Bob Woodruff's Special

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigNavyPedsGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! That was amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me the real point of that special, which was very interesting, was that the military is very good at saving lives that couldn't be saved before, but very bad at caring for those people after the fact. Hopefully this report will rattle some cages (similar to the Walter Reid report in the Washington Post a couple of weeks ago) and the VA will get its act together.

What did everyone else think?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was by far the best television that I have seen in a long time. Real reporting, all the way. Made me glad that I didn't sign anything, but angry all the same, because of all the negative things that stopped me from signing.

I used to think that the VA secretary seemed like an OK guy. No real reason, just based on the way he talked about doing right by veterans. Man, did Bob Woodruf make him look like an idiot. Especially when he transitioned from the doc at the big rehab center, the vet in Texas not getting care, and then 'All VA centers provide the same great care' guy. Ouch.

I thought that overall the piece was very well done. It seemed like two different stories for each half hour

1st half hour: DOD care is great, saving lives, doing amazing things
2nd half hour: VA can't do anything right for TBI patients once they get out of the big VA TBI centers.

The problem will be that the lay public don't understand that the VA and DOD health care systems are completely seperate and will therefore end up with the impression that the military doesn't take care of it's soldiers.

The problem will be that the lay public don't understand that the VA and DOD health care systems are completely seperate and will therefore end up with the impression that the military doesn't take care of it's soldiers.

I think all the news coming out of Walter Reed, specifically how senior adminstrators (Commander of Hosp, SG of Army) have ACTIVELY ignored conditions there over the last couple of years will do more than enough to give the public (lay or not) the correct impresson that the military doesn't take care of it's soldiers.

This is just a microcosm of the whole Iraq thing. 'Sexy stuff' is fun and easy to do. Invade and take over a country with minimal troops in a week - no problem. Succesfully run the country that you took over - uh, yeah, maybe we should have thought of the aftermath a bit more.

Save battlefield wounded, get them stabalized, shipped to Landstuhl, then to Walter Reed in days - no problem. Take care of these wounded soldiers long term - uh, yeah, maybe we should have thought of that a bit more.

I would have been nervous even before this piece and the others came out. That place plain stinks to work at
I have been on this site for 2-3 years and still waiting for the USAF FP doc that says his/her clinic is good to work at. I will say that I know someone at the USAF Academy, and they told me things were much better there than at their previous bases.:cool:

Can this piece be seen on the net somewhere? I missed it....

I will say that I know someone at the USAF Academy, and they told me things were much better there than at their previous bases.:cool:

I would think that having a 4-star USAFA alum just down the road at Peterson would ensure nice creature features at that Colorado school for recalcitrant boys and girls...