You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Healthcare Handbook. It's a really concise overview of the U.S. healthcare system. Make sure to watch for the newest edition.
Read some of the books by Atul Gawande
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! any idea when the new edition comes out or should I stick to the existing one for now?Healthcare Handbook. It's a really concise overview of the U.S. healthcare system. Make sure to watch for the newest edition.
Wow! I had no idea about him, I just watched one of his TED talks and he was amazing! Will definitely be checking out his books! Thanks!Read some of the books by Atul Gawande
House of God
Just finished When Breath Becomes Air by Dr. Kalanithi and it was a great read. I recommend!
the art of the deal
I would actually not recommend House of God until you get into med school. It's a very bleak look on our life and people who haven't lived it may not fully understand/appreciate it, and it may turn them away from the profession. But I did follow the advice I was told as a student: to read it once during med school, once as a resident, and once as an attending. And I can attest that it is, indeed, a different book each time.
The Healing of America. It's a concise look at the flaws of the American healthcare system and compares the U.S. to all the other developed countries' healthcare system.
I recommend some alternative views on the medical system, including some medical anthropology.
Paul Farmer's Infections and Inequalities is a great overview of global health.
Seth Holmes' Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies looks at migrant farmwork and health from an anthropological lens.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks examines ethical issues in biomedicine in general and is a riveting read.
If you are at all interested in infectious disease/global health, Sonia Shah has written some great books such as Pandemic about infectious disease history and innovations as well Fever about the history of malaria.
On Immunity, an Inoculation is great little book about the history of vaccination and the current debate surrounding childhood immunizations.
Paul Farmer's Infections and Inequalities is a great overview of global health.
Seth Holmes' Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies looks at migrant farmwork and health from an anthropological lens.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks examines ethical issues in biomedicine in general and is a riveting read.
If you are at all interested in infectious disease/global health, Sonia Shah has written some great books such as Pandemic about infectious disease history and innovations as well Fever about the history of malaria.
On Immunity, an Inoculation is great little book about the history of vaccination and the current debate surrounding childhood immunizations.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read The White Coat Investor and am currently reading Hot Lights, Cold Steel. Will save both to most likely reread in the future.
Will add House of God and Healthcare Handbook to my list.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Will add House of God and Healthcare Handbook to my list.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This. I just read one of his books and enjoyed it enough that I immediately went online and purchased all the others. Will have them in the mail tomorrow.Read some of the books by Atul Gawande
Harry Potter series
Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and Pearls Before Swine comic strip anthologies
Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series has tons of great random factoids to impress attendings
Medical books are weird and boring
Didn't you get the memo that Atul Gawande's books are critical to being a learned, well-rounded premed/med student?
I'm starting school in August, just picked up White Coat Investor- thanks for the recommendation.
Also, I liked Mountains Beyond Mountains (read it for a writing course actually). It's essentially a biography of Paul Farmer, an infectious disease physician working in global health.
Also, I liked Mountains Beyond Mountains (read it for a writing course actually). It's essentially a biography of Paul Farmer, an infectious disease physician working in global health.
I just finished The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly and would definitely recommend it.
I've been reading a lot of history recently - none if it is directly related to medicine, but understanding the dynamics of WWII, the Cold War, etc. give you good perspective as an individual and almost certainly will lend nuance to your political views. I recommend:
Inferno: The World At War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings
The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis
Inferno: The World At War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings
The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis
Love it! Also trying to read as much history as I can before school. Recently finished:I've been reading a lot of history recently - none if it is directly related to medicine, but understanding the dynamics of WWII, the Cold War, etc. give you good perspective as an individual and almost certainly will lend nuance to your political views. I recommend:
Inferno: The World At War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings
The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis
The Fall of Berlin by Antony Beevor
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
And highly recommend
All of Dan Carlins Hardcore history podcasts, especially Ghosts of the ostfront, wrath of the khans, and blueprint for armeggedon.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 394
E