Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear the bio stuff on the MCAT is crazyyy
What is the best way to study for the Bio on the MCAT?
What should I study exactly? How should I study? What materials should I use?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

EK Bio review book is brief and tells you what you have to know for the MCAT, and if you are looking for detailed review, you could Princeton Review. Berkeley Review Biology is the super-detailed version (I posted on EK Bio vs. BR Bio thread how I use the BR bio book). As for practice material, Princeton Review Science Workbook is super. BR Bio has tons of passages (~ 150 passages), however, they sometimes assume a higher knowledge base. I hear EK Bio 1001 is not very representative of the real thing

It's mainly about interpreting the passage well in the moment. Background knowledge will only get you so far (which sucks, but is true).

Members don't see this ad :)
How can I improve my interpretation of passages? What do you mean by that exactly?
Should I study a Bio textbook?

Textbooks should only be used if you require a more detailed explanation than is given in a review book. It is definitely not economical or practical to spend money on textbooks for the purpose of MCAT studying.

Doing well on the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT requires two things: a thorough content review and lots of practice questions (in the form of full length exams).

I suggest reading this thread: 30+ MCAT Study Habits. It will provide you with a range of effective strategies for scoring well on all sections of the MCAT.

Good luck with your studies!