Did MCAT seal my fate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Tall Doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as some of you might know I am currently in the process of reinvention of my sub 3.0 gpa by my DIY post bacc. It’s going well so far, 6 units of summer at 4.0, and I am still on track to finish with a >3.0 by the start of next app cycle. However I recently got my MCAT score of 509 and while it is decent and I am very much happy with it, I feel I am in trouble considering it is my 3rd attempt, (503, 2017;502 1/2019). I was hoping to apply DO and broadly MD next cycle, as I will have the LOR and extracurriculars to make me competitive, but now I am not so sure. I’ve been really reading a lot of the previous posts on this forum and absorbing as much as I can, and am really happy to have found this great resource. I guess my question is, is it possible for me to take a 4th Mcat? My score was pretty inconsistent, 128,125,130,126. I fear I will never be able to bring up CARS as that grade had the greatest volitility during my practice testing. I was also thinking of applying for SMPs for completion during my application cycle, but I don’t know how that would affect my application, since I am already doing the post bacc. Once again, thank you for remarks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine applying to DO, I wouldn't take it for the fourth time, maybe some ADCOMs will chime in later.

If you take another MCAT, it starts leaning to the realm of showing poor judgement, especially when you retake a perfectly good score like a 509. As long as you do well in your post-bacc, you are easily competitive for DO schools (which reward reinvention) and could potentially be competitive at a few MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you keep up the strong post-bacc performance, you will be fine for DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, as some of you might know I am currently in the process of reinvention of my sub 3.0 gpa by my DIY post bacc. It’s going well so far, 6 units of summer at 4.0, and I am still on track to finish with a >3.0 by the start of next app cycle. However I recently got my MCAT score of 509 and while it is decent and I am very much happy with it, I feel I am in trouble considering it is my 3rd attempt, (503, 2017;502 1/2019). I was hoping to apply DO and broadly MD next cycle, as I will have the LOR and extracurriculars to make me competitive, but now I am not so sure. I’ve been really reading a lot of the previous posts on this forum and absorbing as much as I can, and am really happy to have found this great resource. I guess my question is, is it possible for me to take a 4th Mcat? My score was pretty inconsistent, 128,125,130,126. I fear I will never be able to bring up CARS as that grade had the greatest volitility during my practice testing. I was also thinking of applying for SMPs for completion during my application cycle, but I don’t know how that would affect my application, since I am already doing the post bacc. Once again, thank you for remarks!
Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Do NOT retake the mCAT.Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Do NOT retake the MCAT. Continue to ace the post-bac work. Frankly, unless you live in a lucky state, you're done for MD

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all, I really appreciate the advice. I will keep trucking on during my post bacc!

Reactions: 1 user