Boards info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is curious, I thought I would post a bit about my boards experience. Obviously I am not going to post any details about certain things, as I would be tracked down and autopsied whilst alive.

For those who don't know, path board exams take place in Tampa in an office complex attached to a large hotel (Intercontinental). Very convenient to the airport (10 minutes or less) and next to a large mall. If I had to go someplace for boards, it might as well be Tampa because flights are relatively cheaper and it's close to the airport. It was frigging hot though. Being a contrarian, I stayed at a different hotel and walked there. I don't think I saved any money, the boards offers you a slight (maybe 10-20%?) discount off the room rate, but since the hotel is expensive anyway, nearby hotels end up being similar costs. And nearby hotels have free breakfast which intercontinental does not.

The first process is the application. I believe you can apply for your boards date pretty early. The deadline is listed as January 1st the year of the exam (for the spring exam, it's different for the october exam). Almost everybody I think sends in their application a week or two before January first but in retrospect there was no reason to wait that long and I should have just done it in november.

Requirements
You can always visit www.abpath.org and there is a bulletin of information. The application is long and repetitive, you have to fill in lots of information. Most of it is about your training. How many months of Surg path, how many months of cytopath, etc etc. You have to estimate how many surg path cases you saw and how many cytology cases you saw, as well as how many bone marrow bx, FNA, and autopsies you performed. The only itemized list is for autopsies, which includes both the date of procedure and cause of death. You don't have to attach anything else or "prove" that you did them. I think it is basically up to your program director to certify that your list is accurate, but I am not entirely sure about this, some of it may be based on your ACGME log if you do those.

You also have to submit either a full medical license or a copy of your application for it. I didn't know I could get a license before finishing residency, but apparently I could and I did. At the time of the application I hadn't received it, but when I received my license two months later I mailed them a copy. For the application purposes all they needed was the copy of your license application.

They also make you pay a fee which I think was ~$2400 for AP and CP exams. It's more if you do them separately (like maybe $1800 for each). They also have rules which you should definitely read if you plan on trying this - it might not be allowed to take them separately in certain situations. I would take them both at the same time. Most people do.

After a couple of months (maybe up to 3-4) they sent me a letter saying my application was forwarded to a credentialling committee or something like that, and was awaiting approval. Then they assign you your date. Not everyone is on the same date - there is a 5-6 week window, currently from mid may to end of june, and your date could be any two days in that window, although they keep most people who are in the same residency program on the same date so you can share rooms or more likely not cheat and share answers with people who haven't taken it yet.

Exam days
My exam was wednesday-thursday, I flew in monday night because I'm a paranoid individual and the extra day was nice to have so that I could cram in peace without being bothered. Your opinion on this may vary. In terms of flying home, exam ends around 4-5pm so you might be able to get a flight home that evening. Otherwise go the next morning.

You get a detailed schedule on the website of what the exam is, as well as a list of things you can't bring (basically you can't bring anything unless you want to bring your own microscope or polarizer - you can't bring paper, pencils, pens, cellphones, calculators, cheat sheets, your favorite attending, etc).

AP exam was on day one, showed up at test center 7:30 or so, test started at 8am (I think). There was some introductory stuff and then the first section was all "written" questions. "Written" questions are multiple choice questions without any images. Something like, "All the following features are associated with Down Syndrome EXCEPT." There were no k-type questions on my exam. No short answer. No free form answer. All multiple choice, mostly 5 possible responses, sometimes less.

Second session was image based - all computer based images or diagrams. Then there was an associated multiple choice question. The images were either gross images, cytology images, histopath, and some other stuff like I think flow and molecular. This was the hardest part of the AP test (by far, I thought, particularly the cytology).

Third part was glass slides. 60 slides, divided into three boxes of 20 slides. Microscope had a 4x, 20x, and 40x. I missed having the 10x but whatever. Each slide had an associated multiple choice question, most of them were "This lesion is" (pick one of the following). Some assumed you knew what it was and asked a question, like what syndrome it was or what clinical features were associated. The vast majority of the slides were good quality - some crappy ones.

Fourth part was 16 virtual slides, 1 cytology and 15 surg path. They had a practice test on the abpath website which you should almost certainly try many times before you take the test. It's a virtual slide interface, similar to most but with some differences of course. The cytology slide was terrible. Most of the virtual slides were good quality.

Day 1 ended at 5pm. Day 2 started sometime around 8 or 9 am, all CP (if you were taking CP).
First part was all "written" questions, similar to the AP. No images. Questions like, "All of these bacteria are gram negative except"
Second part was image-based. Karyotypes, molecular data, gels, hematology smears and slides, micro images including surg path images of micro stuff. All images on the computer, no real slides or anything. Multiple choice questions.
Last part was the practical, lots of calculations, blood bank stuff like antibody panels. Still all multiple choice.

I can't actually remember the order that the CP tests were in, I might have switched the 2nd and 3rd parts.

The exam room itself has individual cubicles. Everyone has a computer, microscope, and paper and pen to write down stuff or do calculations. The computer has an online scientific calculator which works pretty well, you can also practice using it at abpath website.

Then you go home and assume you failed. I guess scores get mailed 6-8 weeks after the exam period ends.

In terms of studying, basically everything is fair game. The glass slides for the most part are not diagnostic dilemmas - either you know what it is or you don't. They don't show you something like an ADH/DCIS overlap and ask you to pick which one, or show you a prostate cancer and ask you if its 3+4 or 4+3. There are some difficult cases though that may have no right answer, you just have to take your best guess.

If I had to study over again, I would study more about gross pathology (like pictures of tumors, CNS malformations, etc). Would also pay more attention to stuff like risk factors for cancer or recurrence, WHO-book type stuff. But for AP the best preparation is to be a good resident during your training and pay attention, go to conferences, etc. A lot of the questions are based on more common stuff. For CP you just have to study a lot. You need to look at lots of images of micro and heme things so you don't miss easier questions, and know basic things. The Mais clinical compendium was very helpful, although obviously not comprehensive. Osler notes are sort of helpful for parts of the test, mostly for the CP portion (particular the non malignant heme stuff, micro). The bloodbankguy website is great, that has the osler notes on it. I would not take the test without heavily studying those notes.

Anything I missed? I will put this in a sticky or link to it. But those with experience, add other thoughts also.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In case anyone is curious, I thought I would post a bit about my boards experience. Obviously I am not going to post any details about certain things, as I would be tracked down and autopsied whilst alive.

For those who don't know, path board exams take place in Tampa in an office complex attached to a large hotel (Intercontinental). Very convenient to the airport (10 minutes or less) and next to a large mall. If I had to go someplace for boards, it might as well be Tampa because flights are relatively cheaper and it's close to the airport. It was frigging hot though. Being a contrarian, I stayed at a different hotel and walked there. I don't think I saved any money, the boards offers you a slight (maybe 10-20%?) discount off the room rate, but since the hotel is expensive anyway, nearby hotels end up being similar costs. And nearby hotels have free breakfast which intercontinental does not.

The first process is the application. I believe you can apply for your boards date pretty early. The deadline is listed as January 1st the year of the exam (for the spring exam, it's different for the october exam). Almost everybody I think sends in their application a week or two before January first but in retrospect there was no reason to wait that long and I should have just done it in november.

Requirements
You can always visit www.abpath.org and there is a bulletin of information. The application is long and repetitive, you have to fill in lots of information. Most of it is about your training. How many months of Surg path, how many months of cytopath, etc etc. You have to estimate how many surg path cases you saw and how many cytology cases you saw, as well as how many bone marrow bx, FNA, and autopsies you performed. The only itemized list is for autopsies, which includes both the date of procedure and cause of death. You don't have to attach anything else or "prove" that you did them. I think it is basically up to your program director to certify that your list is accurate, but I am not entirely sure about this, some of it may be based on your ACGME log if you do those.

You also have to submit either a full medical license or a copy of your application for it. I didn't know I could get a license before finishing residency, but apparently I could and I did. At the time of the application I hadn't received it, but when I received my license two months later I mailed them a copy. For the application purposes all they needed was the copy of your license application.

They also make you pay a fee which I think was ~$2400 for AP and CP exams. It's more if you do them separately (like maybe $1800 for each). They also have rules which you should definitely read if you plan on trying this - it might not be allowed to take them separately in certain situations. I would take them both at the same time. Most people do.

After a couple of months (maybe up to 3-4) they sent me a letter saying my application was forwarded to a credentialling committee or something like that, and was awaiting approval. Then they assign you your date. Not everyone is on the same date - there is a 5-6 week window, currently from mid may to end of june, and your date could be any two days in that window, although they keep most people who are in the same residency program on the same date so you can share rooms or more likely not cheat and share answers with people who haven't taken it yet.

Exam days
My exam was wednesday-thursday, I flew in monday night because I'm a paranoid individual and the extra day was nice to have so that I could cram in peace without being bothered. Your opinion on this may vary. In terms of flying home, exam ends around 4-5pm so you might be able to get a flight home that evening. Otherwise go the next morning.

You get a detailed schedule on the website of what the exam is, as well as a list of things you can't bring (basically you can't bring anything unless you want to bring your own microscope or polarizer - you can't bring paper, pencils, pens, cellphones, calculators, cheat sheets, your favorite attending, etc).

AP exam was on day one, showed up at test center 7:30 or so, test started at 8am (I think). There was some introductory stuff and then the first section was all "written" questions. "Written" questions are multiple choice questions without any images. Something like, "All the following features are associated with Down Syndrome EXCEPT." There were no k-type questions on my exam. No short answer. No free form answer. All multiple choice, mostly 5 possible responses, sometimes less.

Second session was image based - all computer based images or diagrams. Then there was an associated multiple choice question. The images were either gross images, cytology images, histopath, and some other stuff like I think flow and molecular. This was the hardest part of the AP test (by far, I thought, particularly the cytology).

Third part was glass slides. 60 slides, divided into three boxes of 20 slides. Microscope had a 4x, 20x, and 40x. I missed having the 10x but whatever. Each slide had an associated multiple choice question, most of them were "This lesion is" (pick one of the following). Some assumed you knew what it was and asked a question, like what syndrome it was or what clinical features were associated. The vast majority of the slides were good quality - some crappy ones.

Fourth part was 16 virtual slides, 1 cytology and 15 surg path. They had a practice test on the abpath website which you should almost certainly try many times before you take the test. It's a virtual slide interface, similar to most but with some differences of course. The cytology slide was terrible. Most of the virtual slides were good quality.

Day 1 ended at 5pm. Day 2 started sometime around 8 or 9 am, all CP (if you were taking CP).
First part was all "written" questions, similar to the AP. No images. Questions like, "All of these bacteria are gram negative except"
Second part was image-based. Karyotypes, molecular data, gels, hematology smears and slides, micro images including surg path images of micro stuff. All images on the computer, no real slides or anything. Multiple choice questions.
Last part was the practical, lots of calculations, blood bank stuff like antibody panels. Still all multiple choice.

I can't actually remember the order that the CP tests were in, I might have switched the 2nd and 3rd parts.

The exam room itself has individual cubicles. Everyone has a computer, microscope, and paper and pen to write down stuff or do calculations. The computer has an online scientific calculator which works pretty well, you can also practice using it at abpath website.

Then you go home and assume you failed. I guess scores get mailed 6-8 weeks after the exam period ends.

In terms of studying, basically everything is fair game. The glass slides for the most part are not diagnostic dilemmas - either you know what it is or you don't. They don't show you something like an ADH/DCIS overlap and ask you to pick which one, or show you a prostate cancer and ask you if its 3+4 or 4+3. There are some difficult cases though that may have no right answer, you just have to take your best guess.

If I had to study over again, I would study more about gross pathology (like pictures of tumors, CNS malformations, etc). Would also pay more attention to stuff like risk factors for cancer or recurrence, WHO-book type stuff. But for AP the best preparation is to be a good resident during your training and pay attention, go to conferences, etc. A lot of the questions are based on more common stuff. For CP you just have to study a lot. You need to look at lots of images of micro and heme things so you don't miss easier questions, and know basic things. The Mais clinical compendium was very helpful, although obviously not comprehensive. Osler notes are sort of helpful for parts of the test, mostly for the CP portion (particular the non malignant heme stuff, micro). The bloodbankguy website is great, that has the osler notes on it. I would not take the test without heavily studying those notes.

Anything I missed? I will put this in a sticky or link to it. But those with experience, add other thoughts also.

GJob man, sticky this.

I've decided to read entire Henry for CP. Is this an overkill?

GJob man, sticky this.

I've decided to read entire Henry for CP. Is this an overkill?

Not really overkill, but I don't know if it would help a ton. The graphs, images, etc are all definitely worth looking at though, and read any chapter where you aren't comfortable with. But reading Henry is not as high yield as going through study notes, board remembrances, practice questions, summaries, etc. The information is all there, it's just that when you read full chapters it's hard to pull out the key points and have them stick in your brain.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just now took it?

Did you:
1.) Eat lunch at Panera after standing in line for 45min only to have scarf down your POS sandwich?
2.) Did the douche staff scream at you to not sit on the hallway outside the exam room, even tho there is obviously no other place to wait?
3.) Get drunk at PF Chang's at the mall across the street night before the exam?
4.) Get the group taxi to Mons and buy lapdances while slapping high fives with some random FMG?
5.) Smoke a cheap cigar from the hotel gift shop with some random guy while he is crying about this being his 4th attempt at passing the exam?

if you didnt, you really didnt "experience" the boards per se.

Ha, no I took it last month.

In response:

1) No, I did not go into Panera. I went to the mall food court for lunch. Minimal wait and only about 5 minutes walk. Much better choice.
2) They did raise their voices at people in the hallway. They do get worked up about it, but I probably would too if I had the office neighbors complaining every other day about a bunch of nerds standing around in the hallway.
3) Didn't get drunk there, but did go to PF Changs
4) Sorry, didn't do that. I'm a loser anyway and very boring. After I had a beer or two at the downstairs bar, I went back to the hotel and watched the NBA finals.
5) No cigars. But I did meet a couple people who were repeat visitors, so to speak.

Interestingly, when I was there there was some convention of young businessmen at the hotel, they were all there in the lobby in identical attire. "Business casual," I believe they call it. Basically they looked and sounded like about 60 copies of the same guy you will see at every nightclub in Manhattan. I hate that guy. If you saw the movie "Boiler Room" it was like everybody in that office.

As a newly minted 2nd year I already feel like the clock is tickin'....Thanks for the insight!

What was your study schedule like? (How many months before, how much time each day etc. - and I know the usual disclaimers about quality vs. quantity apply.)
Many people I've talked to say they studied AP/CP concurrently (e.g. one week AP, next week CP), with AP predominanting earlier in the year, and ending CP-heavy.

I heard from a recent Canadian Royal College exams (ABP equivalent) candidate that they heard THE NEXT DAY re: pass/fail.
Wow. After years of "wait 6 weeks" conditioning, I'm not sure I could handle 24hour TAT.

I'll sticky yaah's write-up in the FAQs.

Last edited:
Study schedule? Hard to say specifically. I started studying "in earnest" probably around February, but it didn't really get intense until about 6 weeks before the test. By "intense" I mean up to 8 hrs/day. Prior to the 6 weeks before, it was maybe an hour or two per day, since I was still doing rotations. I still kept to my normal schedule in terms of going into work, going to bed at normal time, etc. Had a week's vacation in there where I spent part of the time studying. As for AP/CP, I varied depending on what my mood was. I would usually spend all my studying time during one specific day on one specific area, but not always.

I am not really one for studying for tests more than 6 months in advance. I understand it might work for some people. Instead, I try to pay attention and do all I can to learn the material as I go through residency, then when it comes time for studying it's more consolidation than it is learning new material. I think that's where a lot of people run into trouble. Unfortunately, the best way to get questions right (or have a shot at getting them right) is to first and foremost understand the material. Thus, my step I "strategy" for studying was to go to lectures in M1/M2 and read the stuff they told me to read. When it came time to study there wasn't much to do except practice questions. For the boards, there is simply too much information to understand it all, and a lot of what there is is simple rote memorization (which mycobacteria are scotochromagens, for example, or the deferral criteria for blood donation). But for a lot of stuff, AP and heme in particular, if you have good basic knowledge and problem solving skills that goes a long way, and cramming isn't going to make up those deficiencies. A lot of the AP exam is simply experience.

I dunno, my study methods do not really apply to most people because they are hard to explain and/or objectionable. My studying consists of trying to find practice questions in various ways (books, old osler questions, websites) and just reviewing stuff that I am not sure about. There is something to be said for repeatedly going over things that don't make sense to you or that you have a hard time remembering (like I had problems with hemoglobinopathies, inherited immunodeficiencies, and adrenal hormone chemistry, to name a few).

That being said, I would make sure you have, if possible, the 3-4 weeks prior to the actual test date free of any serious commitments, because any free moment you will probably feel guilty if you are not studying. That's not to say you should spend every waking moment studying.

Everyone has a different sequence of books, prep material, questions, etc. that they go through for boards study. I personally think that the way to pass CP is to keep Mais clinical compendium as your constant companion.

Having said that, I have two tips

1) Do something every day. Don't worry so much about how much time you spent studying or how many pages you read or how you are going to get through all of your study material. You probably won't get through half of it. Just make sure you do something. Do a bunch of questions. Read a few pages of Mais or Sternberg. Go through a section of Osler. Just make sure you do something. You will gain every day that way.

2) If you are thinking about something that you don't know during the day, look it up. I used to stop every day and look up a wet heme finding, sometimes looking the same thing up multiple times (ie whats a heinz body again?), but its a way for those things to stick in your mind, and a way to start accumulating things that you do know instead of worrying about what you don't know.

Thank you for posting your experiece. I just started my second year, but it seems to me that time flies by and soon I will be sitting at the boards scratching my head.
Good luck to you.

People say the boards are about breadth more than depth. I'm trying to get a handle on how broad I should be making my study objectives vs. what to give up as being totally random (e.g. Americans with Disabilities Act).

For AP for instance, I've been told there is no neuromuscular path, and fairly little cardiac/transplant material. No IHC.

Are they hot on eponyms/syndromes/inborn errors of metabolism?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought there were a couple of questions this year on heart transplant-related issues. There was also a fair amount of cardiac path. But there was no neuromuscular on mine, except maybe a couple of written questions on specific degenerative diseases.

As far as the eponyms and syndromes, those are always going to show up, you just never know which ones and how often. The congenital syndromes are always asked about in some fashion (trisomies, inherited translocations, imprinting stuff, etc).

There are questions on IHC. I think that perception is there because a lot of the study and review material is from before IHC was really important. I can recall quite a few questions on IHC, although certainly not a ton. They are usually written-type questions about interpretation or differential diagnosis issues, proper staining patterns, etc. They don't usually do stuff like show you an immunostain and ask if it is positive or not.

As a reminder for general consumption - we do not discuss specific questions or problems on these forums. You never know who is watching and if you take the test you have to sign something saying you won't disseminate any info or your score could be voided.

I was also recently subjected to the 16 hours of jedi mind tricks that they call the AP/CP boards. I agree with the first post regarding flight arrangements before and after, being semi-neurotic it just made more sense to fly in early and leave the next day. Bring a sweater, dress in layers, blah blah blah.

The exam and the time leading up to it were, without question, the most miserable experience of my life. You will marvel about how you just got your ass handed to you on the CP test. Enjoy! :laugh: I hope to God I passed this stinking beast of a test.

The old posting about the path boards is spot on, they try to trick you. Also, the clinical scenarios or data tables on the CP practical were (in some cases) incredibly long considering you have very little time to synthesize the data.

This test is a bear, and it makes the USMLE (any step) look like a walk in the park.

Not really overkill, but I don't know if it would help a ton. The graphs, images, etc are all definitely worth looking at though, and read any chapter where you aren't comfortable with. But reading Henry is not as high yield as going through study notes, board remembrances, practice questions, summaries, etc. The information is all there, it's just that when you read full chapters it's hard to pull out the key points and have them stick in your brain.

What are these things you talk about? Where can I get ahold of this?

Thanks!

Study notes you can make yourself or collaborate with other residents to divide and conquer. Practice questions can come from the Osler Course, the ASCP course, and some textbooks available for purchase (mostly AP related). Board remembrances, as I said, are actually illegal. Many programs have senior residents who have older board remembrances that have been passed on for years.

Study notes you can make yourself or collaborate with other residents to divide and conquer. Practice questions can come from the Osler Course, the ASCP course, and some textbooks available for purchase (mostly AP related). Board remembrances, as I said, are actually illegal. Many programs have senior residents who have older board remembrances that have been passed on for years.

Indeed...the most powerful study resource are remembrances. But don't expect to get them from other programs. This is a hush-hush kinda thing. They exist at many programs but are not publicized because of the obvious risks.

Indeed...the most powerful study resource are remembrances. But don't expect to get them from other programs. This is a hush-hush kinda thing. They exist at many programs but are not publicized because of the obvious risks.

They are constantly making new test items and phasing old ones out (my mentor used to write questions for them eons ago). I believe that the statistics for the new test items are the reason it takes for freaking ever to get your results, but that could just be one of my whacky ideas again.

I digress. Remeberances (if they exist) seem kind of risky because I imagine that they age poorly, and of course there's that ABP pledge thingy. You could end up spending significant time learning something that was phased out of the test. Also, the quality of the rememberances is entirely dependent on the knucklehead that committed them to paper. If you've seen some of the people who made it out of whatever-metropolis pathology program, you'll know exactly what I mean. I wouldn't trust some of these people to feed my goldfish, let alone feed me leads on an exam as important as this.

Bottom line, if you read books and have solid, broad case exposure in your residency you will probably be OK. Seriously.

Remembrances are interesting. I saw a set which had a list of some of the cases that had appeared on the test over the years, and some of the ones I saw on the list sounded exactly like cases that I saw, only I think the diagnoses on the remembrances were wrong. There were also cases on the boards for which I thought there was no one clear answer with the material available. But I agree that they are risky to rely on, because you don't know where the information is coming from. Case in point: I overheard people in the lobby discussing a bladder case after the AP portion, and their diagnoses were very much incorrect.

Even more to the point the ABP knows that remembrances are out there...

While they can't change every question, but they can always change a question to make the remembrance wrong (if the remembrance was right the first time). Certainly, learning answers from remembrances is not a good idea...

quick content ?:

As I heard there are not that many lab management-type ?s on boards, I'm planning on just taking a hit on these. But would they show up in the AP or CP portion?

also, what about other sorta "non-science" type path board ?s i.e. stats, coding/billing, etc. ? What part, AP or CP, do these show up?

(not saying these areas are unimportant in LIFE...but just trying to focus my studying on actual, testable, pathology .. and am willing to take a hit or just guess on the rest).
thanks

They show up in both. There are not tons of questions, but there are enough. Some of them you can study for (CLIA related, Bethesda system, things like that). Some are from left field.

Okay, I've read the ABP guidelines over and I still can't figure out if I'm allowed to wear a watch or if that counts as a 'personal item' It's not a digital watch but I wasn't sure if they had decided to outlaw ALL watches. Does anyone know?

Okay, I've read the ABP guidelines over and I still can't figure out if I'm allowed to wear a watch or if that counts as a 'personal item' It's not a digital watch but I wasn't sure if they had decided to outlaw ALL watches. Does anyone know?

i think watches are fine, so long as you don't like strap on a TI-85 or some other Hugh Jass graphing calculator to it, with the capability of memory storage. And i'm sure if you've got one the beeps every hour on the hour, they'll pull you aside and beat you (if the other test takers don't).

I'm pretty sure I was allowed to keep my watch on.

Not so sure, I seem to recall taking my watch off.

They won't even let you bring your own writing utensils. I remember that they kind of made light of people who claim to have lucky pencils or something. As if a lucky pencil could save your butt on that test.

Cos I really don't have enough to freak out about...
http://www.abpath.org/CandBkltDescrAPCP.htm

AP Sections
Written 141 questions, 2.5 hours = 1.06 minutes/question.
Practical (images) 108 questions, 1.5 hour = 50 seconds/question :eek:
Practical (microscopic/virtual) 76 questions, 3.5 hours = 2.7 minutes/question
------------
Total AP 325 questions

CP Sections
Written 140 questions, 2.5 hours = 1.07 minutes/question
Practical 100 questions, 2.75 hour = 1.65 minutes/question
Practical (images) 120 questions, 2 hours = 1 minute/question
------------
Total CP 360 questions

Cos I really don't have enough to freak out about...
http://www.abpath.org/CandBkltDescrAPCP.htm

AP Sections
Written 141 questions, 2.5 hours = 1.06 minutes/question.
Practical (images) 108 questions, 1.5 hour = 50 seconds/question :eek:
Practical (microscopic/virtual) 76 questions, 3.5 hours = 2.7 minutes/question
------------
Total AP 325 questions

CP Sections
Written 140 questions, 2.5 hours = 1.07 minutes/question
Practical 100 questions, 2.75 hour = 1.65 minutes/question
Practical (images) 120 questions, 2 hours = 1 minute/question
------------
Total CP 360 questions

dont know if I would freak out with those numbers, a slam dunk image or short question takes maybe 15 seconds max, so you save time for the ones your not sure of. I think the practical section (like having to put more than 5 facts together, do an equation, or read a long question) is gonna be the real time cruncher, those are the ones im worried about.

Actually I think deschutes is more right on. i almost ran out of time for the ap practical. on the other hand i think i was the 2nd person done for the cp practical. there was plenty of time for that.

Agreed. The AP practical with images (the last section where you have to do 108 questions in 90 minutes) is a real time cruncher. For each question, you either know it or you don't and you have to make up your mind rapidly. Some of the images (probably 10%) are pretty bad, either due to blurry out-of-focus photomicrographs or bad color contrast. Anyways, before you know it, the test is over.

The written portion gives you plenty of time to finish. The questions are quite short (as compared to the USMLE Step 2 and Step 3 where the questions seem like novels) so there is plenty of time. I was able to get through all of the questions in about an hour and then spent the rest of the time pondering the questions that I flagged (about half of them)...used up all the minutes for this section. They test on a lot of random stuff including a few questions on stuff I haven't thought about since med school...I felt like the kid in Slumdog Millionaire, at times. One question seemed like a freebie...I won't tell you what it was about but it was really easy. I wonder if you automatically fail if you get that question wrong.

The slides portion of the test, which is now the first section before lunch, consists of 20 slides + 5 virtual + 20 slides + 5 virtual + 20 slides + 6 virtual. The virtual slides were of decent to good quality...none as bad as that first practice virtual slide on the ABP website.

Apparently, many people feel like crap after the test. I was one of them. The rest of the cohort from my institution felt similarly. After asking the obvious question of, "What the f*** just happened?", we accepted the fact that the test was hard and went home...leaving a blood trail.

Actually I think deschutes is more right on. i almost ran out of time for the ap practical. on the other hand i think i was the 2nd person done for the cp practical. there was plenty of time for that.

Really! Wow I have been hearing from folks that the CP practical was the real time cruncher for test takers last year. Anyone here who took it last year have any advice on how to manage your time during the exam? Dodobird are you taking the test again this year as a second timer?

Really! Wow I have been hearing from folks that the CP practical was the real time cruncher for test takers last year. Anyone here who took it last year have any advice on how to manage your time during the exam? Dodobird are you taking the test again this year as a second timer?

Don't get too caught up in certain questions - the time crunch happens because you spend 15 minutes on one question early on, and then run into trouble. If it's a question you know is going to take you awhile (like a calculation that you have trouble with, or an image that you want to stare at for 45 minutes), skip it and come back to it after you do the rest. As far as I know, every question counts the same.

The slides portion of the test, which is now the first section before lunch, consists of 20 slides + 5 virtual + 20 slides + 5 virtual + 20 slides + 6 virtual. The virtual slides were of decent to good quality...none as bad as that first practice virtual slide on the ABP website.

?? I was told that you do 3 sets of slide boxes (20 slides each) individually (i.e. do one, get the next one...and so on, but can't go back to the prior box), and THEN you do the virtual images. Is this now different? I may have come across it on the abpath website but read over too fast...plus i'm trying to avoid anything related to the site or the boards in general, i'm already stressed enough.

?? I was told that you do 3 sets of slide boxes (20 slides each) individually (i.e. do one, get the next one...and so on, but can't go back to the prior box), and THEN you do the virtual images. Is this now different? I may have come across it on the abpath website but read over too fast...plus i'm trying to avoid anything related to the site or the boards in general, i'm already stressed enough.
You can do the virtual images at any time really but you can only do a set of 20 glass slides at one time. And yes, if you turn in one set, you can never get those slides back.

Dr. Bennett will make things clear when you sit down and she announces the instructions at the beginning of the section. She is pretty clear about it so no need to stress.

nope first and hopefully only time (crossing fingers and not thinking about 10 years from now). the ap images were laughable. i think it took so damn long because if it wasn't obvious or didn't make sense i was trying to find the jedi mind tricks at play (diagnostic material in corner of image, for example). i thought cp was easier to get through particularly w/ equations and panels and whatnot. you know it or you don't. takes fifteen seconds to bang out the answer on the little calculator.

it's very reassuring to know that everyone feels like a steaming pile of dog crap when they leave.

i am wondering about equations, if it is just the formulae at the end of Mais, hard to imagine that this fills up a significant portion of the practical test.

Last edited:
I heard that they changed it so now after passing you have to re test periodically for the rest of your career?

How much of an annoyance will this be?

I heard that they changed it so now after passing you have to re test periodically for the rest of your career?

How much of an annoyance will this be?
all specialties recognized by ABMS (american board of medical specialties), if they do not already do so, are moving toward requirements for re-certification-some specialties have required this for years. remains to be seen what will be situation in pathology. i've heard some scuttlebutt that an exam may not even be required for re-cert--stay tuned.

All I can say to those who have taken the test already is: At least you have Memorial Day weekend off!

I'll second that.... when I'm not studying I feel guilty.. and when I am studying I freak out about all the crap I am forgetting. Arghhhh! I need a vacation...bad. 2 weeks left till i take this thing...

I'll second that.... when I'm not studying I feel guilty.. and when I am studying I freak out about all the crap I am forgetting. Arghhhh! I need a vacation...bad. 2 weeks left till i take this thing...

wow, 2 more weeks of misery? i feel for you, bro. i'm SO thankful mine's coming up next week. i wanna get this damn thing over with. i wish mine had actually been late May. but mid to late June? i think i literally would die (cause of death: insanity, but MANNER of death...?? perhaps unknown).

Well, I have more than 3 weeks left.:confused:

Last edited:
Did anyone figure out where the Z-plane focus cytology slide is hidden??

Mine's next week. I'm crossing my fingers that the dates will hit that sweet spot in my study period where rate of cram finally >> rate of attrition.

Yeah another thing...I always prided myself on having a fast metabolism.... well studying for these board exams has proven that my metabolism isn't that fast after all.

I gained over 10lbs since i started studying for this damn thing in February... you know how it goes...you come home from work, get something to eat, spend a little time with the spouse, say you're gonna workout later on and then before you know it your tired as all heck from staring at Mais for 2hrs and you just want go to bed.

I bet my cholesterol has skyrocketed in the last couple of months from my crappy diet and sedentary lifestyle. Sorry for the rant.... I rewatched Supersize Me on hulu during one of my pathetic study breaks, and I can't wait to get this board over with. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the great post Yaah! I'm sure you did well!

Question: you mentioned "heme" many times in your post - do you mean hemepath or straight up heme? How much hemepath would you say was on the exam and what was the level of difficulty?

I also recently took the boards this Spring and would like to add to Yaah's experience.
Mine was actually a little different, I think they started to change the process midstream.

Day 1 AP
Part 1-Slides/Virtual images-They combined this section. You check out a box of 20 slides (3 boxes total) and you do virtual slides in between. Actually they let you do the slides or images in any order but that was how it was recommended. It was fine and I felt there was plenty of time to look at both. I was a little concerned with starting with this section but I think it was actually good.

Part 2-Written-the usual questions. They were actually REALLY short (one sentence or two). Pretty straight forward and a few "all of the following except" questions.

Part 3-All images and pretty much straight ID. Was kinda nice to end with that.

Day 2 CP
Part 1-Written-This had all the subjects of CP without any images. There was even a few management questions.

Part 2-Practical with images-Pretty much micro and heme questions.

Part 3-Practical-This was sort of like part 1 with blood bank panels and a few calculations. The calculations and BB panels weren't too bad actually. But I thought the questions similar to part 1 was pretty hard.

Overall the staff was really nice and the facilities was very comfortable. I would bring a sweatshirt. I stayed at the Intercontinental so during breaks I would go to the hotel and relax on my bed. I got a really good deal through travelocity.com by booking my airfare and my hotel in a package. It was definitely cheaper. The hotel is VERY nice.

They have a shuttle that picks you up from the hotel but remember that you need to call ahead to get picked up. You might want to call that day you fly to tell them around what time to come pick you up. Although when I was leaving they said that there was a shuttle leaving on every hour and half hour. So I am not sure.

As for studying, I felt that osler was good for getting the BIG picture.
CP
Compendium is definitely a MUST. Although like everyone said, it is not all inclusive. BB guys/osler notes are really good. Koneman images are great. I recommend a Red cell morphology book (I used the ASCP new one).

AP
I recommend Leftkowitch and I found Essentials for anatomic pathology helpful. Actually the Washington Manual for surgical pathology was a nice overview of AP. I used Robbins Atlas for images and the Hopkins website.

Good luck!

I recently took the test as well. I'm an AP-centric resident and I didn't think the AP portion was all that hard with the exception of all of the cytology images in the 3rd part of the test. If I had to study again, I'd focus on going through either baby demay or cibas prior to the test.

The CP portion was a different story. I studied long and hard via clinical compendium and osler notes and I still thought that this part of the test was a total beatdown. I felt like the images weren't that hard but on the other sections there were lots of regulatory questions and clinical chemistry esoterica. If I had to study again, I'd focus way more on chemistry and way less on molecular/genetics (very few questions in this area). The only consolation for me coming out of this part of the test is the fact that everyone I know that's taken it has thought they'd failed at the end.

Thanks for the input..... mine is next mon/tues. I am also AP centric... and most of my time spent studying has been for the CP portion. I'm going over the compendium again this week and getting frustrated at all the stuff I've forgotten. For CP, I used the compendium with companion, bbguy notes, most of the osler CP notes (i went to the review course too), kohnemann plates, ASCP powerpoints (only some of the topics, in particular that mammouth micro ppt because I suck at micro).
For AP I used Leftkowitz, Cibas images (baby), Holladay (I got bored with this book halfway through using it), Dr. Sinard's Yale notes, some of the Washington manual, Robbins and Rosai images, and those Hopkins cases.

Most of my attendings said to "focus on the CP, as long as you go to a decent program the AP shouldn't be a problem". Man, I hope this is true. It's good to hear though that it seems that everyone feels like crap after the CP exam, at least we're all in the same boat. I wonder how those CP only residents feel after taking the CP board. We had one in our program a couple years ago and I'm convinced she just studied for the board her entire 3rd year, and read all of Henry.