Bold Moves and Gambling With Fate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluejay0428

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About a month ago I asked you guy's for advice about pursuing my MD/DO or continuing down the NP path.

After careful consideration I've decided to swing for the fence and kiss the next ten years goodbye. Physician it is. I'm forgoing NP school (which I've already been accepted to) and frankly, it scares the bejeezes out of me.

I don't suppose anyone on her is doing the University of Maryland Science in the Evening program?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on taking the plunge! I can see where that would be a very tough situation for you to have to decide on, but fortune favors the bold..... that should sort of be the unofficial nontrad motto, I think.

"kiss the next ten years goodbye"

If that is how you view things, this will be a very very unpleasant process for you, and you will likely become jaded.

A doctor is a service professional with a background in science. If you don't like or at least find the science/training interesting....

Members don't see this ad :)

If that is how you view things, this will be a very very unpleasant process for you, and you will likely become jaded.

A doctor is a service professional with a background in science. If you don't like or at least find the science/training interesting....

It was meant to be sarcastic; that's all. Don't need any preaching.

I love science, medicine, and people; otherwise I wouldn't have even become a nurse.

My goodness. It's just an off hand comment referencing the amount of time and debt that go into following it up. Don't read so much into it. There's no indication there at all that the OP wouldn't find it interesting or even unpleasant (Though, guess what, plenty of it will be unpleasant. Fact of life.) All I see in that comment is just that it's 10 years of earning potential that they've let go by choosing MD/DO over NP.... and frankly, in the nontrad forum, it's something a good chunk of us can sympathize with. This is NOT the easy path for quite a few of us, and it's ok to reference the relative difficulty of it without having your motives and determination questioned. It would be completely normal and healthy to show a little apprehension up front, really.

Strong choice. Enjoy the journey. We are with you on it.

come back in the middle of your pre clinical years and tell me how "interesting" and "pleasant" the experience is for u buddy

I remember you have a high GPA and great dedication. You will likely succeed. Welcome to the world of Pre-Med.

About a month ago I asked you guy's for advice about pursuing my MD/DO or continuing down the NP path.

After careful consideration I've decided to swing for the fence and kiss the next ten years goodbye. Physician it is. I'm forgoing NP school (which I've already been accepted to) and frankly, it scares the bejeezes out of me.

I don't suppose anyone on her is doing the University of Maryland Science in the Evening program?

When talking to my family doc about med school and this idea being one of the primary negative factors in my mind about going in, he looked at me and said "you still get to LIVE during that time, you know"...
Changed my perspective quite a bit.

Yay for rolling the hard six :) Good luck

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Glad to see that you're scared - shows that you've put some serious thought into the matter, or at least enough to realize the consequences of what you're about to do.

At the same time, I bet you feel a lot of relief over having made a final decision :)