Borderline Personality Disorder: Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSWdavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any great books on BPD written for therapists?

Members don't see this ad.

Who else...
Linehan, M. M. (1995). Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder:The Dialectic Approach program manuel. New York: Guilford Press

Linehan, M. M. (1993). Skills Training Manual For Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. New York Guilford Press.

Linehan's text is invaluable but it is can be somewhat "inaccessible" if you try to learn the model by reading alone or if you are not also able to observe DBT in practice. Behavioral Tech has some great video and online training resources that you might access through your school? The BTech website has some good reading and the DBTSelfHelp website is also an interesting cyber-resource for therapists and clients. Kelly Koerner's book on DBT in practice can give you a good sense of how many ways the model is now being used and contexts where studies are also underway.Alex Miller's work on DBT with adolescents is also good, even if you are not working with adolescents. Apparently a new edition of the original volume and skills book are close to release. Finding a way to join a local consultation group might also give you a way to see DBT in action and once you can observe the model at work the text becomes much easier to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I Hate You, Don't Leave Me is a good resource I think

Borderline Personality Disorder: A Clinical Guide by Gunderson

Understanding and Treating Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for Professionals and Families by Gunderson and Hoffman

Mentalization-based Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder: A Practical Guide by Bateman and Fonagy (good info though you may not agree with this treatment approach, I'm not sure how I feel about it)

Also, I LOVE Millon's personality theory, so I recommend checking out his books on personality pathology in general. I don't think you can find a book just about his theory of BPD, sadly.

Really I think research articles are better than books for BPD. There is a wealth of studies out there.

Last edited:
A couple of Linehan's books and some journal articles should provide a wealth of knowledge, though there can be quite a bit of variance between strict DBT and DBT informed treatment, so YMMV.

i agree linehan is probably the best resource. i also like the schema focused approach to conceptualization and treatment of BPD. there are a couple of articles on it and in the book Schema Therapy: A Practitioner's Guide by Young, Klosko and Weishaar ( i think thats how you spell it) there is a full chapter on BPD