Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Boston University MAMS, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Boston University MAMS

Boston University MAMS

Sep 12, 2017
    Hey all! Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this space to ask any questions that you may have!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HanSoloYolo

HanSoloYolo

Jul 22, 2017
    What is the percentage of students being accepted to med school during the program?

4. Boston University MAMS

Boston University MAMS

Sep 12, 2017
    It depends on how the students do! Those with a MAMS GPA of 3.5 or above have shown to be 85% successful in getting into medical school

5. Abbyc93

Abbyc93

Sep 13, 2017
    Hello, I did an informal post-bacc for 2 years after graduation and would like to attend an SMP to improve my GPA. I received a 3.0 in my post-bacc, should I focus on this on my application essay? I want to explain why I didn't do too well and why I can improve but I don't want to sound like I am making excuses.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. Abbyc93

Abbyc93

Sep 13, 2017

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Boston University MAMS

Boston University MAMS

Sep 12, 2017
    I would make an appointment to speak with the program director, Dr. Offner, or our program administrator, Ali Grise. They will be able to give you more precise advice on your individual background!

8. Abbyc93

Abbyc93

Sep 13, 2017
    Sounds good, thank you for your feedback!

9. cpapathe

cpapathe

Sep 26, 2017
    Hello! I have a friend currently in his second year in the MAMS program and he loves it. With that being said, I am extremely interested in applying for 2018-2019 but wanted some feedback on when I should apply based on my situation...
    My cGPA is a 3.2, my sGPA is a 2.9, I'm taking the GRE in early November and taking the MCAT in April. If all goes well, I should be sitting at a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.1 after this semester (I am a senior at a small liberal arts college). Should apply as soon as I get my GRE scores? Or wait until my fall semester grades come in to give me a little GPA cushioning? I also have research experience at 3 different institutions, volunteer/leadership experience, OR shadowing hours and community service. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

10. Boston University MAMS

Boston University MAMS

Sep 12, 2017
    I would recommend applying after your fall grades to allow you to put forward your best application. The admissions committee does not start reviewing applications until January, so you will still be early! We recommend people apply by April 1st, although it is all space-limiting and some may be accepted later into the summer depending!

11. cpapathe

cpapathe

Sep 26, 2017
    Awesome, thank you so much!

12. kimkim88

kimkim88 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2015
    Hi Everyone! I am a career changer with a 508 mcat and 3.22 science and cumulative gpa from my undergrad degree and a 3.7 in my postbacc courses. Any input on whether I should apply to this program would be appreciated. thank you

13. gigglepig

gigglepig

Oct 8, 2017
    Hi, I have a 512 MCAT and a sGPA of 3.5 wondering whether this program is still a good idea for me

14. med.run.eats

med.run.eats

Wednesday
    Hi, I was wondering about when the best time for me to apply to the program would be. I have completed all the prereqs and have a 3.46cGPA and around 3.2sGPA. Unfortunately I will be retaking organic 2 this spring for the second time. I haven't made above a C- yet. I have A's and B's in all other prereq courses. My question is, do you think I should wait until after spring semester to apply to MAMS once I have a better grade in organic or apply in December/January? I have good EC's and 2 years research at my university's medical school. Also, does it look bad to the admissions committee that I am retaking a class for the second time? I would love any feedback or opinions on my chance of being admitted. Thanks!

15. Boston University MAMS

Boston University MAMS

Sep 12, 2017
    Hi everyone! We just wanted to post addressing the number of questions we have received on SDN regarding admission chances based off of individual GPA/MCAT. This page is run by student representatives who do not have a role in the admissions process. What we can assure you is that Boston University uses a holistic review process for applications, so it does not always come down to just numbers. Our ideal applicant has at least a 3.0 overall GPA, 50th percentile on the MCAT or a GRE quantitative score of 70th percentile or higher. MAMS will accept people below this- this is not a cutoff, just an average. Letters of recommendation, life experiences, and personal statements all play a large role. To address another common question, the admissions committee does not start reviewing applications until January and we suggest applying by April 1st for those who are very serious about attending MAMS. Just try to focus on putting together the best application you can! We are happy to answer any program related questions that you may have!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:02 PM