Bookbags in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DMBFan said:
Just because your spending priorities aren't on bags does not mean you should flame someone else because either a) they can afford to b) they want to or c) they have diff. spending priorities/interests (WHAT A FASCINATING IDEA).

Similarly, none of you have thought of the AMAZING possibility that, I don't know, THE BAG IS ON SALE. I'm not flaming anyone for spending money on your dorky extra-curriculars that many pre-meds have like buying the latest Battlestar Galactica DVD the second it comes out.

Now, this is dangerously veering off topic, so if anyone has anything constructive to say about bookbags, please say it. Otherwise this debate about a stupid handbag is pointless and reveals your insecurities about money to say the least.

I second that. And don't rip on Jackie O glasses... they are awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

I figure I'll contribute to this completley worthless thread. I have NEVER had a backpack last more than 3 years with me....I pretty much consitently have 50+ lbs in it including books, laptop, workout stuff...whatever else. (As an undergrad) The LL Bean bag I have seems to have done the trick for that. If you like to workout it has a nice area to throw in an extra pair of shoes as well...and they fit my size 14 new balances pretty easily...

To OP I understand you like getting new stuff...who doesnt? If you are spending that kind of money though I'd say just buy a cheaper rugged bag that youc an stuff crap in and take around and then a slightly cheaper nice bag that you'd use for a regular purse type thing. I am willing to bet that 250 dollars or 300 can still by at least an ok bag like you want and then with the remaining you can buy a fairly rugged backpack..which I understand you may dislike but with heavy book loads your back will be thanking you....and well you won't feel as guilty if it lands in something unpleasant when you put it somewhere without looking...

R*ckstar said:
I second that. And don't rip on Jackie O glasses... they are awesome!

lol, i say forget nordstrom look-alikes and just drop the $6000 on the bottega venetta...

i'm just kidding - it's just that i spent a ridiculous amount of money on my interview outfit and it didn't really work out...seriously though, go for the north face...and get it at ebags, and don't forget to use your citicard to get like 15% off...

Members don't see this ad :)
say what said:
well, you may be right. i've never heard that before actually. i have about 5 north face jackets, a bag, and some other outerwear (and no i don't buy them to be "cool" or anything like that) and they've all outperformed the majority of other brands i've tried. like i said, you may be right if they are indeed inferior to dakine or some other brands, but you can't just write them off as "crap." anyway, that's my two cents. :thumbup:

i've had the north face denali jacket (that black fleece one that everybody and their mother owns) since 2000 and it's served me well. it still looks new, except for some minor wear in the lower back region. the fact that it cost $165 and doesn't even have lining is a different topic entirely. :rolleyes:

Personally I can't stand fleece. It aggravates my hair and doesn't feel warm to me. Cotton sweaters all the way!! I do like nylon windbreakers though.

Did anyone notice this on the Nordstrom bag descriptions? "Fit: Extra-large: Holds at least a magazine, water bottle, full-size wallet and sweater."

That's hilarious. 'Cause that's all you'll be carrying around. Yeah, you should buy one of those bags. Not only because it'll be hilarious when your entire class rips on you for it, but also because when you drop out of med school (2 weeks? 3?), you'll need it to land a sugar daddy.

Personally, I love Eddie Bauer bags just bc they're really well-padded so they stay comfy no matter how much stuff is jammed into your bag. I've had mine for about 5 yrs now, and it still works great even with all the abuse I've given it over the years. Also, you can usually find them on sale, esp if you have an outlet store nearby :p

hi moinmoin! I just got a northface modem for my fall backpack. It has a suspended laptop sleeve since we'll have to lug our laptops around everyday. In college i used a patagonia half-mass, but it's not roomy enough for my laptop plus binders.

oh and maybe this is just me, but ebags is SO SLOW!! It's been a week since they shipped my bag and it's still not here!

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Did anyone notice this on the Nordstrom bag descriptions? "Fit: Extra-large: Holds at least a magazine, water bottle, full-size wallet and sweater."

That's hilarious. 'Cause that's all you'll be carrying around. Yeah, you should buy one of those bags. Not only because it'll be hilarious when your entire class rips on you for it, but also because when you drop out of med school (2 weeks? 3?), you'll need it to land a sugar daddy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm very surprised that no one has yet mentioned the most important factor in choosing a bookbag:

Whether or not you attend class. ;)

I'm not buying a bag. My fiance has this bag, it changes from shoulder to backpack, it fits a laptop, has padded straps, and seems pretty good for rugged use. Unfortunately, it's a bag he bought from a Pearl Jam fan club, he's a huge fan, and now everyone is going to think I am too :laugh:

I don't really care though, I'll probably have some diehard fans coming up to me to tell me that I don't deserve to wear it...which should be entertaining at least.

How about a really old-school oversized Jansport? Mine is doing fine after 6 years in college/grad school and thousands of miles of travelling - all with either tons of books or crammed full of ****e. It's cost about $65. At my school tons of people (most probably) just have a backpack of the garden variety. I also have a super-sized purse for those light days when I don't feel like bringing much to school with me.

Really though, you need to save your shoulders. Don't go killing yourself over messenger bags or huge briefcase-like bags. You have to preserve your back for the 30 hour all-night shifts from 3rd year to the end of residency.

Also, just wait to until school starts and see what you really want or need. It's fun to have something new the first day of orientation, but it's not really practical.

Wow, this thread exploded, and I haven't kept up! :)

My particular North Face bag is a Borealis. I think it's the best thing ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to reiterate my vote for the old school LL Bean, it's lasted me the last 9 years! No rips, no tears, zippers are still perfect. Yeah it brings me back to 8th grade some, but I just don't care, function over form.

In the form department, I also love my canvas messenger by J. Crew. It was a little more than I wanted to spend on a messenger, but at the time I had a hard time finding a canvas messenger with no velcro or zippers (if I'm late to class the last thing I want is to open my bag and make a big velcro ripping noise). It's been sturdy, has a lot of different pockets and is perfect for my laptop, a binder (or 2), pack of loose leaf paper, calculator, pencils, etc. If I need to carry a humongous text (or 3) I go with my LL Bean tho.

DMBFan said:
I'm debating on whether to splurge on a bookbag for med school or whether a large bag (a la Mary Kate Olson) will do for holding my binders and books. What do you guys use (if anything)?

Also, do you guys who are currently in med school use notebooks or binders? Nerdy question I know, but trying to get school supply buying out of the way!

Depends how close you live to the school, what kind of locker access you have, whether you can dump stuff into your car or if the parking lot is remote, etc. If you have no such homebase on campus, you want something bigger and more durable, something with padding for a laptop --especially if you go to a high tech school where everything you need is in digital format (notes, lectures, perhaps even your tests)-- there are quite a few med schools like this now. You probably will want room for a notebook, noteset, maybe an atlas, pens and pencils, etc. Maybe a bag lunch if you are trying to economize. Thus you need a large rugged backpack. Some of the less sturdy people at med school even use rollerboard type backs to haul around all their stuff around, but that seems a bit extreme. Thus you will see in med school a wide range of bags/packs. Hope that helps.

We received these Targus bags as part of our technology package. It has a ridiculous amount of room. If you fill it up w/ books and computer, you probably won't be able to carry it. Nice separations also to keep things organized.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TCG650

B00024ENVG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jansport Odyssey 38.

Somewhat on the big side. Can carry everything that you need for the whole day. Ridiculous amount of divided spaces. Beverage pockets on both sides (this was a must for water and coffee thermo.

Very comfortable nice pad. Water repellant. Not very fashionable but great bag and functional. :thumbup:

My New Backpack

It's blue! And has cutesy-poo organizer pockets! And a laptop compartment I don't need! And the paddiest straps in the store!!! :)

I feel like a kid buying school supplies. I want big-girl crayons and a lunchbox now. Instead I bought reams of printer paper on sale at Target.

Personally I haven't really been bringing that much to school. I have a small binder to put transcripts in, but I'm not taking notes so I don't even have extra paper or anything. I'll usually throw one of the smaller textbooks to study if we have downtime, but since I'm mostly studying at home that's not necessary.

We have lockers for our anatomy clothes, which I probably won't ever bring home because they smell so bad.

Mainly I have my backpack so I can bring a yummy lunch and water!

This thread is ridiculous. I wouldn't personally pay that much money for a bag, BUT, it's pretty stupid to try and dissuade the OP from doing so by bringing up potential poor patients [insert: "awwwwww" here] or her future need for a sugar daddy. If she wants the bag, then get the bag. If her classmates end up laughing at her for it, well, then that's a lesson learned.

you dont really need to carry anything to class except something to take notes on (like a laptop or a notebook of paper) unless you plan to study at school.

i personally leave all my books in my car and take out the ones i need at whatever coffee shop i'm at.

oh, and i dont go to class. that helps.

Severus said:
This thread is ridiculous. I wouldn't personally pay that much money for a bag, BUT, it's pretty stupid to try and dissuade the OP from doing so by bringing up potential poor patients [insert: "awwwwww" here] or her future need for a sugar daddy. If she wants the bag, then get the bag. If her classmates end up laughing at her for it, well, then that's a lesson learned.

To each his own = lesson learned.

Fashionista said:
Those bags are really cute, but remember with all that hardware, there wont be much room for books inside! I think large totes are best for carrying books. Ive been using Longchamp and Herve Chapelier bags since high school. They are cheaper than the Betsey Johnsons so you can get a few in different colors. Also, Longchamp will let you customize colors/ monogram on their website. They are strong enough to hold tons of books/ notebooks/ laptop and the handles are long enough to wear over your shoulder.

Something else to think about . . . I used my big Herve Chapelier bag all throughout college, but I ended up switching to a North Face backpack for a while near the end of senior year because my back started hurting. If the tote is too heavy and that weight is unevenly distributed, it can apparently cause pain and even alignment problems in your back. I don't want to get into a chirophracty discussion, but my mom's chiro made her start carrying a smaller bag after she started getting sharp shoulder pains, and it's made a big difference.

Sad because I love big totes as much as the next girl, but just be careful and don't let it get too heavy for you. Not that I still won't carry my tote on light days . . . it looks better than the backpack and it's enormous :)

seriously people. I am not even thinking about the bookpac situation right now. I still have a bagpack that i got for free 2 years ago in college, will be using that until i feel it is unfit. Until then, my free bag it will be.
I am not cheap but i just dont like to waste money. period

Hello,

So I have a large L.L. Bean backpack that holds a laptop and lots of books and a Longchamp totebag for days when I just need to carry notebooks or a binder etc. Does that sound good?

All I take to class is my laptop, its charger, and a folder for any handouts we might get. A backpack or laptop bag is more than sufficient.

47996392_91c353e56e.jpg

Chrome Bag. Massive, but fits all my gym stuff, too.

47996392_91c353e56e.jpg

Chrome Bag. Massive, but fits all my gym stuff, too.
Definitely bring that on the wards. If you ever have a really interesting patient, you can just bring them home in that bag some time. Guaranteed honors.

I use an American Tourister briefcase with a zipper pouch that lets the bag expand when needed and keeps it slimmer when not. I usually carry my laptop and maybe a small book, although I have carried more books (including Robbins) in it when necessary, and it was just fine. I study at home, so this works for me. You might want to keep the old bag you have for now, and then buy a new bag if you find that your study habits change significantly after a few weeks in med school.

As for backpacks, I hear really good things about Targus. They're dependable and not too expensive.

I only carry my tablet pc to school, nothing else. But almost all of our texts and work is available electronically and submitted electronically, so there's no need for anything else. 3lbs and would easily fit in a bag if that worked for you. That said, if I had to carry binders and a laptop around, a messenger style bag is what I'd use.

Yeah um bookbags all the way (screw you brats who buy 400 bags that are useless and ugly within a year and oh yes battlestar galac? good luck making friends in med school if you come in with that attitude) Northface seem to be good because they have padding and I dunno how much you're gonna be walking but I walk 15 mins every day and sometimes we have to bring stuff to do physical exams so add that to packets of notes and the occasional book and you're deff going to want something thats functional not stylish. I do know a few girls at school who use their designer bags as bookbags but I'd save the fashion for the bar outtings

Last edited:
Messenger bags seem to be all the rage these days. Freitag are the best all around for style, comfort, and durability, Chrome have the coolest buckle but otherwise kinda big and dorky, Timbuk2 are durable but not very stylish, and there are many who try to imitate these but the straps are crap, zippers break, they're not waterproof, etc. The only bag I would recommend against is the ManhattanPortage, because the tough material it's made of chews clothes apart.

I'm still using my faded, battered, trusty, old mountainsmith backpack, though looking into getting something more fitting for a professional.

Oh, and to be honest, I haven't really paid attention to the bags others are using unless it looked vaguely like something I'd use, then I paid a bit more attention. So go ahead and blow your loan money on something fancy and girly, if it makes you happy. Why not?

I bought two, a matching set from LLBEAN. A computer/messenger bag, and an extra large backpack.

I've always had great luck with LLBean, so I'm expecting more of the same.

http://oakley.com/pd/1518

si-computer-bag.jpg

I have this bag. It's an Oakley SI Laptop Bag. Michael C. Hall uses one on the show Dexter. It's been discontinued, but I found mine on ebay for $58 - slightly used. Pretty good deal, considering it retailed for around $175 - and I'm not really a high-style diva.

On days when I have to carry a ton of notes and books, I'll probably just use my backpack from undergrad.

Last edited:
My school may be different... but...

In college I would walk to school 20 min carrying a 10 lb. purse to look cute. Then I aged and I don't care anymore. Backpacks are WAY more comfortable and I have a pretty cute one.

I carry my syllabus in a binder (they punch holes in them for us). That's all I use and it's the size of a small textbook.

Buy really good highlighters. I would recommend those fat ones or you'll be going through a new skinny one every week. I also recommend lots of pretty colored gel pens. You'll be staring at your syllabus a lot and the notes you take on it might as well be pretty.

This is coming from a guy's perspective, so for the people looking for those frilly ugly bags posted on the first page, sorry.

I carry a Kelty Redwing pack that I bought about 10 years ago and has been to hell and back with me.

The problem with that is on clinical days, when I need to dress up, I look a little silly carrying it.

I need to upgrade to something that goes with my nicer clothes, either I'm going to pull the trigger on a shoulder bag from Johnston & Murphy, or this in large and dark coffee brown...

http://www.saddlebackleather.net/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=16

I kind of want something that can take a bullet for me.

Dr.TobiasFünke;3967792 said:
I still have the same LL Bean backpack from way way back in the day... well, its not the same one; everytime it breaks I just send it back and a new one magically appears 4 days later. I dont know why I felt obliged to share this.
i love your username and pic! tobias ftw! :)

well, you may be right. i've never heard that before actually. i have about 5 north face jackets, a bag, and some other outerwear (and no i don't buy them to be "cool" or anything like that) and they've all outperformed the majority of other brands i've tried. like i said, you may be right if they are indeed inferior to dakine or some other brands, but you can't just write them off as "crap." anyway, that's my two cents. :thumbup:
as a ms 1, i'd say to definitely get a backpack and not a messenger bag. they f with your glenohumeral joint and when you have notebooks/laptop, it can get heavy. stay comfortable with a nice backpack like a jansport.

I switched to a messenger bag once I hit clinicals. It just looks kind of ridiculous when you waltz in with your backpack over your white coat, with your shirt and tie underneath. Looks like your first day of 4th grade. Besides, you almost never carry more than 1-2 books.

I'm debating on whether to splurge on a bookbag for med school or whether a large bag (a la Mary Kate Olson) will do for holding my binders and books. What do you guys use (if anything)?

Also, do you guys who are currently in med school use notebooks or binders? Nerdy question I know, but trying to get school supply buying out of the way!

uhm
as small as possible , i use a PDA for taking note so i dont need a bookbag indeed.. the lectures must be in your mind,practical skills must be on your hands , not on your heavy books, not on your big bookbags... i mean, take care what kind of bag you take to school or hospital is meaningless ...

Tom bihn bags. they arent cheap but they last forever. you might actually pay your loans off before it gives out.

tombihn.com

i have a super ego

cant say enough about them.

Tom bihn bags. they arent cheap but they last forever. you might actually pay your loans off before it gives out.

tombihn.com

i have a super ego

cant say enough about them.

uhm, when i am willing to volunteer flying to Iraq or Afghanistan , i will by one !! by the way , i like the empire builder with red !!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dr.TobiasFünke;3967792 said:
I still have the same LL Bean backpack from way way back in the day... well, its not the same one; everytime it breaks I just send it back and a new one magically appears 4 days later. I dont know why I felt obliged to share this.

LOL :laugh:

I think you need to relax. Use whatever you are comfortable with and whatever you will need.