Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boston University MAMS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this space to ask any questions that you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the percentage of students being accepted to med school during the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I did an informal post-bacc for 2 years after graduation and would like to attend an SMP to improve my GPA. I received a 3.0 in my post-bacc, should I focus on this on my application essay? I want to explain why I didn't do too well and why I can improve but I don't want to sound like I am making excuses.

Last edited:
Hello, I did an informal post-bacc for 2 years after graduation and would like to attend an SMP to improve my GPA. I only maintained about a 3.0 in my post-bacc, should I focus on this on my application essay? I want to explain why I didn't do too well and why I can improve but I don't want to sound like I am making excuses.
I would make an appointment to speak with the program director, Dr. Offner, or our program administrator, Ali Grise. They will be able to give you more precise advice on your individual background!

I would make an appointment to speak with the program director, Dr. Offner, or our program administrator, Ali Grise. They will be able to give you more precise advice on your individual background!
Sounds good, thank you for your feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I have a friend currently in his second year in the MAMS program and he loves it. With that being said, I am extremely interested in applying for 2018-2019 but wanted some feedback on when I should apply based on my situation...
My cGPA is a 3.2, my sGPA is a 2.9, I'm taking the GRE in early November and taking the MCAT in April. If all goes well, I should be sitting at a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.1 after this semester (I am a senior at a small liberal arts college). Should apply as soon as I get my GRE scores? Or wait until my fall semester grades come in to give me a little GPA cushioning? I also have research experience at 3 different institutions, volunteer/leadership experience, OR shadowing hours and community service. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hello! I have a friend currently in his second year in the MAMS program and he loves it. With that being said, I am extremely interested in applying for 2018-2019 but wanted some feedback on when I should apply based on my situation...
My cGPA is a 3.2, my sGPA is a 2.9, I'm taking the GRE in early November and taking the MCAT in April. If all goes well, I should be sitting at a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.1 after this semester (I am a senior at a small liberal arts college). Should apply as soon as I get my GRE scores? Or wait until my fall semester grades come in to give me a little GPA cushioning? I also have research experience at 3 different institutions, volunteer/leadership experience, OR shadowing hours and community service. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I would recommend applying after your fall grades to allow you to put forward your best application. The admissions committee does not start reviewing applications until January, so you will still be early! We recommend people apply by April 1st, although it is all space-limiting and some may be accepted later into the summer depending!

Hi Everyone! I am a career changer with a 508 mcat and 3.22 science and cumulative gpa from my undergrad degree and a 3.7 in my postbacc courses. Any input on whether I should apply to this program would be appreciated. thank you

Hi, I have a 512 MCAT and a sGPA of 3.5 wondering whether this program is still a good idea for me

Hey all! Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this space to ask any questions that you may have!

Hi, I was wondering about when the best time for me to apply to the program would be. I have completed all the prereqs and have a 3.46cGPA and around 3.2sGPA. Unfortunately I will be retaking organic 2 this spring for the second time. I haven't made above a C- yet. I have A's and B's in all other prereq courses. My question is, do you think I should wait until after spring semester to apply to MAMS once I have a better grade in organic or apply in December/January? I have good EC's and 2 years research at my university's medical school. Also, does it look bad to the admissions committee that I am retaking a class for the second time? I would love any feedback or opinions on my chance of being admitted. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! We just wanted to post addressing the number of questions we have received on SDN regarding admission chances based off of individual GPA/MCAT. This page is run by student representatives who do not have a role in the admissions process. What we can assure you is that Boston University uses a holistic review process for applications, so it does not always come down to just numbers. Our ideal applicant has at least a 3.0 overall GPA, 50th percentile on the MCAT or a GRE quantitative score of 70th percentile or higher. MAMS will accept people below this- this is not a cutoff, just an average. Letters of recommendation, life experiences, and personal statements all play a large role. To address another common question, the admissions committee does not start reviewing applications until January and we suggest applying by April 1st for those who are very serious about attending MAMS. Just try to focus on putting together the best application you can! We are happy to answer any program related questions that you may have!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about the application itself. I have filled out all parts of the application and my letters of recommendation were sent via interfolio. However, the app shows as incomplete so I wasn't able to submit it. I'm guessing it's because my letters of rec haven't been uploaded onto my app yet?

Applied on Dec 23, 2017

Hi, I have a question about the application itself. I have filled out all parts of the application and my letters of recommendation were sent via interfolio. However, the app shows as incomplete so I wasn't able to submit it. I'm guessing it's because my letters of rec haven't been uploaded onto my app yet?
Hey! so interfolio doesn't register in the application system that you requested that LOR be sent- but no worries! Just go onto the application portal and "invite" someone to submit a LOR by using their name but use the mams at bu.edu email. That let's you "invite" someone without actually requesting. You'll be able to submit after that!

Thanks for the information!

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me how much support students receive throughout the program from advisors. It's a much larger program than some of the other ones I am applying to, so I'm concerned that individualized attention might be lacking. Is it easy to make appointments with an advisor? Are you expected to meet with an advisor frequently throughout the program?

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me how much support students receive throughout the program from advisors. It's a much larger program than some of the other ones I am applying to, so I'm concerned that individualized attention might be lacking. Is it easy to make appointments with an advisor? Are you expected to meet with an advisor frequently throughout the program?
Hi! Honestly, this is the most supportive environment I have ever been a part of. The professors are so dedicated to teaching and are always willing to meet with you to discuss information or just to chat. I used to meet with professors regularly to go over problem areas and solidify topics. Additionally, each student is assignment an advisor. Each advisor has around 20 advisees. The advisors are great about setting up meetings and are very available. The advisors and professors truly care about our success and it makes the entire process easier knowing you have a great support system.

So in conclusion, I would say that one of the greatest strengths about the program is the support!

Canadian applicant 511 mcat , c GPA 3.2 sgpa 3.08 masters 3.7 GPA. Any other Canadian in the forum applying?

I hope I get in with my stats. Fingers crossed

Does anyone have an idea of when we might start hearing back? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any clubs or activities for the students to join? Do students ever use the gross anatomy lab? Also, are there any shadowing or volunteer opportunities at BMC or any other surrounding hospitals?

Are there any clubs or activities for the students to join? Do students ever use the gross anatomy lab? Also, are there any shadowing or volunteer opportunities at BMC or any other surrounding hospitals?
There are many ways to get involved on campus! Check out the GMSSO, student life, and GMS In The Community tabs on the GMS website for ideas! (it won't let me post the links here- but it will come up on google) BUSM is located directly next to Boston Medical Center and Boston Healthcare for the Homeless Program (BHCHP) and there are many ways to volunteer. The medical school also runs a program called Outreach Van Project and there are occasionally spots for non-medical students to join. Don't worry too much about this now - the members of the MAMS Subcommittee and Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organizations (both of which you can apply to) will give you a lot of information as it becomes closer to the start of the Fall semester!

MAMS uses rolling admission so you should hear back around three weeks after you submit your application

Thank you for the help! I submitted my application back in October and am still waiting to hear so I was not sure if they started sending out decisions or not yet

MAMS uses rolling admission so you should hear back around three weeks after you submit your application
I applied in September. Someone from admissions told me that they just started reviewing applications in January and answers will start going out within 4 to 6 weeks.

I applied in September. Someone from admissions told me that they just started reviewing applications in January and answers will start going out within 4 to 6 weeks.
Yup! To reply to both nuggeti0i and JEGBC, they just started reviewing so you should hear back soon! Feel free to call or email with specific questions about your application

Hey all, is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

For people who already submitted, did you get an email confirming that the application was completed?

Will applicants be phased out of consideration if their GRE scores (Quantitative and Verbal) are not both at the 70th percentile? My verbal is well over the 70th percentile and my quantitative is at the 68th percentile and I am wondering if I should retake the test or apply with the scores I currently have.

Any word yet on acceptances?

Will applicants be phased out of consideration if their GRE scores (Quantitative and Verbal) are not both at the 70th percentile? My verbal is well over the 70th percentile and my quantitative is at the 68th percentile and I am wondering if I should retake the test or apply with the scores I currently have.
I would not re-take the GRE. We use a holistic review process and scores are just one component!

Are first round decisions coming out this week? This was about the time last year applicants started hearing back.

Is there a time of day or specific weekday when we should anticipate receiving an email regarding decisions, or do they go out every day?

Decisions are rolling admission, so you should hear back between 3-5 (ish) weeks after you're complete

I completed it in September they said 2 weeks ago that applicants should be hearing soon. I’m just curious if they are still reviewing or if anyone in a similar position has heard anything yet.

I completed it in September they said 2 weeks ago that applicants should be hearing soon. I’m just curious if they are still reviewing or if anyone in a similar position has heard anything yet.

They began reviewing in mid-January and will continue to do so throughout the Spring semester. They try to get back as soon as they can but it depends on volume of applications. Feel free to contact the admissions department or Ali Grise ([email protected]) with any personal inquiries.

I was complete in November (so not quite as early as you) and haven't heard anything either! Hoping for a decision in the next couple of weeks.

Did anyone else apply to any other masters programs? I’ve been holding off submitting to others till I hear back from BU because it is my top choice, but deadlines are getting close

I was complete in November (so not quite as early as you) and haven't heard anything either! Hoping for a decision in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck! Yea I’m just getting anxious to hear, let me know when you hear back as well! :)

Did anyone else apply to any other masters programs? I’ve been holding off submitting to others till I hear back from BU because it is my top choice, but deadlines are getting close

I only applied to the Hopkins MS in biotechnology with the health intensive concentration it’s a similar program but still waiting to hear from that one and BU. If I were you I would def send in your applications or have them ready to send just in case. I have a couple of other programs I’m going to apply to if I don’t get one of these two. Good luck!

Got my acceptance yesterday morning!

Reactions: 4 users