Books and reimbursements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ydangerzone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, when med school starts do we pay for our books and then get reimbursed? Or do we pick the books up and the school bills the military?

i.e. does anyone ever buy their books on credit cards which give reward points and then get reimmbursed by the military??? Would this work on tuition too?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ydangerzone said:
So, when med school starts do we pay for our books and then get reimbursed? Or do we pick the books up and the school bills the military?

i.e. does anyone ever buy their books on credit cards which give reward points and then get reimmbursed by the military??? Would this work on tuition too?

Thanks!

You buy, then file for reimbursement. And yes I buy on a card for reward points and then pay off the card when the military pays me back.

I dont know about other schools, but at mine tuition is paid directly by the Army.

Members don't see this ad :)
KerleyB said:
I dont know about other schools, but at mine tuition is paid directly by the Army.

it is at every school...but the question was regarding books, not tuition.

Would this work on tuition too?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

KerleyB said:
Would this work on tuition too?
Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

No, because almost every school bills the military directly.....although i use to do that in undergrad too...

circa 2001/02 the military (actually the whole fed gov't) reversed its position and allowed members to keep airline frequent flyer miles they earned on official government travel. I imagine a similar policy would apply to any other earning of airline miles.....

Ydangerzone said:

Thanks!

another trick-- the military reimburses for anything that is required or recommended, and if your school has an extensive list you *could* buy them all and sell them to classmates at a reduced rate. It's especially nice if you are someone who doesn't use textbooks that much anyway. Not that i would ever do this :cool: ;) , but it's probably a nice way to make a little extra cash each semester. . . .

--your friendly neighborhood if it's there, use it caveman

Wait.... the army will reimburse items that are RECOMMENDED at medical school???

Really?

Ydangerzone said:
Wait.... the army will reimburse items that are RECOMMENDED at medical school???

Really?
According to HPSP handbook I believe the books have to be required. But the military doesn't know which books is required and which isn't. Just get your dean sign your list and you should be fine. Just don't go over your limit.

They do have to be required. However, I'm pretty sure the Army requires documention (other than the Dean's signature) that they are required (ie - the page from your course syllabus stating which books are required and which are optional).

Ydangerzone said:

Really?

on our miscellaneous syllabi we had a list of "required" and "recommended" books. i bought them all, sent in a copy of that page of the syllabus, and was reimbursed, no questions asked.

--your friendly neighborhood book collecting caveman

They Navy has figured out the required versus recommended situation. I'm a fourth year student now, so I've seen this process change during my tenure. When I started, you could submit anything as long as the dean signed it.

Now, they want some sort documentation in addition to the dean's signature stating that the books you are submitting are required for the course you're taking, such as a course syllabus, or an official letter from the course chair. A classmate of mine who is also Navy HPSP submitted a large amount of receipts late in third year and had it rejected once they started enforcing this policy. She had to get proof that all of the books she submitted were required. Luckily, I had bought all of my third year books late in second year, before they were enforcing this.

This is a pain in third and fourth year at my school, where often no book is required, but there are several recommended texts to choose from.

I don't know if this extends to equipment (stethoscopes, etc.) since I haven't bought any in quite while.

Anyone have any specific idea as to wether the AF will pay for the reccomended ones as well?

Well, there's only one way to find out. Buy them, submit it, and see if it works.

At least in the Army, medical equipment such as stethescope, BP cuff, reflex hammers, etc are all listed in our handbook separately with the max they are willing to pay for each item. I got all our required equipment this year (with a quite nice stethescope I might add) along with an OMM treatment table ($400) at 100% reimbursement.