BR Atomic Structure Passage III Q17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioG318

Time for Plastic Surgery!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Some Compounds which emits orange light for a transition from the n=4 level to the n=3 level, what must be necessarily True?

A. a transition from the n=5 level to the n=4 level emits green light

B. A transition from the n=4 level to the n=2 level emits red light

C. A transition from the n=6 level to the n=4 level emits violet light

D. A transition from the n=5 level to the n= 3 level emits yellow light

D is the correct answer According to the BR key.

I read the answer explanation but I am still confused. I understand that each color represents a different energy level (ROY G BiV) but I can not connect this to how they figured out the answer.

I also know that n levels farther away from the nucleus have smaller energy differences as opposed to n levels that are closer to the nucleus. I am still lost how this connects to this problem.

If someone could be kind enough to explain this to me.

I am using Kaplan for MCAT content review but BR passages for practice. I have the older books.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

This is a terrible MCAT question. Is there a passage associated with it? Or is it a stand-alone question? The idea here is that since n = 4 to n = 3 emits orange light, n = 5 to n = 3 will emit higher energy light since it's a bigger transition. At the same time, it won't be very different from orange because it's only one more energy level up. So it could be yellow. But there's really no hard and fast way to tell.