Bootcamp QR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.
math-9-27-1.png


The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!
 
I would add all the triangle areas together first to find the area of the square which would be 72. and since its a square. S^2=72. so each side is (72)^1/2. and then we can just multiply it by 4 to find the perimeter. 4*(72)^1/2. That is the same thing as 4*(36*2)^1/2 and that is equal to 24*(2)^1/2.
 
So I
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.
math-9-27-1.png


The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!

So I totally see what you did there, but remember that the sides you solved for (base and height) are not the edges of the square. Here is a picture that might help you visualize it 🙂
 

Attachments

  • math-9-27-1.jpg
    math-9-27-1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 175