Market Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12balla

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here, in my final year of residency at a large program in Texas, currently on the interview trail for a private practice gig. I know this issue has been addressed ad nauseam, but with the current job market in my town being very saturated, and most larger successful groups getting bought out by AMCs, the only two viable options appear to be going into academia or become an employee for an AMC. My question is for the latter route, if a group says they are still offering a partnership track within an AMC, what does that typically entail? Higher salary? Profit sharing? voting? Is there still a buy in?

I understand it may vary from group to group, but would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this prospect. Or should I just be skeptical of it all together and go to the highest bidder without any pots of gold promised at the end of the rainbow? Your advice, as always, is highly valued and much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Find out if you actually get ownership in the AMC or not. The docs won't have a controlling stake in the AMC, but I'd rather be part-owner than nothing.
If you don't get a share of the company, you aren't a partner and the buy-in is a rip-off.

Last edited:
Find out if you actually get ownership in the AMC or not. The docs won't have a controlling stake in the AMC, but I'd rather be part-owner than nothing.
If you don't get a share of the company, you aren't a partner and the buy-in is a rip-off.
Yeah. Part owner of a future AMC corporate write off. Pass.
If I were you, I'd move. I relocated for a good job opportunity. I'd rather have stayed where I was, but that was not in my best interests. It was the right choice long term.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to hijack the thread, but how does one find a good job, without having a personal network?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how does one find a good job, without having a personal network?
Geographic flexibility + cold calls and emails. I'd guess it's harder now than 4 years ago when I (as a new grad) easily found multiple high-paying moonlighting gigs using Google to locate hospitals in my area. Good people are hard to find - they've fired and hired part/full time anesthesiologists in the last year. But it's not a coastal city.

Reactions: 1 user