Black male 3.45 sgpa 3.35 cgpa MCAT 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062008

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I have it down to about 7 or 8. Should I apply to more? I notice that most DO schools really lack diversity.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I have it down to about 7 or 8. Should I apply to more? I notice that most DO schools really lack diversity.

Yeah it's true, but I don't think it's on purpose. With good historically black med schools like morehouse, meharry, and howard DO schools may not be attractive to them, especially since they aren't diverse.

I would say 7-8 is a good number but it's always good to apply to as many as you can afford. Not sure if you specifically want to go to DO school but you would be competitive for quite a few US Med schools as well, so it wouldn't hurt to apply to them. If money is an issue, buy or borrow the current MSAR and look at their class demographics, 10th and 90th percentile for mcat and gpa, and select schools from there.

With your stats, you're a near shoo-in for some DO schools if you have the ECs they are looking for, supportive LORs (including one from a DO), well-written PS, and good interview skills. I would think that 7-8 schools are enough.

As pointed out, you're also in the range for some MD schools, if you have an interest in applying to those as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's true, but I don't think it's on purpose. With good historically black med schools like morehouse, meharry, and howard DO schools may not be attractive to them, especially since they aren't diverse.

I would say 7-8 is a good number but it's always good to apply to as many as you can afford. Not sure if you specifically want to go to DO school but you would be competitive for quite a few US Med schools as well, so it wouldn't hurt to apply to them. If money is an issue, buy or borrow the current MSAR and look at their class demographics, 10th and 90th percentile for mcat and gpa, and select schools from there.

I plan on applying to the 3 HBCU medical schools, Tulane, and my state MD school Univ. of Mississippi Medical Center. That gives me about 5 MD schools. I have the AMCAS fee waiver so that gives me 13 free spots, I might as well use them. What MD schools, public and private, are very OOS applicant friendly? And very "diversity" centered?

I plan on applying to the 3 HBCU medical schools, Tulane, and my state MD school Univ. of Mississippi Medical Center. That gives me about 5 MD schools. I have the AMCAS fee waiver so that gives me 13 free spots, I might as well use them. What MD schools, public and private, are very OOS applicant friendly? And very "diversity" centered?

I know VCU strives for diversity so go ahead and apply to that school. You could also get some love at Drexel even though they have a lot of applicants.

you could go MD if you wanted, unless you have a passion for DO. You're way ahead of the game for DO.