Board Review Courses: Kessler vs Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitriol102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

didn't go to a course, but if you are a first time taker don't feel that you have to take a course to pass... the SAE-P/Study guides are very useful and readily available for the right price (ie. free)

Members don't see this ad :)
eljefe, that is helpful advice regarding the SAE-P, wouldn't have thought to use those, thanks for sharing (they're listed as $37-49 for residents on acadame' though)

Board Review Courses
Kessler
Baylor
Washington
NYU

from what I've heard from previous residents is the Kessler and Baylor courses are probably the best, Baylor better value

Last edited:
The SAE-P are in supplements to the red journal and the PM&R journal--so if you have access to those back issues (usually the March issues if I remember correctly) for free that's easier than buying on acadeME. Since I was an AAMP&R member from PGY-2 to 4, I had the journals at home already. Did those plus Cuccarello and passed with lots of room. Courses might be helpful for the mock orals though (if your residency doesn't have).

In terms of better or worse, I don't think that's an issue. Knew folks that went to Kessler, Baylor, and UW. All covered same info and all the course takers passed their boards. I would base it on location--what is cheapest flight/hotel stay/etc. for you.

I did Baylors course in 2009. Courses are good if you work full time and this is the only way you will study is to live at a crappy hotel and go to lectures all day. I thought overall courses were good. Some really great speakers that do the rounds-they are at Baylor, Kessler and Seattle etc. Some good and a few duds, but that would be everywhere I guess.

You can definitely get the material elsewhere but I needed a place to crash and just intesively review and they have it all organized in nice booklets and you get to hear some of the greats talk abot what they know best. I thought it was worth the $

ahhhh, yes the supplements. of course I have those and also have access via the PM&R journal with AAPM&R membership. Can't believe the academy actually charges for material through acadame' when it's freely accessible as a member by PDF if you just know where to look.

again thanks for the tips

I did Baylors course in 2009. Courses are good if you work full time and this is the only way you will study is to live at a crappy hotel and go to lectures all day. I thought overall courses were good. Some really great speakers that do the rounds-they are at Baylor, Kessler and Seattle etc. Some good and a few duds, but that would be everywhere I guess.

You can definitely get the material elsewhere but I needed a place to crash and just intesively review and they have it all organized in nice booklets and you get to hear some of the greats talk abot what they know best. I thought it was worth the $

The Kessler course was done in a fancy resort/hotel. I would much rather be in crappy hotel than stay in a fancy hotel and be too busy studying/reviewing to enjoy the amenities. If I were from the area, I would have stayed at an inexpensive hotel and driven to the course.

Last edited: