Bookbag suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelmarcel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what types of bags current DPT students have found helpful in lugging all their stuff around.

I know that I will have a "locker" at my school... but I usually like to carry my textbooks around; at least my laptop & I loathe laptop bags.

What are some good bookbag suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm moving this to the DPT forum, since I'm assuming you want current students' opinions :)

I used a free Adidas briefcase/messenger bag thing I got from my PT job a year ago initially, but then I used my brother's Jansport from his middle school years (btw, he's 30 now haha), because I wanted a backpack and I'm cheap. The zipper broke on it in the beginning of my winter term, and so I went back to the Adidas bag. That was too bulky to lug around on light days, so now I'm using an LL bean tote bag I got while I was in college (it's canvas, but with leather straps...it's actually the same one Meredith Grey used in season 1/2 of Grey's Anatomy, except a different color haha). I love that though, because it's substantial enough and has held up well, but isn't too heavy. I only use it now though because I just take what I need for the specific classes that day instead of lugging around huge binders.

Ultimately, it's personal preference.

I will use the Swiss Army backpack that I have used for the last 2 years of my undergrad. It is roomy, stands up when I set it on the floor, has a great laptop compartment, plenty of spots for pens/pencils/misc., comfortable straps, and a cross chest strap to keep the shoulder straps in place while walking around.

I tried a single shoulder strap bag, but it places far too much pressure on one shoulder. Now I am a big, strong guy and can handle that pressure....but it is not healthy in my, and experts, opinion to do so. In fact, it would seem kinda silly to me going into a field such as physical therapy to not do everything I can to distribute weight evenly, etc....

I love this backpack. I hope it lasts me the next 3 years of PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Jansport one that I've had since sophomore year in high school. It's held up pretty well (all the zippers still work), has 2 big pockets, an oval pocket, and a top one for pencils and stuff.

A Northface backpack is also a good one too, if you can afford it (ebay, amazon). They have a lot of room and I've carried my 15 lb laptop plus books in it and it's held up nicely.

(Yeah, I debated on where to put the thread- Thanks Dancer!)

Yeah, I have a Jansport; but it's only a 1-zipper one... I'd like to have a tote, but at the same time I want to try to ride my bike to school sometimes, so I definitely need something that I can wear on my back.

Hmm... I have time! ;)