Bleak Outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasmaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a CA-1 in a well-respect anesthesiology residency and have followed this forum for many years. I've noticed that a few posters constantly post comments about how bleak the future of anesthesiology is going to be, about how salaries are going to be slashed, about how nurses are going to take over the field, and so on....

You're comments are overall pretty negative about the field, and this is serving to possibly scare off really strong medical students from entering anesthesiology. If you want the specialty continue to grow and strengthen over time, you should want the best and brightest medical students to go into anesthesia to represent the field with intelligence, strength, and confidence. Otherwise, it'll end up being filled with foreign grads.

My residency posts a list of where the residents and fellows either got jobs or fellowships. The fellows that got jobs landed prime big city locations with really great schedules. About half the residents landed what sound like fantastic jobs and the other half are going into fellowships at top institutions.

Is your purpose to scare the really good applicants? What's your end game?

What this forum doesn't really need is the continued negatively about CRNAs and how we should use AAs (let's exploit another group of people to ensure high profits, but keep them low enough that they can't rise to become independent practioners????) This forum should be about learning and communication to increase knowledge for everyone. Look at the posts, literally half of them are complaints about the future of anesthesia. Yet you all appear to be employed. I'm sorry if your salaries took a bit of a hit, but it sounds like none of you are having problems paying your bills, vacationing, buying cars, etc

Be better and make this a useful forum again

Members don't see this ad.

People tend to like to complain about things, especially those things that are perceived as slights. Often, those complaints are rooted in real-life observations of salary constraints and diminished job prospects. Certainly this forum provides a unique cross-section of providers, among them activists and educators, who wish to improve conditions in both the academic and private arenas. Salary becomes a necessary discussion point, as it provides a frame of reference for relative value.

CRNA encroachment and the legislation that allows for it to take place is quite possibly the single most important thing affecting our profession. It is only natural that this will be debated in any public forum. Check the nursing forums for analogues.

I agree with you that the discussion on this forum has regressed significantly. Other posters have remarked on the same. Many of us hope that the educational component can return. Maybe you, as someone who has worked an entire week (?) in this specialty can help foster academic discussions.

If you want the specialty continue to grow and strengthen over time, you should want the best and brightest medical students to go into anesthesia to represent the field with intelligence, strength, and confidence. Otherwise, it'll end up being filled with foreign grads.

I think readers are smart enough to pick through all the posts and get a balanced view. There are people with positive outlooks here - think about it, most of us like anesthesia enough that when we're not working, we spend some time hanging out on an anesthesia forum talking about anesthesia. Most of the concerns and fears expressed are really not unique to anesthesiology.

We want the best and brightest to go into anesthesia, but we also want people to come in with eyes open, who have an inkling of various issues that affect healthcare and anesthesia, and still want to be part of the profession. Better that than a top student who's going to go to pieces and endlessly mope about in [shall remain nameless] user fashion if there's no $600K jobs in 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a CA-1 in a well-respect anesthesiology residency and have followed this forum for many years. I've noticed that a few posters constantly post comments about how bleak the future of anesthesiology is going to be, about how salaries are going to be slashed, about how nurses are going to take over the field, and so on....

You're comments are overall pretty negative about the field, and this is serving to possibly scare off really strong medical students from entering anesthesiology. If you want the specialty continue to grow and strengthen over time, you should want the best and brightest medical students to go into anesthesia to represent the field with intelligence, strength, and confidence. Otherwise, it'll end up being filled with foreign grads.

My residency posts a list of where the residents and fellows either got jobs or fellowships. The fellows that got jobs landed prime big city locations with really great schedules. About half the residents landed what sound like fantastic jobs and the other half are going into fellowships at top institutions.

Is your purpose to scare the really good applicants? What's your end game?

What this forum doesn't really need is the continued negatively about CRNAs and how we should use AAs (let's exploit another group of people to ensure high profits, but keep them low enough that they can't rise to become independent practioners????) This forum should be about learning and communication to increase knowledge for everyone. Look at the posts, literally half of them are complaints about the future of anesthesia. Yet you all appear to be employed. I'm sorry if your salaries took a bit of a hit, but it sounds like none of you are having problems paying your bills, vacationing, buying cars, etc

Be better and make this a useful forum again

There are great jobs out there. Fellowship helps in securing a good job in a nice location. The "end game" for me is telling the truth so when young people like yourself complete the residency and fellowship you can't say that you were uniformed. My generation didn't have the Internet or discussion groups online to banter about the specialty or be warned about scum bag groups.

While I may see the glass half empty while others see it half full the fact remains the glass used to be completely full.

What does the future hold? My former Chairman from a top ten program told melast month he was worried the only private practice jobs that will exist in ten years were AMCs, employed positions or Multi-specialty groups. He said this to me without me uttering a word on the subject. As for the CRNAs/AANA we all know the rubber doesn't meet the road or the propaganda far exceeds the reality on the ground.

" possibly scare off really strong medical students from entering anesthesiology" - what does it mean???
" Otherwise, it'll end up being filled with foreign grads." - and this one too?
Do you think that the "foreign grads" are inferior to the US grads?
What world are you coming from ?Elvis is dead.
Just pick up a journal - ye ye in your first year of residency and look at the names and country.
And let me know what you think.
BTW - the schedule think.... We'll talk in few years about that .
Cheers,
2win

There are great jobs out there. Fellowship helps in securing a good job in a nice location. The "end game" for me is telling the truth so when young people like yourself complete the residency and fellowship you can't say that you were uniformed. My generation didn't have the Internet or discussion groups online to banter about the specialty or be warned about scum bag groups.

While I may see the glass half empty while others see it half full the fact remains the glass used to be completely full.

What does the future hold? My former Chairman from a top ten program told melast month he was worried the only private practice jobs that will exist in ten years were AMCs, employed positions or Multi-specialty groups. He said this to me without me uttering a word on the subject. As for the CRNAs/AANA we all know the rubber doesn't meet the road or the propaganda far exceeds the reality on the ground.
when anesthesia jobs are querying trw and equifax to find the candidate, who otherwise has an impeccable record, has the best credit score and is giving personality tests this is NOT A GOOD JOB MARKET i dont care what you say blade..

You are as good as your credit score... LOL....who cares what residency you went to or how good your judgement as a physician is

Reactions: 1 user
when anesthesia jobs are querying trw and equifax to find the candidate, who otherwise has an impeccable record, has the best credit score and is giving personality tests this is NOT A GOOD JOB MARKET i dont care what you say blade..

You are as good as your credit score... LOL....who cares what residency you went to or how good your judgement as a physician is

I have an 848 credit score. I just got another credit card for a free $500 plane ticket and they sent me my Equifax number. You think I'm NAPA material, TIVA or Anesthetix? I don't know if I will pass the personality test. Many people tell me I have no personality.

Things like personality tests and credit scores have always graded on me when it comes to employment. I know they're the employer and it's their business and hiring process but it just seems like it's going too far. The credit score seems like it's none of their business and why not replace a working interview & interview with the personality test that can pigeon hole candidates.

Reminds me of an article I read where an employer was asking candidates to open their facebook & provide their password so the employer could view it during interviews.

Things like personality tests and credit scores have always graded on me when it comes to employment. I know they're the employer and it's their business and hiring process but it just seems like it's going too far. The credit score seems like it's none of their business and why not replace a working interview & interview with the personality test that can pigeon hole candidates.

Reminds me of an article I read where an employer was asking candidates to open their facebook & provide their password so the employer could view it during interviews.

I was once in practice as an FP. I hired someone with bad credit and she turned out to be a nightmare. I would run credit checks and request to see the applicant's social media page. Hiring the wrong person can be expensive and time consuming. I am sure that the employer mentioned by the OP was looking for red flags.

Cambie
ps a background check would be appropriate also.

The credit check I get - though I do think it's an invasion of privacy. But if I was in an interview and was told to pull up my social media page and log in I would just walk out. I don't have anything "bad" up as I'm into clean living and not that self absorbed to post much about my life or take pictures; however, it's crossing the line.

Maybe it would be funny to reply with an equally invasive question "What's your wife's cup size?" :laugh:

I was once in practice as an FP. I hired someone with bad credit and she turned out to be a nightmare. I would run credit checks and request to see the applicant's social media page. Hiring the wrong person can be expensive and time consuming. I am sure that the employer mentioned by the OP was looking for red flags.

Cambie
ps a background check would be appropriate also.

We did credit checks for non licensed employees (ex/ MA's, front office staff since they handled money). A few times we ignored the credit check for an otherwise great applicant. We usually regretted it later.

see! thats how bleak the outlook is for anesthesia employment, they are checking credit scores lol

see! thats how bleak the outlook is for anesthesia employment, they are checking credit scores lol

That's good business. Nobody wants a partner that's damaged goods. You don't need 800+, but if you can't even get a used car loan and creditors are calling, move along. I've seen how two scheming partners can manipulate the schedule for their own financial gain at the expense of the other partners. Always getting the best rooms every few days for a year or so adds up to a ton of money, as in an extra couple thousand a day. That's the kind of stuff financially insecure people do.
We screen for malpractice claims. Imagine that, not wanting an assassin on the team. Is that bad too?