Block system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me what other pharmacy school use the block system? I know USN does this ... I find that block systems work great for me, and am definitely applying to USN when the time comes. (But that doesn't mean I'll be ignoring schools with regular class systems, of course!)

Members don't see this ad.

Snowcat said:
Could someone tell me what other pharmacy school use the block system? I know USN does this ... I find that block systems work great for me, and am definitely applying to USN when the time comes. (But that doesn't mean I'll be ignoring schools with regular class systems, of course!)
Mercer uses a block. It's what I'd call a modified block. For example, the P1's this year at Mercer had two classes that met one day a week throughout the entire semester, and then had four or so other classes that were true blocks of about 4-8 weeks apiece. You can look at their class schedules for spring 2006 if you hunt around on the website.

UACP
South
LECOM
UOP I think

Possibly a few others. I could be wrong about one or two above but think I am correct. I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
western university is on block system

Pacific University will be on block system

Pharmcdc said:
University of the Incarnate Word

Idaho State has a modified block system - what they call modules - for the P2 and P3 years. I'm not sure if this is the same as the block system that USN uses, though. Here's a quote from an e-mail from my sister's ex-boyfriend, who's a P3 there (the e-mail was written in February):

"The school prides itself with its "Module" program. P2 & P3 years have successive 6 wk modules that discuss set disease states. Currently, I am in the Mental Health Module. The really cool thing is that the faculty is constantly changing. In one day (3 hours of lecture), we may have 3 diffent professors. The last exam was worth 140 pts and covered a cumulative of new material and material from the last two exam - roughly 10 different professor's questions - a section for each. The modules cover everything about the disease state. For example, for any given subject, we have a scientist telling us what currently is the theory behind the disease state, a clinical practitioner discussing diagnosis, a medicinal chemist discussing drug structure and function and also still another professor discussing the which, how and why of drugs used in said disease state. We are learning a great deal of information. I really can't wait until May - the end of didactics and classroom work - the beginning of a year of 6 wk rotations in profession settings."

Although it isn't as well known, ISU actually is a pretty decent school if you want a clinical education. I'm glad that I decided to go there!