O Cabra

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Status
Pre-Dental
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.

The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
I would add all the triangle areas together first to find the area of the square which would be 72. and since its a square. S^2=72. so each side is (72)^1/2. and then we can just multiply it by 4 to find the perimeter. 4*(72)^1/2. That is the same thing as 4*(36*2)^1/2 and that is equal to 24*(2)^1/2.

Reactions: Judajudo
Jun 29, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
So I
So the question asks: A square is quartered into four equal sized triangles, as shown in the diagram. If each triangle has an area equal to 18, what is the perimeter of the square.

The correct answer is 24√2. I got it right but now reviewing it, it seems as though the perimeter would be 48. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why it would be 24√2? It's question 27 on QR exam #9. Thanks!
So I totally see what you did there, but remember that the sides you solved for (base and height) are not the edges of the square. Here is a picture that might help you visualize it :)

Attachments

About the Ads