boston vs abbott

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have used all the companies .

In the last 3 years I have used boston sci more just because the technology seemed great. You have the rechargeable and non rechargeable options.

Recently the abbott rep came in. This new battery they have 'eterna' only requires apparently 6 charges a year and is fairly small.

Boston vs Abbott. Pros and cons?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Really hate that harpoon Tuohy that Boston has for their 16 contact leads. It's giant and super sharp. Especially in a training environment it's a bit intimidating.

But really the most important factor is whether dinner is prix fix or a la carte.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It always comes back to the scallops…

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having implanted Eterna once so far, I'm likely switching to mostly Abbott moving fwd. That IPG pocket took me 30 sec to form. The battery IS extremely small and requires minimal pocket creation.

The smaller the pocket the less infxn risk, the less likely you get pocket pain, the faster the implant and the QoM recharge...This plus direct Abbott customer service.

The Nevro AI thing is a nothing burger IMO.

Having implanted Eterna once so far, I'm likely switching to mostly Abbott moving fwd. That IPG pocket took me 30 sec to form. The battery IS extremely small and requires minimal pocket creation.

The smaller the pocket the less infxn risk, the less likely you get pocket pain, the faster the implant and the QoM recharge...This plus direct Abbott customer service.

The Nevro AI thing is a nothing burger IMO.
I'm sending Matt to fix you.

• Haha
This Matt sounds like a real miscreant full of tomfoolery and ballyhoo.

This Matt sounds like a real miscreant full of tomfoolery and ballyhoo.
9C7A8119-1545-4A1F-8619-4B875918D90D.jpeg

Poor guy. Promoted to management. Here he is wearing a “Facts of Life” blazer, with Cheetos and “Last Starfighter blu-ray”.

All business now.

Really hate that harpoon Tuohy that Boston has for their 16 contact leads. It's giant and super sharp. Especially in a training environment it's a bit intimidating.

But really the most important factor is whether dinner is prix fix or a la carte.
8 years as an attending, 100s of trials and implants, the only wet tap I’ve ever had is with that harpoon. You have to take a really shallow approach angle.

Abbott’s nonrechargeable batteries are much better than BS, but both systems have their pros and cons. I use a little bit of everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Matt looks like a disheveled alcoholic, not that there's anything wrong with that.

The Eterna battery pocket takes 30 sec yall.

I sweep my finger one good time and that part is done.

8 years as an attending, 100s of trials and implants, the only wet tap I’ve ever had is with that harpoon. You have to take a really shallow approach angle.

Abbott’s nonrechargeable batteries are much better than BS, but both systems have their pros and cons. I use a little bit of everything.
About a year ago I was getting back into implants after a several year hiatus, putting a Boston system in the C-spine for a colleague who was out of town. Rep tries to open the harpoon up and hand it to me. I just started laughing. Thanks but no thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
First case of fellowship, attending hands me harpoon. Wet tap. First ever out of hundreds of blind epidurals in residency.

Few months ago in practice I had to replace a fracture 16-contact lead, rep hands me harpoon again and I felt like a fellow all over again.

I use the 14G straight needle from Boston all the time. Never an issue. I always try to come in real shallow though.

About a year ago I was getting back into implants after a several year hiatus, putting a Boston system in the C-spine for a colleague who was out of town. Rep tries to open the harpoon up and hand it to me. I just started laughing. Thanks but no thanks!
I dont know what you gys are talking about in regards to a harpoon?

All the tuohy needles for all the systems are about the same.

As steven mentioned the epiducer by abbott was also large. Aside from eterna's small profile, in regards to programming any differences?

I would also state that the support from the vendor makes a difference. I think the support from both of these companies are similar so to me it's about best technology . Thoughts?

I dont know what you gys are talking about in regards to a harpoon?

All the tuohy needles for all the systems are about the same.
False.

The Boston Scientific introducer system for their 16 contact Infineon lead is sharper than the average access needle for SCS. It also has a bunch of layers which makes it bigger than the average needle.

1679884294195.png

I can't find a good picture of the tip of it, but I have heard more complaints of wet taps from docs with this system than others.

Beyond that though, every system has a slightly different needle. Although they're about the same, it's like comparing a boxed wine to a bottle from your favorite vineyard. They'll all do the job, but the experience is very different. I'm a fan of the curved Medtronic needle or the Epimed RX-2 Coude.

I don't know about the Abbott Eterna yet. It is small which is nice, but their charge burden data are based off the low duty cycle Burst DR which doesn't work for every patient.

False.

The Boston Scientific introducer system for their 16 contact Infineon lead is sharper than the average access needle for SCS. It also has a bunch of layers which makes it bigger than the average needle.

View attachment 368451
I can't find a good picture of the tip of it, but I have heard more complaints of wet taps from docs with this system than others.

Beyond that though, every system has a slightly different needle. Although they're about the same, it's like comparing a boxed wine to a bottle from your favorite vineyard. They'll all do the job, but the experience is very different. I'm a fan of the curved Medtronic needle or the Epimed RX-2 Coude.

I don't know about the Abbott Eterna yet. It is small which is nice, but their charge burden data are based off the low duty cycle Burst DR which doesn't work for every patient.
Wow that thing is bigger!!

I have only used their non infinite products and only have used infinite for a trial .

That needle only used for 16 contact lead for permanent implants

So why is tht size needle used for a Infinion for implant?

I have done trials only with infinion and the touhy needle is the standard sized one for trials.
because the actual infinion for implant has a dual tail, which wont pass through standard size needle

I did several epiducers in fellowship. It was basically gone by the time I got ready for implants in practice. 2014-15 fellowship year.

Purely anecdotal, but I've had problems with all of them and haven't seen that one works better than another. It's like taking your pick between ford vs chevy vs honda vs toyota. But I agree, the abott battery is really small and easy to implant. I just did a nevro implant yesterday and couldn't believe how big it seemed in comparison.