Biostatistics or Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year MPH student and beginning to choose courses.

Which of the two are easier/more bearable? Biostatistics or Epidemiology? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your strengths, which school you're at and what you mean by "easier/more bearable".

in general though epidemiology is "easier" than biostats for most people

I'm a first year MPH student and beginning to choose courses.

Which of the two are easier/more bearable? Biostatistics or Epidemiology? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you're an MPH student not concentraing in Biostatistics, both courses you mentioned (Biostatistics and Epidemiology) should be quite easy. The Biostats course you take will be watered down. You'll be fine with either or both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be at GWU and we are required to take both so was just trying to see which was easier to start off. I have been out of school for awhile so wanted to have an easier work load for my first semester.

I will be at GWU and we are required to take both so was just trying to see which was easier to start off. I have been out of school for awhile so wanted to have an easier work load for my first semester.

It's really to your advantage to do both in the first semester as they form the basis of many courses in the future.

I'm looking to get into GWU's biostat MPH program and was wondering what requirements you had fulfilled to get in? Only Calc I&II required? (I completed my undergrad at GW in international relations and econ - not exactly math/sci related). Anything else you can recommend to strengthen my application? GPA/Test scores? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!