biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferifoori

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am reading the Kaplan book for PCAT and it has a lot of information about all the hormones and the glands. all of their names and what they do and stuff; It also has a lot of stuff about plants, We didn't have any of these information in Biology one and two. Do we really have to know all of these information about plants and glands (hormones) for the PCAT?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think knowing all the hormones helps a lot for PCAT. You should know where they are released from, what organs they act on, whats the effect etc. For example, you should you where calcitonin and parathyroid hormones are produced at, whats their role in bone formation or breakdown etc.
Even though you might feel that its a lot of information to memorize, it's not that bad if you break it down. Also, it helps in understanding the menstrual cycle and the reproduction system in male and female. ( female more importantly).
Good Luck :thumbup:

I think knowing all the hormones helps a lot for PCAT. You should know where they are released from, what organs they act on, whats the effect etc. For example, you should you where calcitonin and parathyroid hormones are produced at, whats their role in bone formation or breakdown etc.
Even though you might feel that its a lot of information to memorize, it's not that bad if you break it down. Also, it helps in understanding the menstrual cycle and the reproduction system in male and female. ( female more importantly).
Good Luck :thumbup:

hey! I was going to put that! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely know the hormones, as far as the plants go, I saw maybe 2 questions. The last chapter of the bio review seemed to be helpful as well.

I don't know if this falls under hormones, but I think it's a good idea to know about the stuff secreted during digestion i.e. bile is made by the liver but is stored in the gallbladder and is used for the digestion and absorption of fats. There's also gastrin, HCl, etc. I don't recall this stuff being on the actual test, but I remember that the practice tests I took asked about them, FWIW.