books for ortho rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribcrackindoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what books are good for an orthopedic surgery rotation? Also, what are the most commonly asked pimping questions for that specialty? Anyone know about the Lange orthopedics book?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Netter's concise Atlas of Orthopedics is a must. Also The handbook of Fractures is good (The blue one I forget the authors). Lange? The Current Orthopedics isn't bad, but not as important as the first two. Refer to Orthogate website for more info.

The best student text is Miller's review of Orthopaedics. Its not too expensive and fairly basic. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent to "Surgical Recall" for ortho. What I can tell you is in my ortho rotations at three different hospitals, almost every question was about anatomy. The 'Pods are very interested in surgical approaches. Therefore, its key to know the surface structures that were probably omitted in your anatomy class. Questions like "what nerve do I have to avoid when making my approach to this fracture?" are common. Of course, you should also know the bones, muscles, joints, inervations and blood supplies. I noticed some pecularities about some questions. The pods like questions on the inervation of the muscles of the hand and blood supply to different parts of the foot, but not vice versa.

Good Luck,

Ed