back biting at hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a residency PD, I see complaints from nursing about residents on a regular basis. However not every resident gets complaints -- they tend to cluster in a few residents. The thing that separates those residents who get complaints from the rest is their communication skills. It's not the "event" that creates the complaint, its your reaction to it. Perhaps people are trying to give you direct feedback, but they sense that you are not open to feedback.

When I give residents feedback about this, the response is virtually uniform -- the problem is the nurses, they complain about everyone. The resident usually completely denies that they could be part of the problem at all.
Are the complaints from nursing valid? I honestly think nurses are a huge part of the problem. They complain about the most trivial things. How do they even have time to constantly file written complaints on people? I think they should use their interpersonal communication skills, and be mature enough to address the issue with the person first, before going behind their back and filing trivial complaints. It doesn't build trust or improve patient care (in my opinion), if people are going around snitching and backstabbing. It also takes longer for the problem to be addressed than if they would just say something to the person.

At my previous hospital, they once filed a complaint because someone huffed on the phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are the complaints from nursing valid? I honestly think nurses are a huge part of the problem. They complain about the most trivial things. How do they even have time to constantly file written complaints on people? I think they should use their interpersonal communication skills, and be mature enough to address the issue with the person first, before going behind their back and filing trivial complaints. It doesn't build trust or improve patient care (in my opinion), if people are going around snitching and backstabbing. It also takes longer for the problem to be addressed than if they would just say something to the person.

At my previous hospital, they once filed a complaint because someone huffed on the phone.

We review all concerns submitted. Whether or not they are "valid" is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps "huffing" on the phone is not a big deal to you. Others might consider it rude.

Submitting a concern is time consuming. If a nurse does so, it's because they feel that it's worth their time to bring it to someone's attention.

If we have a resident with a single concern, we usually do nothing other than review it with them. But some residents generate multiple concerns -- that usually portends a problem.

I've been practicing for 20 years. I have zero nursing complaints (as far as I know). Being polite, treating the nurses as colleagues, and knowing and using their names = no complaints. Even when a nurse does something I'm not pleased with, I keep my cool, deal with the issue, and then report it (if needed) to the nursing leader.

Reactions: 4 users
Would a user actually engage in this activity and still become a lifetime donor? I assume they paid a fair amount of money?

Being a donor doesn't provide you any special status or protection from the rules of the site, despite what that user seemed to think.

And odds on this being the latest respawn anyone???

Reactions: 4 users
We review all concerns submitted. Whether or not they are "valid" is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps "huffing" on the phone is not a big deal to you. Others might consider it rude.

Submitting a concern is time consuming. If a nurse does so, it's because they feel that it's worth their time to bring it to someone's attention.

If we have a resident with a single concern, we usually do nothing other than review it with them. But some residents generate multiple concerns -- that usually portends a problem.

I've been practicing for 20 years. I have zero nursing complaints (as far as I know). Being polite, treating the nurses as colleagues, and knowing and using their names = no complaints. Even when a nurse does something I'm not pleased with, I keep my cool, deal with the issue, and then report it (if needed) to the nursing leader.
I've had zero complaints, too, but I was the one from my department who had to go to the meetings where we would review all the complaints every week. Some of the complaints weren't even related to patient safety in any way.

Huffing is not polite, but I don't think it warrants a complaint. I've honestly seen more rude and unprofessional behavior from nursing staff than any physician, NP, or PA. Even so, I do think it's great that you review all the concerns and then determine what needs to be done. You seem very reasonable and fair in the way you handle situations.

Being a donor doesn't provide you any special status or protection from the rules of the site, despite what that user seemed to think.

And odds on this being the latest respawn anyone???

My money is on that account being a respawn of a different recently banned troll actually but we're looking into it.

Reactions: 2 users
:hilarious:

Reactions: 2 users
1us2x6.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Had to laugh at your observations, mainly because you surely hit the nail on the head...it really does feel like the entirety of our cultural interactions are infused with a greatly and falsely acquired sense of outrage over all manner of perceived slights, whereby large swaths of folks are just waiting to pounce on their perceived tormentor and bellow, "I am offended!" Perhaps the most reasonable strategy is to treat others respectfully and be non-reactive to an unbalanced vituperation.

Reactions: 3 users
My money is on that account being a respawn of a different recently banned troll actually but we're looking into it.
If that sociopath is indeed a medical student, do you have the ability to reach out to his dean for the storms of harassing posts? There's probably a professionalism citation there, somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
If that sociopath is indeed a medical student, do you have the ability to reach out to his dean for the storms of harassing posts? There's probably a professionalism citation there, somewhere.

Even if we did have a way to know exactly the identity of a troll, we respect the privacy of all of our users, trolls included. All mods have to sign a statement attesting that we won't abuse our privileges by sharing the personal information of any of the users with others, so if it got out that any of us violated that, we could be in legal trouble ourselves.

Besides, I can say that based on personal experience, people with consistently toxic internet personalities tend to be pretty toxic IRL.

Reactions: 5 users
Even if we did have a way to know exactly the identity of a troll, we respect the privacy of all of our users, trolls included. All mods have to sign a statement attesting that we won't abuse our privileges by sharing the personal information of any of the users with others, so if it got out that any of us violated that, we could be in legal trouble ourselves.

Besides, I can say that based on personal experience, people with consistently toxic internet personalities tend to be pretty toxic IRL.

Ahhh, too bad. Guess you'll have to keep several Banhammer handy, locked and loaded.

Definitely published data out there to support your second point.

Allow me to clarify:

while we do respect users privacy, it does not prevent us from taking legal steps to stop harassment of our site and members. Therefore we can(and have) provided information to law enforcement/school officials and even the FBI when and where appropriate, including when SDN has been subpoenaed for information.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.