Blue Book Rotations and Residency/Licensing. need advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroKlitch

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an IMS at Ross University. I recently became aware of Blue Book vs Green Book core rotations and how they can affect your licensing in the future. I am currently doing my Core rotations at a Hospital that has 2 ACGME accredited rotation ( IM and FM), however the rest ( Peds, OB, Surg, Psych) fall under the family umbrella. Will this limit by ability to practice medicine in certain states in the future. I know that in California they accept family umbrella, and in Texas they do not but there is a loop with with getting board certified. However I am mainly concerned about states in the NE like Virginia, New York, Dc, PA. Any information at all, not just about the states listed would be very helpful. Thanks.
 
As the argus said, it is most important to ensure that whatever rotations you do you check with the school before you do them.

It has been almost 12 years since I ran into this issue myself. At the time, I was doing a couple of "core" rotations at a hospital that had an osteopathic residency program in that core. However, they also had an allopathic GME office that sponsored other residency programs. Specifically, I had to list (for my training license in a particular state) where I had done all of my core rotations. I was equally concerned that they would not consider my cores that were done in that osteopathic specialty, but was assured (at the time) that this wouldn't be an issues because of the aforementioned standing with the other ACGME-approved residencies at that institution. Fortunately, as it turns out, it wasn't an issue. I have been, to date, issued unrestricted licenses to practice medicine in four states.

Since the merger of the AOA and ACGME training accreditation, I would imagine that this would be even less of an issue. However, as the argus has stated, you should check with the Ross office before you embark on any rotation to both (1) ensure you will get credit for that rotation towards your clinical weeks for graduation, and (2) it won't cause a problem downstream with regards to future unrestricted (i.e., not just a training license) medical licensure to practice.

Good luck.

-Skip