Bizarre Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaucyAZN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Watch out for those "out there"-type questions. Here's the most interesting question I've gotten at an interview:
---------------------------------------------
Pretend you have a magic carpet that could take you anywhere around the globe in an instant. Over a 24 hour period, where would you go, and what would you do? Where would you go for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Morning activity? Afternoon activity? Evening activity? Late night activity?
---------------------------------------------
Personally, I actually enjoyed answering this question. It beats "Why medicine?" anyday. It's something different and requires quite a bit of imagination. The take home lesson? Expect the unexpected.

Members don't see this ad.

What possible difference can what you say to this crap matter? (assuming, of course, you don't get flustered and can't answer it, or something) I'm serious, though: how do you handle this stuff? Just keep your cool and say anything you want?

Originally posted by Smoke This:
•What possible difference can what you say to this crap matter? (assuming, of course, you don't get flustered and can't answer it, or something) I'm serious, though: how do you handle this stuff? Just keep your cool and say anything you want?•

I've not interviewed, but I think the best way to handle such questions is to not even flinch. If they're throwing ethics questions and why you want to be a doctor questions, then pop a magic carpet question, just answer it like you'd answer any other question. From what I understand, it's pretty much expect the unexpected. In situations like this, I don't think they're looking for what you say, but most likely how you react and how you respond.

And Smoke, are you down with the state of Pennsylvania?

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kutastha:
•And Smoke, are you down with the state of Pennsylvania?

Andrew•
I try not to whine, but I must warn ya about the @#$%^&$%^&*() girls from California. ;)

late night activity huh?
I wonder what they would say if I said
"I would go to Ibiza for the night life b/c they are up all night!"

Here is one I got last year - not bizarre per se, but interesting...

"If someone asked you to euthanize them, would you do it?"

After I answered that I understood how difficult it is for the medical profession to adequately manage pain (especially for end-of-life patients), I said I would not break the law. My interviewer then said, "OK, in that case, I am going to take you to a far away island where it is not illegal. This person is in a lot of pain and wants to die. Would you do it?"

I liked his approach because he made me explain my position, rather than letting me weasel out of it - we had a lot of fun in that interview. Anyway, just felt like sharing... Good luck everyone!