Boards dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Zaius

Surgical/Cytopathologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their dates for spring boards from the ABP yet? I'm wondering when we should expect to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a while to wait. We didn't get ours until mid-late April last year.

I have heard of people getting their dates any time from the end of February into, as DrBloodmoney mentioned, April. It's crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately you just have to leave that 6 week stretch open until you know. Some people say that your program's residents will go around the same time every year - thus, if last year's residents took it the first week, you probably will too. But I don't know how true that is.

Unfortunately you just have to leave that 6 week stretch open until you know. Some people say that your program's residents will go around the same time every year - thus, if last year's residents took it the first week, you probably will too. But I don't know how true that is.

That is not a bad guide... I don't know how the ABP picks the program order but they seem to keep it in roughly that order year to year...

Smaller programs may not have that same sense (they may be shifted to fill gaps around larger programs)....

When did y'all get a letter? I haven't gotten a letter yet! Runs amok in panic

When did y'all get a letter? I haven't gotten a letter yet! Runs amok in panic

just yesterday.
wouldn't sweat it though.

perhaps they do stagger them by when the exam is.

god knows.

i've learned now to just take the boards for the beast that they are and quite bitching or worrying (not saying you're doing the former obviously...just my $0.02).

would be nice though if folks started a thread whereby they posted respective institutions' exam dates (after the recent changes to make dates uniformly earlier), just to at least have an idea about what the hell to expect.

just yesterday.
wouldn't sweat it though.

perhaps they do stagger them by when the exam is.

god knows.

i've learned now to just take the boards for the beast that they are and quite bitching or worrying (not saying you're doing the former obviously...just my $0.02).

would be nice though if folks started a thread whereby they posted respective institutions' exam dates (after the recent changes to make dates uniformly earlier), just to at least have an idea about what the hell to expect.

I think thats a great idea!
I know that my program traditionally took the exam in late june, but last year the test was moved to mid June. I haven't gotten a letter yet from the ABP, but they cashed my 2 grand check with no problem back in December so I can only hope they signed me up. Ill post when I get a date with all additional data and hopefully it might give some insight to how the ABP works (if thats possible):luck:

Folks at my program took it in the first week of June last year.

Except for the poor sod of an outlier who took it June 28 and then had to move and start a fellowship at another program July 1. (Only reason we could come up with was that the individual was a transfer from another residency program.)

I'm hoping that won't happen to me.

The ABP are not a creative bunch. The dates that last year's cohort from your program had will closely approximate the window you will get this year. Last year was the first year they moved the dates up, because they recognized that this test can conflict with moves for jobs & fellowships, etc. Everybody tested a few weeks earlier than usual, my program tested in mid May. I know people at a different program that had several more weeks to study, but envy gave way to relief - I was done and they weren't.

Anyway, If you transferred programs you will test with the cohort from your original program.

They do this to maintain the integrity of the exam.

Last edited:
The ABP are not a creative bunch. The dates that last year's cohort from your program had will closely approximate the window you will get this year. Last year was the first year they moved the dates up, because they recognized that this test can conflict with moves for jobs & fellowships, etc. Everybody tested a few weeks earlier than usual, my program tested in mid May. I know people at a different program that had several more weeks to study, but envy gave way to relief - I was done and they weren't.

What if they split the dates for your program's residents last year? Half took it in early June half in mid June. No transfers to explain the disparity.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if they split the dates for your program's residents last year? Half took it in early June half in mid June. No transfers to explain the disparity.

Weird, yours must be a very big program to have to span a two week interval.

Looking through my letters from the ABP from last year:

FEB 19, 2008 - receipt of application and registration form for Spring 2008 exams.

MAR 17, 2008 - notification of exam dates (6/11 and 6/12 for me)

MAR 24, 2008 - letter of qualification to take boards and the time period that it will expire (12/31/2013)

JUL 29, 2008 - Congratulations! you passed AP/CP.

These dates reflect the dates on the letters. I probably received them within a few days of the date, though.

Anyway, If you transferred programs you will test with the cohort from your original program.

They do this to maintain the integrity of the exam.

so if your prgm was mid may last year, i assume it was june before that? (i.e. moving up a few weeks earlier?) trying to get a sense of my own time, as residents here took it 1st week of June last year (meaning i'm guessing it was late June/July before that).

So how's the studying going, Spring candidates?
I'm disappointed at my progress on CP - I admit I'm at a loss as to how to study Clinical Chemistry and feel like maybe I should tackle a more high-yield area like BB or Micro first.
In contrast, doing vast quantities of AP questions seems a lot more palatable.

So how's the studying going, Spring candidates?
I'm disappointed at my progress on CP - I admit I'm at a loss as to how to study Clinical Chemistry and feel like maybe I should tackle a more high-yield area like BB or Micro first.
In contrast, doing vast quantities of AP questions seems a lot more palatable.

1) Read clinical compendium by Mais
2) Do whatever questions you can get a hold of (ie old Rise exams, compendium questions book, Henry question book, etc)
3) Go back to step 1.

I would also go through Osler notes if you have them. They aren't wonderful for clinical chem but they have a lot of high yield info.

I would also go through Osler notes if you have them. They aren't wonderful for clinical chem but they have a lot of high yield info.

Is Osler any good for AP? If not, what would be the best high yield source for AP?

Is Osler any good for AP? If not, what would be the best high yield source for AP?

Osler wasn't that helpful for AP, in my opinion. I didn't really exhaustively look at them though. The only parts I really looked at were the neuropath and the cardiovascular (cardiovascular was helpful). Robbins is actually fairly high yield for AP. The highest yield for AP though is paying attention during residency.

3) Go back to step 1.
:) Thanks. Staying the course seems like half the battle.

EDIT: For my study break, I Streetviewed 4830 W Kennedy Blvd... (No Panera in sight?)

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,134.2816540349708,,0,-1.0283018867924525&amp;cbll=27.944759,-82.526444&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=4830+W+Kennedy+Blvd,+Tampa,+FL+33609&amp;sll=27.944673,-82.52655&amp;sspn=0.703633,1.455688&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=27.956046,-82.522345&amp;spn=0.010994,0.022745&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=addr&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=27.944759,-82.526444&amp;panoid=6NxBS_wRKGQzKhLjfrUcfg&amp;cbp=12,134.2816540349708,,0,-1.0283018867924525" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Seems like it's pretty close to coastline. Is there really no decent beach close by??

Last edited:
I think it's on the other side of the building - there is also a large mall with a foodcourt that is close. I would go to that instead of waiting at Panera.

Don't know about beaches. The complex is kind of in the middle of the Tampa area.

Panera is just to the left of the building - right past the gas station you can see. On the other side of the street is a fairly big mall with extensive food court. The beaches really NOT close; the airport is just a few minutes away.

Panera is just to the left of the building - right past the gas station you can see. On the other side of the street is a fairly big mall with extensive food court.

Most importantly, the gas station has beer.

so if your prgm was mid may last year, i assume it was june before that? (i.e. moving up a few weeks earlier?) trying to get a sense of my own time, as residents here took it 1st week of June last year (meaning i'm guessing it was late June/July before that).

that would be correct

I got a letter from the ABP dated March 5th. It said "Thanks for the $2200. We'll send you a letter in march letting you know about the dates."

Strong work in letting me know that the payment cleared, ABP.

I got a letter from the ABP dated March 5th. It said "Thanks for the $2200. We'll send you a letter in march letting you know about the dates."

Strong work in letting me know that the payment cleared, ABP.

LOL, Your $2200 is very important to them! You, on the other hand, can wait for them to get the lead out. Love that the letter is dated March 5th, and they tell you to wait for a letter in March! I wonder if they mean next March...

Some of the other residents and I were discussing this the other day and one of them brought up an excellent point: The number of residents taking the boards is not a large number. Even if you throw in retakes or other circumstances, it is still substantially less than 1,000 people. I'll say an estimate of 500-600, which is probably off, but I'll leave the research to someone else.

It has been 10 weeks since our applications were due. I'm darn sure they don't work weekends. So 50 days, minus holidays which I'm doubly darn sure that they take. Even with 500 apps, that is 10 applications a day or 50 a week. I don't know the number of employees there, but 1-2 people should be able to get through, approve, and schedule 500 people by now, even the crazy complicated apps. There should be no reason that we don't have our dates yet. Heck, I haven't even gotten my 'we have received your crap' letter and either have 2 other residents I know.

We are all mature professional adults despite our petty squabblings on message boards. I think it is despicable that we are asked to block out over a month of our lives because the ABP wants to play mind games. Newsflash to ABP: The CP boards themselves are enough punishment and torture to delight even the most depraved sociopath. Please just give us our dates!

Did I mention that for the Canadian Royal College exams, you find out the next day if you passed or failed?

Darn you Canadians and your sensible test practices. :laugh:

I'd be willing to wager that the test costs much less than 2200 dollars and that you have more than one option for test site location too.

Well... unfortunately you would be wrong :) The downside is that you apply a year in advance for "assessment of training" which comes with an upfront fee of C$525. After that goes through, you register and pay a second fee which as far as I can tell is C$3200 for a two-day AP exam in Ottawa, which involves an oral component and lugging your own microscope. Bah.

It has been 10 weeks since our applications were due. I'm darn sure they don't work weekends. So 50 days, minus holidays which I'm doubly darn sure that they take. Even with 500 apps, that is 10 applications a day or 50 a week. I don't know the number of employees there, but 1-2 people should be able to get through, approve, and schedule 500 people by now, even the crazy complicated apps. There should be no reason that we don't have our dates yet. Heck, I haven't even gotten my 'we have received your crap' letter and either have 2 other residents I know.

I tried going through those numbers last year too and got equally confused. Of course, bear in mind they also have the subspecialty exams to deal with. But I really can't figure out what takes so long - I know that some of it depends on a "credentialling committee" which has to approve your application, so it isn't all about the employees and paperwork. Supposedly there should be an automated, online application system soon (when I complained last year about these delays, that was what I was told was in the works) but I don't know how much into the future this is. I didn't get my "we received your application" letter last year until I complained some time in mid february.

I tried going through those numbers last year too and got equally confused. Of course, bear in mind they also have the subspecialty exams to deal with.

I'm not sure if this necessarily applies to the spring administration. Subspecialty exams are only offered in the fall. I believe the applications are due some time in May.

To the OP & anyone else that's wondering, from my experience, you take the boards the same time as previous years not in terms of the actual date but in terms of order. For example, my residency always seemed to take their exam during the beginning of the 2nd week of the administration. I think re-takers are always the 1st 2 days (AP & then CP). Keep in mind that I'm only speaking from experience in terms of the spring exams. I have no idea if the fall exams follow the same scheme.

Personally, I think the process is unfair. Why do some programs always have the benefit of extra study time? I think this would be an excellent question for Dr. Bennett at one of those roundtable discussions they have at meetings.

----- Antony

Personally, I think the process is unfair. Why do some programs always have the benefit of extra study time? I think this would be an excellent question for Dr. Bennett at one of those roundtable discussions they have at meetings.

That's a good point, at the same time people should plan their studying without thinking you'll get those extra weeks. If you plan on getting assigned the earliest time slot, then anything else will be a "bonus," I guess. I'm sure the ABPath answer would be that it's an unavoidable consequence.

Maybe they should award choice of exam dates based on some kind of qualifying score (like board scores :laugh: ), or award choice based on when you get your application in.

OK so ive been studying for about 8hrs continuously for an exam that I have no idea of when its gonna happen. So is almost the end of March has anyone gotten their dates yet? and if so how did they compare to your programs last year dates? (I think im beginning to hallucinate coagulation factors attacking my dog should take a break now)

Maybe they should award choice of exam dates based on some kind of qualifying score (like board scores :laugh: ), or award choice based on when you get your application in.

I shocked that they don't offer expedited processing & dates assignment - for a fee of course. I probably would have paid to go in the very first round just to get it over with & stop having PVCs over the stinking thing.

Per ABP website:

DATE ASSIGNMENTS. Spring 2009 date assignment letters/admittance forms were mailed on March 27. Candidates who have not received their letter by April 6 may call the Board office to request that the letter be mailed again.

Per ABP website:

DATE ASSIGNMENTS. Spring 2009 date assignment letters/admittance forms were mailed on March 27. Candidates who have not received their letter by April 6 may call the Board office to request that the letter be mailed again.

Im a little disappointed in the ABP. The initial letter clearly states "Exact examination dates will be sent in March to those who have registered." And they send them out today the 27th? They had till tuesday the 31st to do it, why so early?

I hate exam-related dreams.

Studied coag at the beginning of the month - as evidenced by epic FAIL performance on RISE today, I've already forgotten most of it.

OK so ive been studying for about 8hrs continuously for an exam that I have no idea of when its gonna happen. (I think im beginning to hallucinate coagulation factors attacking my dog should take a break now)

Just got my dates, letter was postmarked the 26th.

Good luck, my friends!

Some of the other residents and I were discussing this the other day and one of them brought up an excellent point: The number of residents taking the boards is not a large number. Even if you throw in retakes or other circumstances, it is still substantially less than 1,000 people. I'll say an estimate of 500-600, which is probably off, but I'll leave the research to someone else.

We are all mature professional adults despite our petty squabblings on message boards. I think it is despicable that we are asked to block out over a month of our lives because the ABP wants to play mind games. Newsflash to ABP: The CP boards themselves are enough punishment and torture to delight even the most depraved sociopath. Please just give us our dates!

Look at the ABP's financial statement posted here (Public information):
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2007/350/969/2007-350969609-0405a00b-9O.pdf
It is obvious that the ABP is impoverished organization that can not muster up the resources to review 10-15 applications per day. Perish the thought they would actually act to get the dates sent out swiftly so that people could actually get the most economical rates for air travel to the exam that everyone must now take in Tampa.
Just a reminder:
From January 2003 ABP newsletter (see: http://www.abpath.org/200301newsltr.htm)
The American Board of Pathology (ABP) is dependent for operating revenue on the fees for its certification examinations. The ABP has led in the development and use of computer systems for the administration of the certification examinations, the use of multiple computer examination sites for the simultaneous administration of primary certification examinations, and the use of a virtual microscope system. In 2003, the ABP will reduce the time for the primary certification examinations (anatomic pathology and clinical pathology) from 1.5 days each to 1 day each. This will decrease the number of weeks in the primary certification examination cycle and decrease result-reporting time.
These developments come at a cost, and the Trustees have reluctantly agreed to increase examination fees to cover this cost. Therefore, the fees will be increased as follows:

Combined examinations (any combination) $2,200
Single examinations $1,800
Recertification $1,000
These fees will become effective for candidates taking examinations after the 2003 Spring primary examinations and will be in effect for all subspecialty examinations in 2003 and for the Fall primary examinations. The fee for recertification will become effective as of the 2003 application cycle.
These increased fees are in line with those charged by American Board of Medical Specialties member boards of comparable size, as determined by the number of diplomates certified yearly.

Spring 2003 primary certification examinations (Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology) of The American Board of Pathology will be administered via computer at the examination centers of:
The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Deerfield, Illinois
The American Board of Radiology, Tucson, Arizona
The American Board of Pathology, Tampa, Florida

From the January 2002 newsletter (see http://www.abpath.org/200201newsltr.htm)
Beginning in 2002, the Spring examinations for primary certification (APCP, AP, or CP) will be held at four computer examination sites. Applicants will indicate their site preferences by ranking all locations in order of preference. Assignments will be made at the discretion of the ABP. The sites are as follows:
Tampa, Florida at the American Board of Pathology
Tucson, Arizona at the American Board of Radiology
Deerfield, Illinois (suburb of Chicago) at the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Dallas, Texas at the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology

My take: when the ABP stopped offering the exam in Arizona, Texas, and Illinois and required everyone to go to Tampa, then shouldn't the cost savings for this tax-exempt institution (the ABP) been passed on by reducing the exam fees?
Also what is the rationale for having the fee for one examination ($1800 for AP or CP) be more than 80 percent of the fee to take both examinations ($2200)?
I about vomit when I think about someday possibly having to go back to Tampa to recertify.

Last edited:
just got my dates. ?: i've heard that it's pretty insane trying to fly out the day of boards, and instead to just leave the next day (especially for folks traveling back to the West coast, where the earliest flight out of Tampa is like 6:30pm). anyone have an idea when the 2nd day of boards typically finishes up and recommendations in general.

Foe those of you who got their dates, are the dates similar to your programs dates last year? Are they earlier or later? Im feeling lucky and I gotts to know.

Similar for mine, but earlier than two years prior.

I just checked, and for me there are no flights back home after about 6:30 PM. Looks like I'm staying one more night whether I want to or not. Oh well, I guess my goal will be to get my liver on to the 2010 exam, under acute pan-hepatic steatosis.