Books for M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'll be matriculating in the fall and would like to know good supplemental books. I can't seem to find the search function (is it disabled?). I saw a good thread awhile back with people talking about how they used test prep books along with their classes. What books are the best for supplementing my education and with questions and answers?

Members don't see this ad.

BRS, especially for gross and physiology

ravin said:
Hey,
I'll be matriculating in the fall and would like to know good supplemental books. I can't seem to find the search function (is it disabled?). I saw a good thread awhile back with people talking about how they used test prep books along with their classes. What books are the best for supplementing my education and with questions and answers?

Anatomy: Rohen, Netter, & BRS
Histology: Rapid Review
Neuroanatomy: BRS
Physiology: BRS
Micro: Lange

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy: Netter + Moore/Agur's dissector + any textbook

Histology: Junqueira

Neuroanatomy: High-Yield Neuroanatomy (great for boards but may need larger book, i.e. any textbook, the first time around)

Physiology: STAR + BRS (BRS may not be enough for first time but great for boards, highly recommend getting it regardless of whether it's enough the first time)

Micro: Any textbook + BRS (but most people prefer Ridiculously Simple to BRS)

As you can see, there are some variations and some general consenses.

neuropower said:
BRS, especially for gross and physiology

Use BRS, High Yield Embryology and Netter flashcards instead of Moore. Moore is pretty awful.

Personally, I would recommend picking up the newest copy of First Aid for Step 1 and use it to study for classes. It helps you not only now, but also next year when you are getting ready for Step 1. Also it has a nice section in the back reviewing books that can be used for class and in prepping for the boards.

Btw, when does this year's First Aid come out or is it already out?

ravin said:
I'll be matriculating in the fall and would like to know good supplemental books.

Lippincott Biochem

Langman's Essential Medical Embryology

Lange Medical Microbiology & Immunology (for the immuno section)

Costanzo Physiology

BRS for Anatomy, Physio, Behavioral Science, Embryo. You can get old versions pretty cheap; the only one where the new edition is worth it is the Anatomy, which has been revamped to include a lot more clinical examples.

BRS Path hasn't been mentioned yet. That would be a good one too.

RaaMD said:
BRS Path hasn't been mentioned yet. That would be a good one too.

That's because MS-I book recommendations were requested.

If we are talking about MS-II, books, then I would recommend Rapid Review Pathology, by Goljan.

There is a new edition coming out in November.

Question regarding the First Aid series... is it really that beneficial to buy the latest edition (i.e. 2007 vs 2006)?

ablumoon said:
Question regarding the First Aid series... is it really that beneficial to buy the latest edition (i.e. 2007 vs 2006)?

If you already have 2006, then don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:

If we are talking about MS-II, books, then I would recommend Rapid Review Pathology, by Goljan.

In a thread a while ago someone mentioned converting their Robbins path into a binder format at Kinko's(?) Does anyone remember this and know how much it would cost? do many people do this?

Lippincott's Biochem-- learn it, love it, live it. marks is not a bad text.
BRS Physio and Guyton Hall for textbook.
Rohen or Moses for Atlas for Anatomy. Dissector-- check with your school-- we used Grant's. If you have to go with a Moore for a textbook, do the Mini-Moore. BRS for review is okay. I liked Anatomy Recall as well.
BRS embryo or High Yield. Moore and Persaud for textbook but it is mindnumbing.
Ross for Histo as a great text-- Roadmap Histo was decent (but not exceptional) for review.
BRS for Behavioral Science.
Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously easy and the Blumenfeld text is great.

ablumoon said:

The 2006 is done based on organ systems and the earlier versions are by subject so it depends on which method you fancy although as the years go on, the pharm will not be as dependable in the 2005 edition.

OSUdoc08 said:

Oh, sorry. I go to a PBL school so we integrate everything including Path in the first year.

RaaMD said:
Oh, sorry. I go to a PBL school so we integrate everything including Path in the first year.

Ah, ok. Well I still think the OP should wait for the new edition if they are at a PBL school, even if it is a few months late.

incoming MS-Is, are you guys buying these books now or waiting till you get to campus? I assume it'll be cheaper to get the books used from a campus bookstore, but I'm also kinda wondering if I should just shell out the extra bucks and get the books ASAP before school starts.

The last thing I want to do is get my books later than all my classmates and be behind! :oops:

oompa loompa said:
incoming MS-Is, are you guys buying these books now or waiting till you get to campus? I assume it'll be cheaper to get the books used from a campus bookstore, but I'm also kinda wondering if I should just shell out the extra bucks and get the books ASAP before school starts.

The last thing I want to do is get my books later than all my classmates and be behind! :oops:

I'm getting some of the books now (the ones people strongly recommended) and I will get the rest during orientation.

mohova2g said:
I'm getting some of the books now (the ones people strongly recommended) and I will get the rest during orientation.

alrity, guess it can't hurt to check out my local med school's bookstore.

Hey, would you guys recommend Grant or Netter's atlas? Also, I heard you can get a free Netter's atlas if you join AMSA or some other med student organization....is this true? i just visited the AMSA site but found nada.

oompa loompa said:
alrity, guess it can't hurt to check out my local med school's bookstore.

Hey, would you guys recommend Grant or Netter's atlas? Also, I heard you can get a free Netter's atlas if you join AMSA or some other med student organization....is this true? i just visited the AMSA site but found nada.
You can get a free Netter's if you join AMSA AND you sign up for some credit card...there's always a catch. I was hopeful too. :thumbdown:

As a heads up, a new version of Netter's Atlas comes out on July 1st.

For anatomy .. Grant's is a waste of money, in my opinion... and your lab will probably have copies of it in the lab, so you don't need it at home... for study purposes, Netter's enough.

Subject:
Texts Recommended:

Anatomy
Anatomy Recall, Rohen, Moses, Netter, Moore (Mini),Moore or Agur's Dissector, Rohen and Moses Atlas, BRS (new)

Behavioral Science
BRS

Biochemistry
Lippincott

Embryology
High Yield Embryology, Langman's Essential Medical Embryology, BRS, Netter Flashcards

Histology
Rapid Review, Junqueira, Ross, Roadmap

Immunology
Lange

Microbiology
Lange, BRS, Ridiculously Simple

Neuroanatomy
BRS, High Yield Neuroanatomy, Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Easy, Blumenfeld

Pathology
Rapid Review

Physiology
BRS (MS-II), STAR, Guyton Hall, Costanzo

Step One
First Aid for Step 1

ayznshorti said:
good to know. Thanks ayznshorti!

ayznshorti said:

I saw on Amazon.com that there are two versions:

"Main Edition" with "Student Consult". (Paperback) $74.95
and
"Professional Edition". (Hardback) $125.00

Which one should I buy? Are these good prices? Thanks!

My recommendation would be to not buy anything until you get to school. Second, third and fourth year students will be trying to get rid of books and that will be way cheaper than anyother way to get them.

I highly recommed the "Made Ridiculously Simple" books. I have only used microbiology and biochemistry so far but they both saved me. I tend not to use textbooks, we get a packet of lecture notes every two weeks or so, but these two books were priceless. And they are cheap ($20-30).

jmk said:
My recommendation would be to not buy anything until you get to school. Second, third and fourth year students will be trying to get rid of books and that will be way cheaper than anyother way to get them.

I highly recommed the "Made Ridiculously Simple" books. I have only used microbiology and biochemistry so far but they both saved me. I tend not to use textbooks, we get a packet of lecture notes every two weeks or so, but these two books were priceless. And they are cheap ($20-30).

I want the new edition of Netter which hasn't even been released yet. So.. that wouldn't work. But, I think that is a great suggestion for most other books I'm interested in. Thanks!

Can someone tell me what these "STAR" books are? What does it stand for?

I am probably in the minority but I hated Netter's. I would recommend you go with Rohen or Moses over Netter's.

help! I can't decide between moses, netter, or rohen. If i get two, which two should i get?

does anyone have any preference between BRS and High Yield and ...made ridiculously simple? They all seem pretty similar with the first two being geared toward Step 1 and the last one being more of just a review...but for anyone who has used them, are there any favorites?

christi5784 said:
help! I can't decide between moses, netter, or rohen. If i get two, which two should i get?

Netter + Rohen can effectively minimalize your time spent in lab.

HunterGatherer said:
STARS = Saunders Text and Review Series

Patholgy by goljan and Physiology by Costanzo are the highly regrded ones in this series.

I thought Costanzo wrote BRS Physiology?

For Biochem, is this the book everyone is referring to?

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Series)

What if your school recommends a different text?

Thanks everybody...really good heads up for all of us!

DrLizzie said:
Thanks everybody...really good heads up for all of us!
DrLizzie - we're going to get a list of reccommended texts from the MSIIs and the faculty (not always the same thing) during orientation. I got a few free from a doctor neighbor who was giving them away, but I'm waiting to buy everything else until school starts.

I got an older version of Netters atlas (2nd edition)from a friend who barely used it. I heard that a newer version was coming out soon. Is it essential to get the new atlas?? or is an older version ok??? I mean anatomy doesnt change, does it?

alphaluvbug said:
I got an older version of Netters atlas (2nd edition)from a friend who barely used it. I heard that a newer version was coming out soon. Is it essential to get the new atlas?? or is an older version ok??? I mean anatomy doesnt change, does it?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that most people have given a very good list of supplemental texts.

My personal favs were the BRS for Biochem, Neuro, and Physiology.
As well, First aid was even helpful for last minute tips before the exams.

The new Netter's (4th ed) is supposed to have 200 relabeled plates, and 17 new ones, "in netter's style".

oh, and Dr. Weebs, I would avoid dropping extra money on the hardback ed. plus you'll have enough to lug around in your anyways, I wouldn't add the extra weight.

I used Netter's plus Rohen to work through gross anatomy. Excellent combo. :thumbup:

alphaluvbug said:
Actually, it does, a little. Even the third edition, which I have, screws up diagrams of sympathetic nerves (where they synapse). I haven't seen it, but I'd expect that the fourth edition would have better diagrams. Earlier editions are still good, but those diagrams are unusable.

So what about Moses' Anatomy Atlas. Is it something worth getting? Would I be better off getting THREE anatomy atlases? :eek: :scared:

christi5784 said:
So what about Moses' Anatomy Atlas. Is it something worth getting? Would I be better off getting THREE anatomy atlases? :eek: :scared:

What other atlas's are there besides Netter, Rohen, and Gray? =P

Pewl said:
What other atlas's are there besides Netter, Rohen, and Gray? =P

All you need is Rohen and Netter.

Gray, Grant, and Moses are not needed......

Hi RxnMan,
Oh, I suspected that, but wasn't sure. I haven't gotten any books yet, but was actually hoping that there would be some senior students that would be able to either sell or give them away. Thanks for letting me know!

RxnMan said:
DrLizzie - we're going to get a list of reccommended texts from the MSIIs and the faculty (not always the same thing) during orientation. I got a few free from a doctor neighbor who was giving them away, but I'm waiting to buy everything else until school starts.