Boston Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailToTheThielf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many hospitals in Boston are teaching hospitals where you can do your residency? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

HailToTheThielf said:
how many hospitals in Boston are teaching hospitals where you can do your residency? Thanks

A zillion:

Beth Israel Deaconness Med center
Brigham and Womens
Children's
Joselyn Diabetes
Mass Eye and Ear
Boston Medical Center
Tufts/Floating
Mass General
Mt. Auburn (cambridge)
Shriners Burn Center
St. Elizabeth
and on and on and on and on...

is north shore/salem hospital any good? How far is it from boston?

chicamedica said:
is north shore/salem hospital any good? How far is it from boston?

Do some research, go to their website. 20 minutes.

(nicedream) said:
Do some research, go to their website. 20 minutes.

:rolleyes: I did already. Obviously they're not gonna say anything bad about themselves. It wasn't that detailed of a website either. I searched SDN to no avail, and Scutwork didn't have any reviews.

So to those of you who have something useful to say about this program, it would be really appreciated! for example, how does it compare to, say, Lahey or Mt Auburn.

Thanks.

chicamedica said:
:rolleyes: I did already. Obviously they're not gonna say anything bad about themselves. It wasn't that detailed of a website either. I searched SDN to no avail, and Scutwork didn't have any reviews.

So to those of you who have something useful to say about this program, it would be really appreciated! for example, how does it compare to, say, Lahey or Mt Auburn.

Thanks.

Sounds like you meant to ask a reasonable question. "Does anyone have inside knowledge of X program?"

Instead you asked "Does anyone know anything about X? Does anyone know where it is?" At which point you lost all credibility. While the website may not candidly discuss the weaknesses of their GME programs, I suspect it does mention their address. Put it into one of several internet map sites and you can find out how far it is from Boston.

Your question gave the distinct impression you had put no thought or effort into finding the answers yourself. (Despite that not being true!) Hence the snippy replies you received.

Pilot Doc said:
Sounds like you meant to ask a reasonable question. "Does anyone have inside knowledge of X program?"

Instead you asked "Does anyone know anything about X? Does anyone know where it is?" At which point you lost all credibility. While the website may not candidly discuss the weaknesses of their GME programs, I suspect it does mention their address. Put it into one of several internet map sites and you can find out how far it is from Boston.

Your question gave the distinct impression you had put no thought or effort into finding the answers yourself. (Despite that not being true!) Hence the snippy replies you received.

Um, if you know anything at all about Boston traffic, just looking it up on mapquest or looking at their address (they're in Salem, DUH!) isn't going to be that informative as to how far they are from boston.

I hope that I can get some constructive info now?

Why is it that noone has a problem with the same ERAS questions being asked ad nauseum without people doing search or looking at ERAS instructions, yet a legit question is flamed? If you think it's a dumb question, either ignore it, or be just as snippy to everyone else! Yours was actually the only snippy response, and has no place here.

chicamedica said:
Um, if you know anything at all about Boston traffic, just looking it up on mapquest or looking at their address (they're in Salem, DUH!) isn't going to be that informative as to how far they are from boston.

I hope that I can get some constructive info now?

Why is it that noone has a problem with the same ERAS questions being asked ad nauseum without people doing search or looking at ERAS instructions, yet a legit question is flamed? If you think it's a dumb question, either ignore it, or be just as snippy to everyone else! Yours was actually the only snippy response, and has no place here.

Actually, I think mine was snippy too.
If you go to their website, it says "20 minutes from Boston."

(nicedream) said:
Actually, I think mine was snippy too.
If you go to their website, it says "20 minutes from Boston."

All right, that was what you meant by "20 minutes". . .fine. . .i didn't notice that on the website. Thanks.

But you didn't answer my major question. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO MY MAIN QUESTION? WHAT IS THE HOSPITAL LIKE? HOW IS DOING RESIDENCY THERE? IF ANYONE HAS SPECIFIC COMMENTS ON THE MEDICINE PROGRAM THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED>

Anyway. . .i realize that many of us are snippy these days, myself included. . .but it would be nice to bear with each other and act collegial through this hectic time.

Peace?? Peace.

Hi...you're right...I think people are on edge (plus the nice summer weather is gone and who likes this cold stuff? Heehee)

Good luck finding out info on that place (sorry, I know nada). What are you applying for?

julestx said:
Hi...you're right...I think people are on edge (plus the nice summer weather is gone and who likes this cold stuff? Heehee)

Good luck finding out info on that place (sorry, I know nada). What are you applying for?
Thanks. . .I'm only applying for prelim med there, but I really have not heard ANYTHING about the quality of this place. All I know is that you can rotate through BWH and MGH, but i'm not even sure if that's worth it (say, if the program sucks).

chicamedica said:
But you didn't answer my major question. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO MY MAIN QUESTION? WHAT IS THE HOSPITAL LIKE? HOW IS DOING RESIDENCY THERE? IF ANYONE HAS SPECIFIC COMMENTS ON THE MEDICINE PROGRAM THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED>

It is about an hour from Boston with traffic and it is totally the wrong program for you. You would be kicked out in about two minutes with your ungrateful attitude and crass manners.

McGillGrad said:
It is about an hour from Boston with traffic and it is totally the wrong program for you. You would be kicked out in about two minutes with your ungrateful attitude and crass manners.

Oooh, you're harsh! What was I supposed to be grateful for? the snippy uninformative comments?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the more accurate estimate of distance from Boston. I assume you're a resident there, McGillGrad? From what you said, I can infer the environment is probably friendly (although the way this comment came from you speaks otherwise).

Can you offer any more info as to what the program is like? How is the teaching? Will I learn a lot of medicine? Is the program well organized? Resident-friendly? Collegial? How are the ancillary services?

Much appreciated.

chicamedica said:
Oooh, you're harsh! What was I supposed to be grateful for? the snippy uninformative comments?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the more accurate estimate of distance from Boston. I assume you're a resident there, McGillGrad? From what you said, I can infer the environment is probably friendly (although the way this comment came from you speaks otherwise).

Can you offer any more info as to what the program is like? How is the teaching? Will I learn a lot of medicine? Is the program well organized? Resident-friendly? Collegial? How are the ancillary services?

Much appreciated.

I'm with you, Chicamedica. Have you noticed that as you wander away from the anesthesiology forum, some people are more impatient, less friendly, and stressed out. This is a reflection of what is to come next year. Aren't you glad u are going into anesthesiology :)

Listen guys, those of you who have nothing to contribute should not waste their time typing crap and making other people's lives difficult. I'm sure if you think about, this makes sense.

jc237 said:
I'm with you, Chicamedica. Have you noticed that as you wander away from the anesthesiology forum, some people are more impatient, less friendly, and stressed out. This is a reflection of what is to come next year. Aren't you glad u are going into anesthesiology :)

Listen guys, those of you who have nothing to contribute should not waste their time typing crap and making other people's lives difficult. I'm sure if you think about, this makes sense.

Hi 5, man!! :D

McGillGrad said:
You would be kicked out in about two minutes with your ungrateful attitude and crass manners.

So, maybe I am missing something but how exactly is chicamedica being ungrateful and crass....

1 thing I have noticed more and more lately....why are people so freakin' edgy (sp?)...is it b/c we are in the application season?....big deal...so am I and I am not being a Fatty McFattypants :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (gotta love those EM guys....they have a sense of humor)....

can we all just get along.... :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)