Loma Linda VS UAB vs Wayne State vs Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobebean131

Reaction score
I wanted to know what school would be my best option to practice in California and be able to pursue something such as Derm or Optho. I know Loma Linda has some crazy rules but it does not bother me that much if it gets me to where I need to go. UAB has offered me a 1/3 scholarship but idk if that will help me match in California.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are choosing a medical school for the sole purpose of practicing in California and matching derm/ophtho, then Loma Linda is a good choice. They have both residencies + your location preference.

However, speaking from experience there are a lot of other factors to consider when choosing a medical school (grades, curriculum, number of home residency programs, cost, etc). I would highly recommend making a pros/cons list for each school to help narrow your decision.

Bias Disclosure: Current student at Louisville

For ultra competitive specialties, applicants generally won’t get to pick location so probably have to decide whether California or specialty more important. If the former, Loma linda is the choice. For the latter, UAB is probably best

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Derm/ophtho in CA may be one of the most specific and competitive matches in the country. I think you should pick either location or specialty that matters more to you.

If it’s location, LLU is a good choice and from what I can tell, most of their ophtho residents graduated from LLU, so they keep their own med students (this doesn’t seem to be the case with their 9 derm residents, and keep in mind, that is a small derm program). Because they keep their own so much, I think it is also your best shot at a CA ophtho program.

If it’s specialty, I would say that either UAB or Wayne State. UAB is probably the “best” program on the list with the most name recognition which definitely matters for competitive specialties. Not to mention, if your cheapest option is also the most prestigious, that’s hard to pass up. Wayne State would be a good option simply because of their connection to both DMC and Ford MC (albeit shaky connections), and they keep their med students too. So, instead of 5 ophtho spots at LLU or UAB, there are 12 spots up for grabs every year where they heavily favor Wayne State grads.

I wouldn’t go to Wayne State because of the declining reputation in Michigan (OUWB grads are taking LOTS of optho seats because they have a mandatory rotation in that specialty) and it’s massive class size.

I feel like LLU and UAB are a coin flip on what’s best for you. If you think location is king, go there and don’t regret it. If you think being more competitive is important, go to UAB. I don’t know too much about either school but I would see if LLU is still to match UAB’s offer before I decide anything.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go to Wayne State because of the declining reputation in Michigan (OUWB grads are taking LOTS of optho seats because they have a mandatory rotation in that specialty) and it’s massive class size.

I feel like LLU and UAB are a coin flip on what’s best for you. If you think location is king, go there and don’t regret it. If you think being more competitive is important, go to UAB. I don’t know too much about either school but I would see if LLU is still to match UAB’s offer because I decide anything.

Wayne State matched 12 into Ophtho in 2022, 10 in 2021, and 9 in 2020 (including some extremely impressive T15 matches: 2 at Wills, 3 at UTSW, one at Oregon, UMich, Utah, Baylor, etc just in the last 3 years). Even accounting for WSU’s large class size, that is impressive. Not to mention 13/31 matched at Wayne St/Ford, which says a lot about how they prioritize their own applicants.

Derm they matched 5/9/8 in 22/21/20, which is also great. I don’t think WSU’s “declining reputation” is really a factor for OP’s ability to match.

But sure, UAB and LLU also make plenty of sense in OP’s case.

Reactions: 1 user
LLU will give you the best chance to match and practice in CA. Matching to CA for optho or Derm will be extremely tough and will require you to work much harder than you would have to as LLU favors the home team. If your support system is close to LLU and that is important to you, I 100% would chose LLU because you will need that support throughout your med school journey. Go where you will be happy because you can't go wrong with any of your options. GL.