Bought Next Step FL 1-10, Altius FL 1-10. which ones good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteyrFWB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bought Next Step 1-10, also Altius 1-10.

Realistically have time only for 4, maybe 5 FL.

Which ones of those are most realistic or best to use?

On the other hand, which ones are bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Altius... Although I have to say that NS has more math problems in C/P

Reactions: 1 user
Not all Next Step FL are created the same; not all Altius are created equal.

Which ones (1-10 #) are better?

Not all Next Step FL are created the same; not all Altius are created equal.

Which ones (1-10 #) are better?

I did the first 6 as if it was the real thing, I used the last four in sections to get more practice. I liked them all, I was able to score a 129 in BB. Their passages are super research heavy and lots of data analysis questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the first 6 as if it was the real thing, I used the last four in sections to get more practice. I liked them all, I was able to score a 129 in BB. Their passages are super research heavy and lots of data analysis questions
How do you feel their practice exams prepared you for test day? I am in their course and hoping it will turn out well.

How do you feel their practice exams prepared you for test day? I am in their course and hoping it will turn out well.

I think they were really good prep for Bio. Their C/P lacked math... and guess what... MY TEST HAD SO MUCH MATH for C/P. KNOW HOW TO MATH, for psych I thought they were okay but my psych section was so different from any test that I took and my score dropped for that section... A lot of people say that their CARs section is not good, but I thought it was good practice because most of the passages are boring and the answer choices are very close to each other. But then again, AAMC is the best representation of what you will get, yet my test had much more math than any AAMC FLs...

Which "one" or "ones" of 1-10 N.S. and Altius are good, or are crap?

If you are strap for time, which "one or ones" of those 1-10 are your go-to FL?

Having watched 100+ students take Altius 1-10 and examined their scores, there's not a difference between 1-10 in terms of overall quality or usefulness. I think you're looking for something like "6-10 aren't as good, so stick to 1-5." I think about 1.5 years ago the Altius curriculum team was in the middle of updating all 10 exams and, since they went in order 1 through 10, some students taking exams during that time thought 1-5 were easier/better. But, as of this last cycle, I couldn't see anything to suggest that I'd rather have a student take one group over another.

That said, there are some of the 10 exams that are intentionally more difficult, some less difficult, some with more calculations, some with less, some with more physics, some with less, etc. That is done on purpose because the real exam forms vary in the same way. I would suggest you do as many as possible to get exposure to all of the different "types" of exams you can get on test day. My students usually find FLE3 and FLE10 to be the most challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
No experience with Altius, but NextStep exams #1 & #2 gave me scored that were the closest to my actual exam score.

For what it is worth, I do not think you can go wrong with any established prep company. I would use the service that gave the best analysis of missed questions.