Bookbag suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

markelmarcel

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering what types of bags current DPT students have found helpful in lugging all their stuff around.

I know that I will have a "locker" at my school... but I usually like to carry my textbooks around; at least my laptop & I loathe laptop bags.

What are some good bookbag suggestions??
 
I'm moving this to the DPT forum, since I'm assuming you want current students' opinions 🙂

I used a free Adidas briefcase/messenger bag thing I got from my PT job a year ago initially, but then I used my brother's Jansport from his middle school years (btw, he's 30 now haha), because I wanted a backpack and I'm cheap. The zipper broke on it in the beginning of my winter term, and so I went back to the Adidas bag. That was too bulky to lug around on light days, so now I'm using an LL bean tote bag I got while I was in college (it's canvas, but with leather straps...it's actually the same one Meredith Grey used in season 1/2 of Grey's Anatomy, except a different color haha). I love that though, because it's substantial enough and has held up well, but isn't too heavy. I only use it now though because I just take what I need for the specific classes that day instead of lugging around huge binders.

Ultimately, it's personal preference.
 
I will use the Swiss Army backpack that I have used for the last 2 years of my undergrad. It is roomy, stands up when I set it on the floor, has a great laptop compartment, plenty of spots for pens/pencils/misc., comfortable straps, and a cross chest strap to keep the shoulder straps in place while walking around.

I tried a single shoulder strap bag, but it places far too much pressure on one shoulder. Now I am a big, strong guy and can handle that pressure....but it is not healthy in my, and experts, opinion to do so. In fact, it would seem kinda silly to me going into a field such as physical therapy to not do everything I can to distribute weight evenly, etc....

I love this backpack. I hope it lasts me the next 3 years of PT school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a Jansport one that I've had since sophomore year in high school. It's held up pretty well (all the zippers still work), has 2 big pockets, an oval pocket, and a top one for pencils and stuff.


A Northface backpack is also a good one too, if you can afford it (ebay, amazon). They have a lot of room and I've carried my 15 lb laptop plus books in it and it's held up nicely.
 
(Yeah, I debated on where to put the thread- Thanks Dancer!)

Yeah, I have a Jansport; but it's only a 1-zipper one... I'd like to have a tote, but at the same time I want to try to ride my bike to school sometimes, so I definitely need something that I can wear on my back.

Hmm... I have time! 😉