Blown away by my PCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmchick21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new here, just needed your perspective on my situation. So after postponing my PCAT for all this months , i had my exam today. And i am totally in shock right now after seeing my score. Alright, i know i didn't took many practice test that i should have but i studied entire dr.collins study guide, i did practice here and there and i felt pretty okay about it. I wasn't worried much since i did extremely well in my classes so i had pretty good basic understanding of concepts. But my scores say totally different story. After taking exam, i felt that there was hardly anything came from collins guide as many claimed. Many times i thought is it really PCAT..Overall, i thought my test was hard. So here is how my scores look:

VA- 379
Bio-387
RC-361
QA- 377
CHM-392
Composite - 379

My background info:

Semester away from gettting BS in biochem
One year pharm tech experience
office in pre pharm club
Hospital volunteer
GPA still in process to verify - 3.4- 3.5

I know many of you will say to retake it and i would but i am still thinking if its even worth it. The school i am applying ( Midwestern) their deadline in jan and i don't think they would wait for my another PCAT score. Another school i am applying is U of A but looking at my scores , i know i got no chance. So basically one school for me.

What do you guys think considering my school choice should i retake PCAT or stick with my score hoping they willl give me chance..

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everybody!

I am a new member here to this forum.

I was hoping by sharing my current situation, there are others in the same scenario out there anxiously waiting for answers like myself.
I am a college graduate and currently working as a Full-Time Tech at a Pharmacy. I have almost over a Year and Half experience in a pharmacy and many great LOR's from Pharmacists. However, my GPA in college wasnt the best at all - pharmcas listed my cumm. GPA as 2.37. My score on the PCATS was in the 45% percentile. I am hitting myself now cause I did so poorly in college. Unlike the PCATS, which you can approve by re taking the exam and do significantly better; Improving my GPA to meet the minimum GPA of 2.5/2.7 for some schools in a short amount of time seems almost an impossible task before the next deadline.

I applied to a few school last year and with no surprise, I was turned down or my application was placed on hold due to my poor GPA. I am scheduled to re take the PCATS this January and hoping to place in the 70% percentile and re-taking 2-3 courses in the spring to boost my GPA. Do you guys think this is enough to re apply? Or am I just a lost cause at this point :/

Thanks in advance to any suggestion/responses!

Hello Everybody!

I was hoping by sharing my current situation, there are others in the same scenario out there anxiously waiting for answers like myself.
I am a college graduate and currently working as a Full-Time Tech at a Pharmacy. I have almost over a Year and Half experience in a pharmacy and many great LOR's from Pharmacists. However, my GPA in college wasnt the best at all - pharmcas listed my cumm. GPA as 2.37. My score on the PCATS was in the 45% percentile. I am hitting myself now cause I did so poorly in college. Unlike the PCATS, which you can approve by re taking the exam and do significantly better; Improving my GPA to meet the minimum GPA of 2.5/2.7 for some schools in a short amount of time seems almost an impossible task before the next deadline.

I applied to a few school last year and with no surprise, I was turned down or my application was placed on hold due to my poor GPA. I am scheduled to re take the PCATS this January and hoping to place in the 70% percentile and re-taking 2-3 courses in the spring to boost my GPA. Do you guys think this is enough to re apply? Or am I just a lost cause at this point :/

Depends on what schools are you trying to apply..If applying to new schools , they will take applicants with lower GPA but i wouldn't recommend such schools.Your best bet is to improve your GPA. Most of schools have atleast 2.5 GPA to be considered.

If i were you i wouldn't apply this year, i would wait and retake classes with D's and F's. This way you will improve GPA and in that one year you will have ample time to prepare for PCATS. If you can pull these two off, i am sure you have chance at good schools. Also, if possible try to get job as tech or get volunteer position in pharmacy, will help your application a lot. Don't lose hope, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Because everyone here sucks at it

I hope you were joking ... Well actually I take it back. Because I dont think anyone who has a brain would say something like what you just said. Yes, my English might not be as good as yours and some of us are not even native speaker, but at least we try to learn and be better at it. Not like you who wasted time to go around and tell people how sucky they are when nobody asked for your jugdment.
I don't care how well you do at school and how good you are at English, but your manner showed that you are the kind of person nobody wants to be around.
You are too old for timeout or being grounded because you acted like a kid. I just feel bad for your parents, I hope that your parents will hit or slap you in the face when you say stuffs like this to wake you up because you honestly wont go far in life with that cocky attitude no matter what you choose to do for your career.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you were joking ... Well actually I take it back. Because I dont think anyone who has a brain would say something like what you just said. Yes, my English might not be as good as yours and some of us are not even native speaker, but at least we try to learn and be better at it. Not like you who wasted time to go around and tell people how sucky they are when nobody asked for your jugdment.
I don't care how well you do at school and how good you are at English, but your manner showed that you are the kind of person nobody wants to be around.
You are too old for timeout or being grounded because you acted like a kid. I just feel bad for your parents, I hope that your parents will hit or slap you in the face when you say stuffs like this to wake you up because you honestly wont go far in life with that cocky attitude no matter what you choose to do for your career.
lol

you can try other school with low rating. Like arround 50-70 RATING, you can find many schools and i am sure you will get in somewhere. I have pcat tomorrow afternoon and studied from Dr. collin too and didnt do enough practice. I guess, you were more prepared than me. Now, i am scared :(
yeah i retook PCAt and just got interview...

With Midwestern i think you might have a chance if you apply asap :) I applied to that school as well and from what i've heard if you have decent gpa which you have :) you should get considered.
And I think most of schools accept Jan Pcat as long as you contact them and let them know!! Almost the schools that I have talked to said that as long as you are ok with other parts in your applicant beside Pcat then you should have a chance :)
Good luck!

Yeah, i got interview from MWU...I had to retake PCAT though..

Hello Everybody!

Agreed with other posters. You'll need .... at least a year to take a credit load large enough to offset the 0.13 GPA, especially if you finished with around 120 credit hours in undergrad. As a fourth year Rx student now, every 12 hour semester chock full of As brings my GPA up... maybe 0.05? (This is an off the cuff ballpark guess, with no calculations, mind you)

All of you kids with horrible GPAs and horrific PCAT scores - 8% really? - should stop trying to get into pharmacy school. You will probably fail out once you are in it.

Reactions: 1 user