boston secondary confusion...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kateycat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The prompt states:

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you exerienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

after reading the first sentence, i thought it would make sense to address my reasons for transferring schools. but the "for example" stuff makes me wonder if i'm waaay off base on this. would i be better off talking about time spent volunteering/learning about a certain social issue? or talk about training for a marathon i ran? these things are both included in my amcas activities, but not in that much detail.

so yeah, this secondary is making my head hurt. the last sentence, "it is not necessary to write anything" is actually tempting just because i don't want to write something so off topic and come off sounding like an idiot...

anyone else have a better interpretation or idea of what this secondary q is looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

would i be better off talking about time spent volunteering/learning about a certain social issue? or talk about training for a marathon i ran? these things are both included in my amcas activities, but not in that much detail.
I think this is more like what they are looking for. I would talk about transferring schools (if you want to) in the 2nd optional essay (the one that's just "if you have anything else...").

they just want to know if you bring any diversity to their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh... man i think i need to take a break from the secondaries, haha. now it makes sense.

thanks.

When I filled out that app, it didn't include the little description about diversity and whatnot. Now I feel like I answered the question wrong.

Yeah, they changed that prompt mid-cycle. That probably won't reflect negatively on you.

I even asked them about that question through the message center and they just responded by saying it was asking about my education in general. A bit vague but oh well.

Yeah, me too! Must be why they eventually changed it. :D

Yeah, they changed that prompt mid-cycle. That probably won't reflect negatively on you.

****e! Thanks for clarifying that. I was just trying to figure out why I didn't remember that as being the focus of the question. And dayum, but I could have nailed that one! I would have expounded on my study abroad experience, work abroad experience, and my past career and perspective. Grrrr. Instead I gave a very succinct timeline of the non-trad aspects of my education and study/work abroad without ANY description or details. Nice of them to change the prompt mid-cycle on us.