Blood Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DjKanobi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, for my volunteer position in a research project, I have to take the blood pressure of a bunch of kids. We need to take at least three blood pressure readings with 2 minute intervals in between. My question is what do you think is an exceptable value when it comes to variance between the 3 readings for each individual? For systolic maybe below 4 mm? For diastolic maybe below3mm?

Members don't see this ad.

I think even more of a difference is acceptable, especially between the 1st and 2nd measurement, because the kids are nervous and so their BP may jump at first, especially if it's their first time undergoing the procedure - but then on the 2nd and 3rd try, they know what to expect and so they relax, their BP dropping as the result.

Well, the acceptable deviation could be quite large - your blood pressure cycles quite a bit over the course of a day (or even a few minutes). What are the kids doing between readings?

Of course, if you're doing a research study, you report the values no matter what they are - no "do overs" until you get the data you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, for my volunteer position in a research project, I have to take the blood pressure of a bunch of kids. We need to take at least three blood pressure readings with 2 minute intervals in between. My question is what do you think is an exceptable value when it comes to variance between the 3 readings for each individual? For systolic maybe below 4 mm? For diastolic maybe below3mm?

Many factors can affect variability, including your technique. Look up the blood pressure section from Bates' Guide to Physical Examination to make sure your technique is good. Here are some key excerpts about variance:

-Read systolic and diastolic levels to the nearest 2 mm Hg. Wait 2 minutes and repeat. Average your readings. If the first two readig differ by more than 5 mm Hg, take additional readings.
-Blood pressure should be taken in both arms at least once. Normally, there may be a difference in pressure of 5 mm Hg and sometimes up to 10 mm Hg. Subsequent readings should be made on the arm with the higher pressure.

One more thought. Make sure you have cuffs small enough to fit kids. If your cuff is too big, the measured value will be lower than the actual value. Good luck with your study!

Well, the acceptable deviation could be quite large - your blood pressure cycles quite a bit over the course of a day (or even a few minutes). What are the kids doing between readings?

Of course, if you're doing a research study, you report the values no matter what they are - no "do overs" until you get the data you like.

We are measuring all the kids during the morning to avoid as much discrepency as possible. We take four children at a time and do two children while the other two sit down and fill out a questionaire. When we are done taking the first two measurements, we switch and do the other two kids while the other two do the questionaire. All the children have rested at least 5 minutes before coming in to get their pressure taken.

And of course our goal is to report all data objectively. Currently we take their pressure until we get two consecutive readings that are within the range that I stated in my first post. My question is, do you think this is an acceptable range, or is it asking for too much to get readings between these numbers? Any opinions?

Many factors can affect variability, including your technique. Look up the blood pressure section from Bates' Guide to Physical Examination to make sure your technique is good. Here are some key excerpts about variance:

-Read systolic and diastolic levels to the nearest 2 mm Hg. Wait 2 minutes and repeat. Average your readings. If the first two readig differ by more than 5 mm Hg, take additional readings.
-Blood pressure should be taken in both arms at least once. Normally, there may be a difference in pressure of 5 mm Hg and sometimes up to 10 mm Hg. Subsequent readings should be made on the arm with the higher pressure.

One more thought. Make sure you have cuffs small enough to fit kids. If your cuff is too big, the measured value will be lower than the actual value. Good luck with your study!

Thanks for the info!