Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can you score higher than a 90 on part 1 boards by just studying decks and old tests?

• YES

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • NO

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little obsessed with this topic right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. I think that if someone studies just the cards and old exams that is a guaranteed pass...even around average (85). But I'm taking the gamble that to get the 90 is pretty hard and it is going to take more time. I have just about read the Kaplan book through and I've been referencing and reading text books as well. I am using the cards only in the last week or two. I plan on just cramming those in at the last minute, memorizing all the little facts that I can. We'll see. I hope after the test I can say, "man I didn't need to study that much. that was a waste of my time" as I ride off with my 90!

Hey B.C. How you doing out at Forsythe? Have you gotten out to a Sox game?

One CAN get a 90 or higher just by using the Decks and old exams. I think sometimes we minimize the importance of properly studying those items (I know I do). It means looking at every answer on the front of the Decks and knowing why they wrong ones aren't right. In then involves reciting ALL of the information from the back of the card and being familiar with all the details that are listed.

Old exams are a similar thing. LOTS can be learned from them, and it helps to have a couple of textbooks handy to research some of the answers that you get wrong. Once again, almost verbally, the wrong answers must be exaplained and an understanding of why they are wrong must be solidified.

Many people probably just look at the front of the Decks and give little heed to the back of them. In my opinion the fronts are worthless. Sure, they jog your memory a little bit, but the real gems are on the back of those cards. Afterall, no NBDE exam is going to list those same Deck questions (far too easy), but they WILL test over and over again on the information contained on the back.

Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're going to a sox/yankee game after the boards! I'm pretty stoked. BTW I sure hope you're wrong. I took an old test over Christmas and was getting mid 80s. Now after decks I'm getting in the 90s. I know the decks were written from the tests but I'm hoping it will be good enough for the real deal.

I do think Gavin is right in that if you really pay attention to the back material...that is great preparation. I also agree that the front questions are not that helpful. I guess I am just trying to cover my butt. Kaplan has a lot of good info and summarizes things well...however, it is overkill in a lot of topics as well (I just skimmed those so I have seen it once!). Man, I just don't want to screw up this test! :eek:

UNLV OMS is uber obsessed with the boards right now. :laugh:

Gavin already said it - the key is to studying the backs of the cards. I think a lot of it also has to do also with how thorough your courses were when you took it. Maybe have some reference texts on hand to look up anatomy structures you've forgotten or diagrams in biochem. If you all are looking through extra books, I'd recommend looking through "First Aid for the USMLE" for the Micro & Path sections and any other section applicable to Part I.

UNLV OMS Wannabe and OMS FAN....are you two classmates? Who's got the better grade? :D Just kidding, I don't care who's got the better grade! Both of you should be each other's partners for the board study! Quiz one another on different Deck sections....

That'll really help you guys. I studied with a classmate of mine and we quiz one another all the time and those questions we quizzed on one another, tend to stick in our head a lot more! Man, don't you guys only have 75 people in your class? So two of you are interested in OMFS, are there more in your class? I'm sure there are.....I foresee lots of intraclass competition!!

:laugh:

You two will have the upper hand though because y'all are SDNers! :thumbup:

Bill, has the better grades!

OMS,

Like you, after rolling through the Decks multiple times, the lowest section score I've had was gross anatomy, and that was an 88. I've been getting 90-93in Biochem/Phys and Micro/Path. Of course, the most recent of those exams is now 6 years old, which worries me a bit.

Col Sanders said:
Bill, has the better grades!

For everyone...Col's comment is really funny bc both our names are Bill :laugh:

Nice Col.
Yah-E, not many people are very outspoken about specializing in our class. Mainly bc no one knows how we will do on the boards. Im sure in six months everyone will come out of the woodwork, especially the Col :laugh: . It doesn't matter which one of us has the better grades as long as we both beat you out of a spot :laugh:

Yah-E said:
UNLV OMS Wannabe and OMS FAN....are you two classmates? Who's got the better grade? :D Just kidding, I don't care who's got the better grade! Both of you should be each other's partners for the board study! Quiz one another on different Deck sections....

That'll really help you guys. I studied with a classmate of mine and we quiz one another all the time and those questions we quizzed on one another, tend to stick in our head a lot more! Man, don't you guys only have 75 people in your class? So two of you are interested in OMFS, are there more in your class? I'm sure there are.....I foresee lots of intraclass competition!!

:laugh:

You two will have the upper hand though because y'all are SDNers! :thumbup:

Yeah, we are classmates (Wanabe is the one who got me onto SDN). He is working his butt off at Forsythe right now though so we can't study together...I don't know if there are any others who are looking at OMS, could be. Are there a lot of OMS hopefuls at Nova, Yah-e? And...when do you leave for LSU?

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Nice Col.
Yah-E, not many people are very outspoken about specializing in our class. Mainly bc no one knows how we will do on the boards. Im sure in six months everyone will come out of the woodwork. It doesn't matter which one of us has the better grades as long as we both beat you out of a spot :laugh:

Wanabe is right. It seems like it is almost taboo to talk about specializing in our class. Only a couple have come out with it. I also think he is right in that after boards we will see them coming out of the woodwork. :)

I want to officially come out of the woodwork right now (for Wanabe)and say that I have decided that OMS is not for me. I like all the other specialties except perio, but I am like a man on a fence, I cant decide anything for the life of me. Its alot more pressure in school if you choose to specialize, and a cake walk if you dont. However, doing well on the boards does open up the specialties as an option. If I got my hopes up right now and decided to specialize those hopes may be crushed come july 12th, most of us can't decide until after boards. Your right our class is very secretive and silently competitive, I am sure its like that everywhere, and i think its OK as long as you dont undermine someone else. I.E. Schoolwide grades this last semester, my B was determined by the class evaluations even after getting 100% on the Midterm and Final(UNLV students will understand this). I have never given a bad evaluation for honest effort but I guess some of our classmates think otherwise.

Bill and Bill, huh? Interesting...I knew one of you was Bill because we've chatted on a messenger service. Now I'm confused....which Bill did I chat with? At Nova, only I'm "out of the closet" for OMFS, but I know two or three are seriously considering. We have 106 people in my class including me.

Can we name one of you Billie and the other Billy? :laugh:

So we've got Col, OMS Fan, and UNLV OMS Wannabe, man, talking about UNLV invasion here on SDN. Are all three of you in the same group since your class is divided into two groups? So what you guys think of B. Hahn? Guy's goofy isn't he? Him and I participated in a Pre-dental summer program at Marquette Dental school together back in 2001. We went golfing every other day in Milwaukee! That kid makes me laugh! Just talked to him last week as matter of fact!

176 spots for OMFS in 2006, looks like 3 seats (Billie, Billy and myself) are taking right here, huh? :thumbup: (wishful thinking is always encouraged) Y'all better get at least a 90 or else I'll officially ban you guys from SDN (with the help of Henna).

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
You just couldn't resist that one huh Griffin :)

Wait, I forgot the rest of the words and phrases necessary when properly using the word "uber" in a sentence.

It should read as follows:

"UNLV OMS is like uber obsessed with the boards! He's like totally freaking out!"

For oms fan: The above sentences should clear up the proper use and syntax of the word "uber" for you.

I agree, OMS fan should be Billie. Ill be Bill. I've PM'd you before but I will not admit to chatting with you in any kind of "service" as you put it, after all I am married with a kid :laugh:
Yes, we are all in the same class. I think I can speak for all and say B is a little out of the nine dots. He doesn't really talk with anyone and keeps to himself.
As for the Col, we'll have him converted to OMS by 2006.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I agree, OMS fan should be Billie. Ill be Bill. I've PM'd you before but I will not admit to chatting with you in any kind of "service" as you put it, after all I am married with a kid :laugh:
Yes, we are all in the same class. I think I can speak for all and say B is a little out of the nine dots. He doesn't really talk with anyone and keeps to himself.
As for the Col, we'll have him converted to OMS by 2006.

Billie...might as well be Sally :laugh: I think during first year we decided that I'd be big Bill and you could be little Bill :laugh:

Billie:

I leave for LSU on Friday, June 4th driving up to New Orleans from Fort Lauderdale. My official externship starts on Monday, June 7th at 7 AM with morning rotations. I also found out that another extern will be there for a month that overlap my externship for 3 weeks. Externships usually will only take 2 externs during busy summer months. He's from University of Louisville School of Dentistry.

My externship: 6/7 - 7/4
His externship: 6/14 - 7/10

I will be assigned to the Chief Resident (6th year OMFS resident) and learn from him. Much more about my externship later......stay tuned. :thumbup:

ok, sally it is then.
Well, this thread has gotten a little off topic. Any more opinions about the poll out there?

one fine day i will vote......amen