Birmingham, UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will move to Birmingham, UAB, next fall.
I would like to know which are the best areas to live, and which are the best apartments in the city to rent.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a soon to be MS1 at UAB and was raised in and around the Birmingham area. The first question I have is, will you own or have access to a car? If you won't, then this narrows things down quite a bit. B'ham has a practically non-existent public transportation system. For the car-less, there are tons of apartments around Five Points which is the social scene of the city. Lots of bars, restaurants, and clubs. That will put you around a 2 or 3 block walk from UAB, Cooper Green,Veteran's and Children's Hospitals, as well as the Kirkland Clinic. The only problem is that you gotta deal with the noise, traffic, and your dollar doesn't stretch that far, i.e. a bad apartment for a large amount of cash.

If you do have a car, steer clear of any area which you would have to travel to the hospital on Highway 280. During rush hours, it practically comes to a halt and heaven forbid anyone having an accident which would seriously delay your arrival.

I for one am choosing to live in Homewood which is around 3-5 miles outside of Birmingham via interstate. It's a great area with lots of restaurants, shopping/ malls, parks,etc. and is in a convenient locale to access everthing else in the city. Your dollar goes a little farther rent-wise in this area. What is your price range? For instance, you can get a luxury 2 bed/ 1 bath apartment in Homewood in a complex that is a practically brand new for around $700. Prices of course are a lot cheaper for 1 bed or studios. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and I would be more than happy to point you in the direction of some of the better/more convenient areas in the city. Oh and let me be the first to welcome you to the Ham!

Hey JGDLB!

I am also going to be an MS1 at UAB next year! I am on the waiting list at two apt. complexes in Southside (about 4 blocks from school and even closer to the hospital). Like BamaFlip said, Homewood is also a nice area. Just be wary of the traffic.

Well, looking forward to meeting you both in July!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had that issue. Where are you?

Hey JGDLB!

I am also going to be an MS1 at UAB next year! I am on the waiting list at two apt. complexes in Southside (about 4 blocks from school and even closer to the hospital). Like BamaFlip said, Homewood is also a nice area. Just be wary of the traffic.

Well, looking forward to meeting you both in July!!!!!

LOL are you using someone else's account, because it says you are PGY-2.

I, for one, am living on Highland Ave., which is wonderful for the atmosphere, imo. However, if you want to walk/ride your bike, its a bit far. But, then again, I'm lazy. If you have a car, though, it saves you on gas.

And depending on how you want to live, $490/mon for a studio apt might not be the best deal when you can probably get a 1 BR for less if you live further out there.

i like the area by the botanical gardens....i knew someone who lived there. get a car, though! and remember that highway 280 (i think that's it) has a traffic problem.

I had an apartment in Hoover first year. I loved the location but I got tired of apartment living. The drive was about 10 minutes to school. Rent was 1000 for a 3 bedroom/2 bath.

I'm living in Pelham now, in a house. It's about a 15-20 minute drive now, but it's not too terrible. There's not as much around to do down here though, I still wind up going to hoover or downtown for entertainment.