Books On Healthcare Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted393595

I've become extremely interested in learning more about healthcare policy after reading more about the work being conducted by Dr. Atul Gawande and hearing more and more about the "Obamacare"/Medicare debate currently going on. In fact, I've also been thinking about getting a Masters in Public Health in conjunction with a MD degree (Hopefully) since it seems that many of the problems faced in healthcare result from flawed systems.

Are there any good books on health policy that you'll would recommend?

Thanks

EDIT: Crap. Misspelled the title and it makes no sense. Should have worn my glasses. Can a mod please fix it to: "Books on Healthcare Policy?"

Members don't see this ad.

I've also been looking for good books/articles on the health care overhaul -- it's hard to know whose opinions (or numbers, for that matter) to trust.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the Thomas Bodenheimer book, Understanding Health Policy, before interview season. Though I was never asked anything regarding health policy, it was a very interesting and easy-to-read book. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently reading Still Broken: Understanding the US Health Care System by Stephen Davidson. It's very dense (and published by a University Press) but so far I've really enjoyed it. It also goes into details on the Affordable Care Act - you would know it as Obamacare if you're a republican - which most books don't have anything on yet.

I read the Thomas Bodenheimer book, Understanding Health Policy, before interview season. Though I was never asked anything regarding health policy, it was a very interesting and easy-to-read book. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently reading Still Broken: Understanding the US Health Care System by Stephen Davidson. It's very dense (and published by a University Press) but so far I've really enjoyed it. It also goes into details on the Affordable Care Act - you would know it as Obamacare if you're a republican - which most books don't have anything on yet.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations guys. I'll be sure to check them out.

EDIT: Sorry for the DP. I multiquoted, went to post reply to get the multiquotes and was going back to copy and paste this reply to my first post but hit post reply on the second post by accident.

:smack:

Don't know how I didn't see all of that when I did a search for it. Thanks for the links

No problem :) I think a lot of times it isn't clear the best search terms to use for these sorts of things which is why I include the search that I did.

I took a grad health care policy course this year out of interest. I highly recomend this book, especially if you are interested in the current reform.

Its authored by the Washington Post : Landmark: The Inside Story of America's New Health Care Law and What It Means for Us All .

It tells you a lot and explains the bill well.
Also for in general health care system:

"Delivering Health care in America"
http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-He...1994/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311294218&sr=8-7

Happy reading all :)