BOWWLING TOURNAMENT GAME THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by fishing? If it's at me then cool w/e, but please expound if it is for Fluff.
I mean Fluff. Speculating about PRs like that invites others to respond in a way that may give away whether the speculated pattern fits for them or not, or to start a conversation about PRs which could similarly lead to info getting revealed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That would depend on how it was presented
It goes something like

Hmm, Dubz isn't really pinging me this game
okay, but Dubz pinged me hardcore when she was villaging
so should I be pinged by Dubz's no pings??
I mean, there ARE things that I could explain from a wolf perspective
but that feels like I'm forcing a read I don't believe in
but my reads are **** so I probably shouldn't believe them anyway
okay, I'm just leaving Dubz alone for now
 
Ok here is where I am at, because I haven't had any strong wolf pings yet.

Nooblets are a mystery to me entirely, and I find voting them out D1 both harmful for morale and not overall helpful for identifying their packmates. So, y'all get a D1 pass from me, this game at least.

I won't be voting lawpy, kal, or meats out today since they haven't played in a while, unless they literally come in here howling.

I have tentative village points for Mel, AM, and genny. Vis always pings me D1 so I'm marinating on that. April hasn't pinged me but I also don't have village points for her yet, so I'm going to read back through her posts. Alley is off-limits d1.

I think that leaves sporty :thinking:

So I might just reread and see what I find. In the meantime...

unyeet Mel
What were the villager points on genny?
 
Not much data to go on yet, so it makes sense that there isn't too much conversation yet.

Though if we want hot takes, I can say that Animal Midwife is 85-90% likely to be village.
No.
I agree that her game play is too aggressive for me to consider it non-village.

@Animal Midwife I'm not sure I can rephrase this well-- basically, if I were asking a lot of questions, it would be for a long con. I'd ask silly things, serious things, etc. and establish a persona of hounding people for answers. This produces data, which is good. It produces patterns of response and reactions, which is good. It can also mask when you are trying to figure out something about a specific player without seeming too unusual. There are drawbacks, though, like that it might annoy or intimidate some people.
Also no.
 
Vis
stoat
April

puppy
kal
Zenge

Ivy
violet
zuri
Octo
Sporty
meats

Oxy
fluff
alley

shelter
samac
Lawpy
True

genny
AM
Mel


Edit: quoted from my role PM, forgot to move the quote tags. Fixed now.

My reasonings here are mostly vague feelings and/or snap impressions, but I can try to answer questions about specific placements.

For those unfamiliar with my general process, everyone starts neutral, village points move you towards the green end, wolf points move you towards the red end. So those in neutral may have no points either way, or equal points in both directions. I don't have any super strong wolf or village reads atm, though I am attempting a reread (on page 6 right now).

I kind of feel weird about it because of my history with reading her so might change, but for now

Yeet Vis
 
Talk to me about Visc. I’m getting sheeping feels re: my questioning of truenamer, but I remember that she and I are on the same page a lot as villagers and it could be I was just on thread before her.
I reply to posts sequentially. If I’m replying to a post before yours, then I haven’t read yours yet, except sometimes if I’m tagged/quoted.
 
What made her stand out over the other ultra-lowposters?
Everyone else has shared some thoughts at this point. @WorthlessOxygen has mentioned they have work, and I accept that as an excuse. For @IvyMoose I don't know. I only saw that she was trying hard to catch up. I tend to forgive players that put in the effort but can't keep up. Vetmedhead made a lot of comments about bowling and nothing about the game yet.
 
Vis
stoat
April

puppy
kal
Zenge

Ivy
violet
zuri
Octo
Sporty
meats

Oxy
fluff
alley

shelter
samac
Lawpy
True

genny
AM
Mel


Edit: quoted from my role PM, forgot to move the quote tags. Fixed now.

My reasonings here are mostly vague feelings and/or snap impressions, but I can try to answer questions about specific placements.

For those unfamiliar with my general process, everyone starts neutral, village points move you towards the green end, wolf points move you towards the red end. So those in neutral may have no points either way, or equal points in both directions. I don't have any super strong wolf or village reads atm, though I am attempting a reread (on page 6 right now).

I kind of feel weird about it because of my history with reading her so might change, but for now

Yeet Vis
I'm very curious about your placement of stoat and mel
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of her earlier posts felt a bit lackluster/asking things just to appear to be participating. Maybe because I immediately understood what AM was getting at when she quoted pippy, but the clarification questions on that felt a titch excessive. Her questioning of Truenamer felt more authentic.
I’m more busy with school this semester and simply asking felt more efficient than trying to follow the Pippy quote thread trying to figure out how it related
 
Vis
stoat
April

puppy
kal
Zenge

Ivy
violet
zuri
Octo
Sporty
meats

Oxy
fluff
alley

shelter
samac
Lawpy
True

genny
AM
Mel


Edit: quoted from my role PM, forgot to move the quote tags. Fixed now.

My reasonings here are mostly vague feelings and/or snap impressions, but I can try to answer questions about specific placements.

For those unfamiliar with my general process, everyone starts neutral, village points move you towards the green end, wolf points move you towards the red end. So those in neutral may have no points either way, or equal points in both directions. I don't have any super strong wolf or village reads atm, though I am attempting a reread (on page 6 right now).

I kind of feel weird about it because of my history with reading her so might change, but for now

Yeet Vis
Why is stoat that red?
 
I'm very curious about your placement of stoat and mel
Mel just feels exactly the same as he has for every game I've played with him in the last year. His interactions with AM struck me as in line with how I expect village!Mel to approach her. Other little things here and there. And I haven't gotten any wolfy pings from him yet.

Stoat pinged me with the opening post in our PM and I haven't had any reason to give her village points since.
 
About to make dinner so reading on this later but:

Village-leaning neutral, no particular order:

Justafluff, AM, TrueNamer, Lawpy, Alley

Neutral:
ViolettVet, Shelty, April, Melchizedek

Uncertain/wolfy:
Zenge, Vis, OctoDoc for being eager to join and then incredibly absent

Insufficient data for: many
 
It goes something like

Hmm, Dubz isn't really pinging me this game
okay, but Dubz pinged me hardcore when she was villaging
so should I be pinged by Dubz's no pings??
I mean, there ARE things that I could explain from a wolf perspective
but that feels like I'm forcing a read I don't believe in
but my reads are **** so I probably shouldn't believe them anyway
okay, I'm just leaving Dubz alone for now
Well that's very hedgey, so I'm afraid I can't give you any village points for it 😉
 
About to make dinner so reading on this later but:

Village-leaning neutral, no particular order:

Justafluff, AM, TrueNamer, Lawpy, Alley

Neutral:
ViolettVet, Shelty, April, Melchizedek

Uncertain/wolfy:
Zenge, Vis, OctoDoc for being eager to join and then incredibly absent

Insufficient data for: many
I'm offended
 
Honestly when it gets close to voting time, I'm going to be tempted just to shift my vote to someone who has been conspicuously flying under the radar. I know that being an aggressive/talkative wolf is a thing, but they're not all like that.
 
Insufficient data for: many
I know you said you haven't caught up but it feels odd that you're fairly confident on some players who have barely been around but hedge other relatively active players into insufficient data. At this point I feel like I'd put EVERYONE except myself under insufficient data.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm finding the fluff wagon (that I think is somewhat dissolved) weird and full of some serious reaching. In particular alley's iso that literally just discusses fluff and then fades into the background with relatively little reads on others was weird to me

Also still mulling over April but have her neutral at best rn, just have a weird feeling about how many of her posts seem agreeable but then no real actionable content or are just about how bad she is at reading people previously lol
 
Though @Aprilthearab if you are village, I am not surprised that I'm not pinging you the same way that I was in Casino, since I only have the energy for a game like that once a fiscal year
That's why I'm letting your read sit to the side for now
 
Honestly when it gets close to voting time, I'm going to be tempted just to shift my vote to someone who has been conspicuously flying under the radar. I know that being an aggressive/talkative wolf is a thing, but they're not all like that.
Maybe, but be careful with that. Chronically inactive players might be mod-killed anyway so you don't want to waste your vote. In my opinion it's better to pick someone you could reasonably see being a wolf rather than targeting an inactive player just because you don't have a good read on them yet.
 
Mel just feels exactly the same as he has for every game I've played with him in the last year. His interactions with AM struck me as in line with how I expect village!Mel to approach her. Other little things here and there. And I haven't gotten any wolfy pings from him yet.

Stoat pinged me with the opening post in our PM and I haven't had any reason to give her village points since.
It's actually interesting to me that it pings you so hard for me to be blunt, considering you've seen me openly be sarcastic about being a wolf before. Could you elaborate on this? I think that an "I'm going to ask you this safe question, in the context of assuming we're village and pursuing mutual goals" approach may be hamfisted, but also pretty in-character for me. As long as I got the answer I wanted around your voting choices, it didn't matter to me one way or another if you're a villager or a wolf, and I got information and moved on.
 
I know you said you haven't caught up but it feels odd that you're fairly confident on some players who have barely been around but hedge other relatively active players into insufficient data. At this point I feel like I'd put EVERYONE except myself under insufficient data.
It will change-- and it's not confident! I said village-leaning neutral. The greener side of grey. I don't know who is a wolf so I'm focused on finding out friendlies. That's just easier to do right now.
 
Honestly when it gets close to voting time, I'm going to be tempted just to shift my vote to someone who has been conspicuously flying under the radar. I know that being an aggressive/talkative wolf is a thing, but they're not all like that.
On the other hand, being very busy or unengaged in the game looks just like flying under the radar so inactivity is usually a blind shot at whether or not you'll hit a wolf
 
I know you said you haven't caught up but it feels odd that you're fairly confident on some players who have barely been around but hedge other relatively active players into insufficient data. At this point I feel like I'd put EVERYONE except myself under insufficient data.
Sure, but you also have to consider that you have to follow your feels and firm things up as you go. Yes, the only affiliation you can be 100% confident on is your own (with some few exceptions) but a single player does not a village make.
 
Sure, but you also have to consider that you have to follow your feels and firm things up as you go. Yes, the only affiliation you can be 100% confident on is your own (with some few exceptions) but a single player does not a village make.
I was die-hard confident on the villagerness of some of the wolves in the noob game, so if anything I should NOT follow my feels.
 
It's actually interesting to me that it pings you so hard for me to be blunt, considering you've seen me openly be sarcastic about being a wolf before. Could you elaborate on this? I think that an "I'm going to ask you this safe question, in the context of assuming we're village and pursuing mutual goals" approach may be hamfisted, but also pretty in-character for me. As long as I got the answer I wanted around your voting choices, it didn't matter to me one way or another if you're a villager or a wolf, and I got information and moved on.
There's a difference between just asking me the question, and adding on the "I'm assuming you're village" part. Adding on the latter feels slightly manipulative. "Hey, I'm trusting you" even though you had no reason to, and by your own admission my affiliation did not matter for the purposes of the question you asked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a difference between just asking me the question, and adding on the "I'm assuming you're village" part. Adding on the latter feels slightly manipulative. "Hey, I'm trusting you" even though you had no reason to, and by your own admission my affiliation did not matter for the purposes of the question you asked.
And is that all of it, or is there more?
 
I'm leaning true, AM, Mel more village. I always want to lean dubz village but can't read her for the life of me and just like that she color codes things

I am confused by lawpy's sidebars about how exactly the wolf rojo happened in the noob game as it seems largely irrelevant but became a conversation for multiple players for a hot minute
 
Please expand on this
it was already addressed by other players after I continued reading. I think the line of thinking is a dangerous way to validate reading AM, though I'm not necessarily awarding either of you wolf points for it*. It's just not something I'm condoning either lol
She's salty she's only read me right twice in 5 years.
how about we don't start off the game with me being pissy at you? Don't put words in my mouth.
And frankly, that's a vast misconception of a statement in the first place.

*Edit: cuz you're noobs