Brain dump over gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who took gap years, how was the transition to dental school? I tried to go straight in from undergrad but wasn't accepted the first time around so naturally I had this year off. I know gap years are pretty common so they can't be too detrimental, but in my case I managed to also get ahead in undergrad and had a rediculously easy senior year. Now I am working an entry level blue collar job and I just feel like my brain is withering away. I know most people hear say don't study before dental school begins but in my case could it be a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

What? Your work ethic and will to succeed doesn't just disappear after a year. Things like that are intrinsic, don't overthink it. Your brainpower doesn't just "wither" away unless you have some underlying medical issue.

If anything, you will feel refreshed and ready to rock at the start of D1.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree 100% with Rekker. Currrently a D2 and I went straight in from undergrad. Idk what specifically tipped me off but midway through the spring semester it was obvious who had taken time off before school and who hadn't. The people that came straight from school, myself included, just tended to burn out sooner and it really showed. Towards the end of first year I started really slipping, getting more C's then usual, and just in general struggling compared to the people that had some downtime before dental school.
I've always wanted to do general so this isn't an issue for me, but that early burnout also diminishes your chances of specializing.
Overall, from what I've seen, a year off is actually beneficial to one's life in dental school and future prospects afterwards. So don't beat yourself up, you might've done yourself a huge favor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree with the above posts. The way things worked out I had almost 2 years between undergrad and D school. I had the same fears you do about my knowledge and ability to study going away, but it turned out I was extremely recharged and ready to study hard when it started. I also didn't feel nearly as burned out as others. Your classes will cover everything they want you to know, so don't worry about forgetting things now. Do not study now. Enjoy the blessing of not being stressed all the time, and prepare yourself for the crap storm that is dental school.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys, I suppose I was erroneously thinking in terms of momentum and afraid I would struggle to get back in the swing of things.

I would suggest you look for a better job and take some light class at a community college that will help you in the future
Best thing to take is the Spanish language so that you can deal with Hispanic patients at clinics.

Or Bussiness class about small business that will help you when you start your own practice.

I will take a gap year and I am already very sad about not attending schools for a long time. Some of us really like to study and go to college for the sake of studying and passing time.

I would suggest you look for a better job and take some light class at a community college that will help you in the future
Best thing to take is the Spanish language so that you can deal with Hispanic patients at clinics.

Or Bussiness class about small business that will help you when you start your own practice.

I will take a gap year and I am already very sad about not attending schools for a long time. Some of us really like to study and go to college for the sake of studying and passing time.

No disrespect but I'm gonna completely disagree with this. Dental school takes such a mental toll the first two years that coming in fresh is the best possible thing you can do. You'll do more studying in the next two years than you ever have in your entire life. Not to scare you but the course content really is that big, it gets really enjoyable though when you know that all of the studying is actually to learn more about your career. I don't mind as much when I'm cramming for days for an Endo exam that has information that I really do need to learn about or practicing over and over for a crown prep competency, it's way more work but it feels much more worth it than college did. All of us before this comment had said enjoy yourself and take this downtime to not study and it comes from experience. Just relax and enjoy yourself this year!

No disrespect but I'm gonna completely disagree with this. Dental school takes such a mental toll the first two years that coming in fresh is the best possible thing you can do. You'll do more studying in the next two years than you ever have in your entire life. Not to scare you but the course content really is that big, it gets really enjoyable though when you know that all of the studying is actually to learn more about your career. I don't mind as much when I'm cramming for days for an Endo exam that has information that I really do need to learn about or practicing over and over for a crown prep competency, it's way more work but it feels much more worth it than college did. All of us before this comment had said enjoy yourself and take this downtime to not study and it comes from experience. Just relax and enjoy yourself this year!

I was planning to go to Europe, but money is an issue right now!
Anyway, you know better than me about dental schools, thanks for the advice. I still think he should get another job just because he seemed not happy about it.