Black suit or other color?

Started by goodies
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goodies

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard conflicting information about what suit color to wear. I have seen a lottttt of residency applicants (non-derm) walk by all wearing black suits. Is black the recommended color, or can we wear other colors like navy blue or gray without standing out too much?
 
Navy blue and gray/charcoal are safe colors anywhere. They're probably even safer and more conservative than black suits. Black suits only recently became the norm.... probably b/c people look pretty sharp in them. I bought a gray suit for interviews.

My question: will wearing pinstripes stand out too much?
 
I think you guys are overly concerned about this suit stuff..as long you're not wearing bright red or something too slutty, you'll be fine!

Black, grey, pinstripes, etc, it's all good. Just get a suit that makes you feel like a million dollars and look great in.

For girls, pants suit or skirt suit...technically skirt suit is more conservative (skirt at the top of the knee..not above). I personally think a button up shirt with a collar looks more sharp vs a plain knit top with no collar - the color pops more.

p.s. Also, remember that in a 2 button jacket, you only button the top one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not wearing a solid black suit and I have to admit that it scares me a little to deviate from the masses. It is still conservative and professional so it shouldn't distract too much.
 
I've gone on 3 prelim interviews so far. I'd say only 1 in 10 guys wore black suits. I think you're in the clear.
 
If you don't wear a completely black suit, you will not get into dermatology. Period. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you ask any of the people who have matched into derm, they will tell you that they had a black suit. No silly pinstripes as I've heard attendings making fun of interviewees who were wearing pinstripes. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're secretly gunning.





And, yes, I'm a liar.
 
stacyapplegreenf05bg.jpg


$20 to the 1st applicant who rocks this

$40 if you're female

😉
 
That suit is pure awesomeness. Not only is it a refreshing color, but it also sports 5 buttons😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad