TheGrindIsAlwaysReal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got accepted into both Boston College and Boston University and I was wondering which is better for premed track. Some say that BC is better since it is a higher "ranking" school and it doesn't have as intense grade deflation as BU does; however, some say that BU is better since BU's STEM is better than BC's and that it might be helpful since BU actually has a Med school. I'm really confused and I don't know what to do... Please help!!!

Extra Information:
I am from Texas, so the two schools would both be outta state for me; BUT, they both gave me enough financial aid for BU and BC to be cheaper than my in-state school option.
My other option is the University of Texas at Austin, which is actually a pretty good in-state school (If UT is better, I'm willing to go here).

Members don't see this ad.

I think Doktermom's advice in another thread is apt here (emphasis mine):
As a general rule, you want to attend the undergrad school that will:
  • Challenge and develop your intellect and reasoning skills you while also allowing you to succeed. (Podunk U. won't challenge you adequately; not all can succeed at MIT.)
  • Be a place where you can be happy, fit in and find your people - thrive and be happy. For this, there is no better method than actually visiting the schools in question. Do LOTS of school visits until you can tell what matters to you.
  • Offer you opportunities for research and 'diving in'. Don't assume this necessarily means a large school as they have more competition for those resources and you are more likely to be 'just a number' to them. Many excellent small schools will find, facilitate and even create opportunities for interested students.
  • Be a place that helps you get into medical school AND that offers great opportunities for 'Plan B' in case you change your mind or don't 'cut it'. (At this stage in your life, odds of actually ending up in medical school are about 15%, so acknowledge that and DO have a solid Plan B.)
  • Consider cost versus prestige as appropriate to your own personal situation.
    • Some here will say "Go to the cheapest undergrad because it's only your medical school degree anyone will care about." If your odds of going to medical school were 85% instead of 15%, that might not be a bad bet. But with odds in the other direction, it's a foolish gamble.
    • Medical schools will care where your UG degree is from - some schools (top privates) more than others. State medical schools are perfectly content with state universities -- except CA medical schools have almost no in-state preference and there are tens of thousands of CA pre-meds at the UCs.
    • If you don't go to medical school for whatever reason, your UG could very well be your terminal degree and your future employers will care - again, some more than others.
    • If your parents (or grants) will cover the cost of attending a top private college, and you don't dislike the school, it's probably worth it.

And from gonnif :
However, GPA/MCAT score, in my view, are at least a magnitude of higher impact on admissions than does selectivity of institution.
However, college isnt simply a mechanism to get a GPA for medical school and should not be reduced to such.

The other thing you need to consider is the weather in Boston. If you haven't spent much time east of the Mississippi during the winter months, you'll be in for quite a shock. Even if you've gone on the occasional skiing trip here and there, it's not the same. Many students, especially from warmer states, have a very difficult time adjusting to the weather and the shorter days. Have you had to leave the house when it's 0 degrees but feels like -25? Many students (well, people in general) also have seasonal affective disorder which will probably be made worse by being away from family for the first time. This is not to say that you won't adjust, I'm just bringing up issues that I've discussed with many folks time and time again and it's something that soon-to-be college students need to be aware of so at least they're not caught off guard by it.

Visit! Seriously - spend some time at each school. BC and BU are very different from UTA so odds are you will have a strong preference that should be honored. Boston College is a relatively small school; BU is big, and UTA is HUGE! That's also a very relevant factor for most students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answers, but I have already had the opportunity to visit bitb BU and BC. I like both schools and things like weather wasn't too much of a problem as I went diring the winter as well.

My only concern is their education. Some posts on StudentDoctor say that BC is better since higher GPA are more common (relative to BU) since BU deflates grades a lot.

However, some also say that BC deflates grades as well and that their STEM is terrible. Also, about how BU has more volunteering/internships since it is in the middle of the Boston city and has its own Medical school.

So, purely judging academically, I was wondering which school I should choose.

But still, thank you for the other factors I should consider.

Here is what I'll say: regardless if you choose UT/BU/BC, you have to work hard. None of these schools are breeze-by and immediate acceptance into an MD program. They take dedication and a lot of studying. From my understanding, UT and BU have access to hospitals/research centers that go past their undergraduate capacity. BC has limited lab space, but if you want to join a lab, you just have to be willing to make the effort to go out and get it.

In terms of ranking, I would assume most adcoms view BU/BC similarly, and if you go to UT then you are streamlined into a pretty stellar UT med school system.

At the end of the day, any of the three will get you to where you want to be, as long as you are willing to put in the time and energy to commit to premed.

Repeating for emphasis:

At the end of the day, any of the three will get you to where you want to be, as long as you are willing to put in the time and energy to commit to premed.

Accepted MD Class of 2022