Biomed Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyb26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my BS in Pre-Occupational therapy but I am way more interested in Pharmacy plus my undergrad gpa was not the best.I was thinking of taking my prerequisites at a community college but I saw that the higher biology courses are not offered there so should I get my masters in biomedical sciences to complete the rest of my prerequisites or what?

Members don't see this ad.

A MS is an advanced degree, so it would make you more competitive. But graduate credits are more expensive. And I also don't think you will be taking freshman and sophomore chemistry and physics in a graduate course.

I have my BS in Pre-Occupational therapy but I am way more interested in Pharmacy plus my undergrad gpa was not the best.I was thinking of taking my prerequisites at a community college but I saw that the higher biology courses are not offered there so should I get my masters in biomedical sciences to complete the rest of my prerequisites or what?

Did you think this through at all before you posted this question? Most prerequisite courses are freshman-junior (100-300) level courses. How is a masters degree going to help you to complete 100-300 level courses when you take 500-600 level courses.

If you want to take prereqs, nearly all of them are offered at community colleges. Some pharmacy schools require a bachelor's degree (which you have), but I don't know of many, if any, that require high level course work - 400 or 500+ grad credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I researched the courses at the community college and they stopped at Organic Chemistry and Zoology no biochemistry if I were to enroll in biomedical sciences they have the biochemistry , immunology, and cell biology courses I need hence me asking should I enroll in the masters program after taking as many of the prerequisites I could at a community college.

Well, I researched the courses at the community college and they stopped at Organic Chemistry and Zoology no biochemistry if I were to enroll in biomedical sciences they have the biochemistry , immunology, and cell biology courses I need hence me asking should I enroll in the masters program after taking as many of the prerequisites I could at a community college.

A lot of schools don't even require biochemistry, immunology, or cell biology. Look at the schools around you or schools you want to apply to. The highest biology course most schools want is microbiology. I think I have seen immunology once and I've looked through 20-25 schools. I have seen a few schools that required biochemistry, but I see a lot more schools that don't require it. You could always just take those classes as a non degree seeking student at a university instead of entering a two year MS program.

A lot of schools don't even require biochemistry, immunology, or cell biology. Look at the schools around you or schools you want to apply to. The highest biology course most schools want is microbiology. I think I have seen immunology once and I've looked through 20-25 schools. I have seen a few schools that required biochemistry, but I see a lot more schools that don't require it. You could always just take those classes as a non degree seeking student at a university instead of entering a two year MS program.

This:thumbup:

I have a BS in Biochemistry from years ago. I am taking my remaining undergrad prereqs at a community college, but I am getting a MS in Biochemistry partially to show that I can do graduate level work and it has helped boost my GPA. My method has been really pricey and so is pharmacy school. Also, I have been handling an insane schedule in order to work on my thesis, volunteer in a pharmacy, do graduate and the undergraduate work. My diet is terrible and I feel like I never sleep. My advice is to just kick butt on the courses you need to take, and kick butt on the PCAT if you are applying to schools that need it.

I have a BS in Biochemistry from years ago. I am taking my remaining undergrad prereqs at a community college, but I am getting a MS in Biochemistry partially to show that I can do graduate level work and it has helped boost my GPA. My method has been really pricey and so is pharmacy school. Also, I have been handling an insane schedule in order to work on my thesis, volunteer in a pharmacy, do graduate and the undergraduate work. My diet is terrible and I feel like I never sleep. My advice is to just kick butt on the courses you need to take, and kick butt on the PCAT if you are applying to schools that need it.

OMG! This is my life too!! I had to go to the ER in the spring b/c I was passing a kidney stone from not drinking enough water (b/c I was working in the lab so much). :laugh: Insane is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited: