Boards dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my partner texted me during the 2nd to last osler course tonight about the letter. great timing, abp.

did they ever give a reason why they never expanded testing sites beyond that one corner of the country?

and what's the scoop on how late the test goes on the second day and how far away it is from the airport? looks like the last flight out for me would be about 6:30...... and no doubt I'm not real interested in staying another delightful night in tampa.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
did they ever give a reason why they never expanded testing sites beyond that one corner of the country?

and what's the scoop on how late the test goes on the second day and how far away it is from the airport? looks like the last flight out for me would be about 6:30...... and no doubt I'm not real interested in staying another delightful night in tampa.

god i wish they'd bring back having in Arizona. Jesus, not EVERYONE lives on the East coast, you know??!!

I just ask someone who took it last year that the exam on 2nd day typically goes 'til like at least 4ish. So yeah, while you could theoretically make a 6:30pm, assuming you've already checked out in the morning and stored your bags/etc (which actually isn't all THAT bad given that the exam is apparently just downstairs from the main hotel), for me it's way too hectic. The 2nd day, i just wanna wake up, take a dump, manage to keep some food down to calm my nervous stomach, and head on downstairs w/o the worries of making my flight outta town on time. And especially so near the 4'oclock hour. So all in all, i think we could make it out, but i'm gonna just party that 2nd night and head on out the day after. i'm also coming in on saturday, so sunday i can just relax, study, and adjust my body/mind for the massive west2east coast time change.

Foe those of you who got their dates, are the dates similar to your programs dates last year? Are they earlier or later? Im feeling lucky and I gotts to know.

yes, my exam is nearly the identical dates to when folks here took it last year, so seems fairly consistent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, despite never getting my 'we received your cash' letter from the ABP, I got my exam dates today. They seem consistent with what my program has had over the past few years.

However, a quick airfare search indicates that I will be forced to spend the night in Tampa, as even I am not insane enough to try to catch a 6 p.m. flight...which is the latest flight I can currently find back to Dallas.

I've done both in terms of spending an extra day in Tampa or flying out right after the exam. I'd recommend the latter. It's not really worth it to spend an extra day. While you can go celebrate w/ your co-residents, you could just as easily do that when you get home. There's no reason to spend another $100+ at the hotel, even though it's pretty nice. Just go home & sleep in your own bed.

I think it took no more than 20 mins to get to the airport during rush hour. If you're concerned about storing your bags, I've seen people bring their rolling carry-ons to the test center.

The 2nd day is scheduled to end between 4-5 PM, but by the time you get to that 2nd afternoon, you just want to leave. A number of people finished pretty early.

----- Antony

Got mine. Right on the button.

I'm looking at the exam day schedule where it says the CP day ends at 4:30pm. Under those circumstances, a 6pm flight out sounds pretty realistic with carry-on only.

i'm debating whether to stay at the actual main hotel (intercontinental) vs the neighboring Embassy Suites (0.3 mi, just a short stroll away). At the latter I'm able to get a suite, at a much cheaper price.

Other than price, any real benefit to staying at the non-main hotel? Nice to get away from the hub of hell? others who did something similar have comments? My gut is telling me to just stay at the intercontinental, but man oh man my wallet is saying otherwise. Plus, I'd enjoy the comfort of a suite with a kitchenette, etc.

It depends on your perspective. Some people like being in the main hotel because they don't have to go outside and it is very quick to get to the test site. Others don't care, and enjoy the brief walk because it may clear your head or whatever.

I stayed at the main hotel. Totally recommended it. When I made the reservation I asked for a quiet room away from the elevators. I checked in the night before, walked down the street for dinner (taco bell take out..a guilty pleasure of mine) ordered breakfast as room service, and went down directly to the test center. My only interaction with other people was waiting to get into the test center and during lunch. Since I was only taking AP, I had checked out of the hotel that morning, and checked my bags with the bellhop/concierge. The airport shuttle was about 15-20 min from the airport, so was able to get an evening flight out (it was at 8pm).
Also..totally recommend walking to the mall for lunch..the food court was totally worth it (Chik-fil-a rocks!) and it was able to go and get back to the test in time with time to spare.

Last edited:
Got mine. Right on the button.

I'm looking at the exam day schedule where it says the CP day ends at 4:30pm. Under those circumstances, a 6pm flight out sounds pretty realistic with carry-on only.

what's this test schedule you speak of? I just got a one page letter giving me the dates and then the lengthy explanation of how much you have to pay if these dates are not acceptable to you. No hotel info either.

Someone talked about the schedule and other info being available on the ABP website, so I went hunting. It's here:

http://www.abpath.org/CandBkltIndex.htm

along with "Sample questions". The hotel info supposedly doesn't come until the candidate is certified to be acceptable to take the exam (whatever that means) approximately 6 weeks before.

At any rate, I've booked a 6pm flight out the day of the CP exam, and I've booked a room at Embassy Suites - which I've generally had good luck with (apart from that one in Charleston where they put me right next to the janitor's closet). So there!

Someone talked about the schedule and other info being available on the ABP website, so I went hunting. It's here:

http://www.abpath.org/CandBkltIndex.htm

along with "Sample questions". The hotel info supposedly doesn't come until the candidate is certified to be acceptable to take the exam (whatever that means) approximately 6 weeks before.

At any rate, I've booked a 6pm flight out the day of the CP exam, and I've booked a room at Embassy Suites - which I've generally had good luck with (apart from that one in Charleston where they put me right next to the janitor's closet). So there!

As soon as you know your board exam dates, call the Intercontinental and ask for the ABP rate. You don't have to wait for the hotel info package to arrive to book your room.

Yeah well - I guess I should say that if one collects Hilton points and appreciates unlimited free breakfast and happy hour boozing, the Embassy Suites isn't too shabby :)

As soon as you know your board exam dates, call the Intercontinental and ask for the ABP rate. You don't have to wait for the hotel info package to arrive to book your room.

Members don't see this ad :)
does the Intercontinental NOT have a free breakfast? anyone know about food options in am there? This might influence my decision.

does the Intercontinental NOT have a free breakfast? anyone know about food options in am there? This might influence my decision.

There is a Waffle House right down the street, Im pretty sure they are 24/7 and just people watching there is worth the trip.

The Waffle House is right next to Embassy Suites :laugh:

mcfaddens, the free booze is an Embassy Suites special. You just show up in their courtyard during Happy Hour (4-6pm or so). Free popcorn and nachos too.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I suspected something like that was going to happen when my connection kept stalling.

The hotel info supposedly doesn't come until the candidate is certified to be acceptable to take the exam (whatever that means) approximately 6 weeks before.

weird.... considering many of us got the magic letter telling us we were deemed qualified by the esteemed members of the ABP weeks ago. two different letters, maybe? what a cluster.

anyway i went ahead and got a flight out that night. the hell with it I am so not staying a second longer than necessary.

No free breakfast at the intercontinental, as far as I can remember. I ordered breakast for room service...pretty steep (30 including tip), but good enough and filled me up before the test...don't know about options near the area.

i'm debating whether to stay at the actual main hotel (intercontinental) vs the neighboring Embassy Suites (0.3 mi, just a short stroll away). At the latter I'm able to get a suite, at a much cheaper price.

Other than price, any real benefit to staying at the non-main hotel? Nice to get away from the hub of hell? others who did something similar have comments? My gut is telling me to just stay at the intercontinental, but man oh man my wallet is saying otherwise. Plus, I'd enjoy the comfort of a suite with a kitchenette, etc.

the intercontinental was 149 a night with the ABP group rate.... the embassy suites was about 160 a night.... at least that's what i was able to find just now.

the intercontinental was 149 a night with the ABP group rate.... the embassy suites was about 160 a night.... at least that's what i was able to find just now.

i got a similar $ for Embassy if I did Sat-Wed (like 153 a night). but if you do Sat-Tues it's like 103 a night, but then you have a do a 2nd booking for the Wed (like 160 or so) [they'll obviously give you a same room and won't make you check in/out just for that 1 night, i've done something like this at tons of hotels]. it's just an odd glitch in the system.

but doesn't matter for me, right now i'm leaning towards the Intercont anyhow.

i got a similar $ for Embassy if I did Sat-Wed (like 153 a night). but if you do Sat-Tues it's like 103 a night, but then you have a do a 2nd booking for the Wed (like 160 or so) [they'll obviously give you a same room and won't make you check in/out just for that 1 night, i've done something like this at tons of hotels]. it's just an odd glitch in the system.

but doesn't matter for me, right now i'm leaning towards the Intercont anyhow.

i was able to get the government rate of $104 per night (not including taxes), since my program is affiliated with a va. however, i had to try a few times with a few different receptionists. one said that they "ran-out" of these deals for those days, another said i needed a government credit card, another said it was okay if i just had a government id card (my va id card). it varies. however, if you try, i recommend not mentioning that you are there for the boards. just say your on official government business.:cool:

i believe the opening window of possible board dates is either now or nearly approaching. for those taking the exam during this early period, i'm sure the rest of the folks eagerly (strike that: frantically) awaiting their exams would appreciate any info/thoughts that might be legally offered, as many will plan to do the same those for the last round of exam dates. :luck:

pay it forward.....