SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by jungatheart, Jun 22, 2008.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jungatheart

jungatheart

Jun 22, 2008
    Boston
    Does anyone have any experience with the Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis? I'm looking specifically at their Master of Arts in Psychoanalytic Counseling program which leads to licensure as a mental health counselor. I'm new to this forum and have appreciated reading your posts. I appreciate your help and shared wisdom.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. veesie

veesie 5+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2008
    You have to apply and go to three interviews which is the tradition in psychoanalytic institutes. If I were you, I would definitely go visit the school. It is very small and focused on psychoanalysis specifically. It is unique in that the program is academic as well as emotional because they want to train you well in this area so that you are prepared as a clinician. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm not there yet. I recently went for a visit and went to a conference, and I personally loved it! But, again, it is a exactly what I am looking for, and it is a very specific area of study. The administration is very friendly and would be a great help in terms of asking questions and getting acquainted with the school and setting up interviews. It's known for being a little disorganized but that's because they are often in the process of adding / changing programs. It's not for everyone but it may very well be for you! Good luck.

4. jungatheart

jungatheart

Jun 22, 2008
    Boston
    vessie, thanks for the input and for sharing your experience. I certainly don't think it would hurt for me to pay them a visit especially considering I'm so close. I have several concerns that may not be covered on a tour. One is how having a degree from there would look if I wanted to get a doctorate in the future (not from the BGSP). I'm also concerned that they're not APA accredited, which given their orientation they may not feel is necessary. Perhaps some of our more experienced members can speak to their reputation.

5. veesie

veesie 5+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Yes, I understand your concerns, and I have shared them. I would also like to go on to get my PhD from another university after studying at BGSP. It's the emotional experience that I'm seeking at the BGSP that I don't think is offered with such intensity elsewhere. I'm sure you will find out more as you continue to ask around. Good luck to you.

6. cbress

cbress

Jun 30, 2008
    Hi Jungatheart, I completed an MA with BGSP and found myself pushing my way to the finish line. The school was in general very disorganized. I remember I had the same experience as Vessie when I interviewed. Following my three interviews, I felt this was the right program for me. Today I understand that during those interviews they basically "reflected" back my questions. For example, I asked if they studied a variety of psychoanalytic theories to which the interviewing psychoanalyst responded, "Is that important to you?" In short, she never really responded to my questions but I left feeling like I was in the right place. It seems that my comfort stemmed more from an interview/session setting, rather than from an organized and serious interview experience. The rest of my experience was similar to the interviews; very little theory and a ton of emotional and feelings talk in classes. Some faculty were actually quite brash with students who weren't good at displaying their feelings, a way in which many professors assessed a trainees good mental health and readiness to analyze others (along with mandatory psychoanalytic sessions with someone from the school).
    It is a problem that they are not accredited because trying later to transfer credits to an APA accredited doctorate program is virtually impossible. Getting an LMHC is also a struggle. Among the surrounding psychoanalytic community they are considered a small and insular school with questionable ethics. I would advise you to take a look at what other people have to say on studentreviews.com. However, I must admit that the "feelings" format and the general atmosphere of the school seemed to work for some students. Unfortunately, it was not a good format for what I wanted. I agree that psychoanalysis is a unique type of training that differs from mainstream psychology. However, I also believe that a good training program balances out helping students acquire professional identity by inserting them into a philosophy (whatever that may be), without neglecting to teach the student how to communicate with the professional community at large (diversified training). BGSP does too much of the former and very little of the latter.

7. JockNerd

JockNerd 5+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Massively unethical.

8. thepsychgeek

thepsychgeek 2+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Agreed.

9. cbress

cbress

Jun 30, 2008
    I know, they are "massively unethical". I'm currently in a PsyD. program and when I compare the differing atmospheres I'm even more perplexed at how such a program can manage to continue...

10. michalita

michalita New Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2006
    New England
    Masters programs are not accredited by the APA. Only doctorate level programs are.

11. veesie

veesie 5+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Cbress, just out of curiosity, did you write one of the student reviews? i have read them.

12. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    Yup.

As for transferring credits into a doctoral program, I don't think any program will accept masters credits in 'mental health counseling' into 'clinical psychology'. I know people who have had an MS in Clinical Psych or Experimental or something similar have some credits transfer, but MHC seems too different. I'd think the same issue would happen trying to transfer social work credits into psych, etc.

13. psychdee

psychdee

Oct 4, 2008
    hi guys

i am also interested in the boston grad school of psychoanalysis so your previous messages about it being unethical i am concerned about.

would anyone be able to ellaborate more about what in particular they found unethical about the program? it would be much appreciated! thanks,

14. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    "along with mandatory psychoanalytic sessions with someone from the school..."

Do you not think recieving psychotherapy from ther same individuals who are responsible for your academic evaluations/grading poses a dual role and severe conflict of interest that biases both activities? This is a blatant violation of the APA ethics code. I would also argue that teaching psychoanalytic theory as the "only way" to do therapy is an ethical slippery slope as well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  15. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    I've heard of some programs having therapy be a part of their experience, but not directly linked to academic and/or clinical training...particularly with school faculty. I think it is good for the person to have that experience, but not with people where a duel relationship could happen.

I think institute training like this can be valuable as an adjunct, but not as the sole training. There is still a place for psychoanalytic work, but I think to be ethical a person should receive training in other empirically supported orientations.....in the event that a psychoanalytic approach isn't as well supported.

16. Swan82

Swan82 Tucan 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Post Deleted

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  17. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    Wait a minute. Hold the phone. Psychoanalysts="arrogant;" ignore data in favor of individual anecdotes; work slow; focused on money.

Who'd a thunk it....

18. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Talk about arrogance. I don't think we should generalize one experience to psychoanalysis as a whole, since psychoanalyst are quite the diverse bunch. Psychologist from other orientations can be quite arrogant too.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    LAPsyGuy likes this.
  19. smalltownpsych

smalltownpsych 2+ Year Member

My primary orientation is psychodynamic and I appreciate what psychoanalysis brought to the field historically, but I also appreciate the negatives it has brought us. I really think that keeping that outdated theory and treatment perspective alive is not a good thing. It gets in the way of going forward in my opinion.

20. Ollie123

Ollie123 10+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I agree in principle, but you have to admit there is some humor in this place basically being a living caricature of what seems like every existing stereotype of analysts...

smalltownpsych likes this.
  21. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    Don't be so sensitive. See Ollie's post.

22. smalltownpsych

But do analysts even have a sense of humor? ;)

23. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I simply advocate for an accurate critique of psychoanalysis that is free from stereotypes. I do not feel the stereotypes are helpful, especially, for the less informed crowd. Some individuals not familiar with current psychodynamic thinking might come to believe the stereotypes, in consequence, developing an inaccurate view of psychodynamic/psychoanalytic thinking, theory, and practice. I am of the believe that clinical psychology can benefit from clinicians with different perspectives.

Levy, K. N., & Anderson, T. (2013). Is clinical psychology doctoral training becoming less intellectually diverse? And if so, what can be done? Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 20(2), 211-220.

Nahsil and LAPsyGuy like this.
  24. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    Your mom!

No really…I think that is what they'd ask about. :D

Nahsil and Chalupacabra like this.
  25. smalltownpsych

:rofl: Always appreciate a little humor on a Friday!

psypipe likes this.
  26. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    However, if there were not some truth in those stereotypes, analysis would still be a dominant treatment modality. But there is. So it's not.

27. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Modern psychodynamic theory and practice=/=psychoanalysis, though.

28. smalltownpsych

That's what I was saying or at least trying to say. Sometimes I confuse myself.
    :confused:

29. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Well, that is a debatable topic (http://icpla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Safran-J.-Interview-with-Lewis-Aron.pdf) which speaks more to the importance of avoiding stereotypes and providing correct information. Even if both were different, the stereotype still applies, both are connected, assumed to be the same, and talked about in the same context. Also, there is something to be said about changes in contemporary psychoanalysis, and how stereotypes lead undergraduates astray when trying to understand how contemporary psychoanalysis is practiced. I feel it is important for students who peruse the forums to be aware of other perspectives rather than rely on the usual stereotypes.

30. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    The Boston school sure isnt doing you any favors, apparently.

31. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I am not interested in that school, but I do not know much about them.

32. smalltownpsych

I really think contemporary psychoanalysis is an oxymoron. Our culture is permeated with the version of Freudian psychoanalysis so to use the approach of "just say no" to stereotypes and caricatures is a poor strategy. More than half of the images on the first page of a google images search for psychotherapy are of someone on a couch. This is hit number one.

[​IMG]

33. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

34. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I disagree given that the misinformation often leads to mocking of psychoanalytic theory and practice. I opine this is detrimental to the field and prospective students for various reason (see article above). I am curious about what the most practical approach would be in your opinion. One that does not involve furthering the pervasive misunderstands and derisions of the psychoanalytic/psychodynamic approach.

35. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    The practical approach is to adopt the few universally accepted aspects of analytic/dynamic theory and.... move on.

36. smalltownpsych

What Erg said. Also, stop conflating current psychodynamic theory with psychoanalysis. It is not the same thing at all.

I think we should probably move away from the term psychodynamic, too, but it might be a while before we can begin really integrating and reconciling the various schools of thought. Although I do it every day in my practice since I can't get my patients to stay in the right category.

psypipe likes this.
  37. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    My analyst has a chaise/couch. Ironically she is always ending sessions on time. Whereas the car salesman I went to today tried to keep me forever.

It's like when someone is trying to sell you something, they want increased contact. But when they have already sold you something they just want you to go away.

Now I know how my dates feel.

super.ego likes this.
  38. psypipe

psypipe 5+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2010
    While I don't agree or disagree with the above. It definitely sounds insightful and respectful. Thank you for sharing.

39. LAPsyGuy

LAPsyGuy 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2010
    What a frightening poor attempt at reasoning. Do you apply this logic to other groups with negative stereotypes?

40. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    Yes.

41. LAPsyGuy

LAPsyGuy 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2010
    I figured. It fits.

42. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    The burn is deep...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    LAPsyGuy likes this.
  43. LAPsyGuy

LAPsyGuy 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Nice that you can admit it. Maybe you're finally growing up.

44. PsychBiker

PsychBiker 7+ Year Member

May 6, 2008
    Through my years, I have slowly become aware of the significant characterological wounds many members here have, particularly those who are licensed Psychologists.

I do not exclude myself either, however.

LAPsyGuy likes this.
  45. erg923

Apr 6, 2007
    Sarcasm, son. Sarcasm.

46. LAPsyGuy

LAPsyGuy 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm taking you literally from now on. It makes what you write funnier.

47. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    We really need a couple sticky threads to keep most things from getting threadjacked. You guys can have your own "Erg/LAPsyGuy Tort/Retort" thread, and maybe another "Fact check OND" thread. It'd keep the rest of these things much cleaner.

LAPsyGuy and kestrelcry like this.
  48. LAPsyGuy

LAPsyGuy 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2010
    We need tort reform!

49. smalltownpsych

lol Is there really such a thing as an initial tort or is it always just retort? Do we need to recapitulate or does the first capitulation suffice? I know that we can hash and rehash the same argument. I swear it feels like Friday and it's only Tuesday.

LAPsyGuy likes this.
  50. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    Well, only in the sense of legal matters. It was more just a word joke to supplement a bigger theme :)

smalltownpsych and LAPsyGuy like this.
  51. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Ph. D. Student (School Psychology) 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2015
    "Can you ever just be whelmed?"

kestrelcry likes this.