Status
Not open for further replies.

medshoes

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

My memory used to be really good, almost photographic, but now I notice I forget stuff unless I study it a lot of times. I just want to have the mental clarity to do well in my courses...I used to take meds, but I don't have a mental illness, just was going through rough patches of life, and the meds didn't really help. Now I'm in a better place, but I'm taking hard courses this term, and I'm wondering if brain supplements like omega and gingko would help for mind and mood. I'm taking Neuroclarity and omega right now.

breezy16

7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Everyone has their own experience with supplements and their own stories; if it makes you feel better, go ahead. However, as someone who has corporate exp with these items, the majority of products have no clinical backing, lack the appropriate amount of ingredient with a linked study (study sees results with 2g /day and supplement uses 10mg / day), or still use ingredients that have multiple, large metastudies contradicting claims.

Do your research and make the decision for yourself, if you really want to know. Conversely, take the pill and have hope; I can never discount placebo effects in the worse case scenario.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Exercise is better, and there's data to back that up.

Jul 29, 2015
Yeah absolutely agree that exercise is great for the brain. Also diet is pretty crucial for the brain google "brain foods " and there's plenty of them.

Also caffeine helped me out a lot haha

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
That wouldn't help his memory, would probably make it worse
That was why I asked. They are commonly prescribed for the type of "rough patches" he was describing (if they were rough due to anxiety) and could potentially explain why he was noticing a recent deficit in his memory. Obviously not a great idea to get diagnosed by a premed on the internet, but it's something he could look into.

OP
M

medshoes

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I wasn't on benzos, but I just looked up the medication I was on, and it seems to cause memory loss...

Not sure if taking gingko will help either after researching it... seems to cause cancer in animals too...

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Diet, sleep, and exercise.

Sorry, no one has found NZT-48 from Limitless in real life yet. Great movie though!!!

Reactions: werunthis

Afp0731

2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I take yohimbine every day and I have to say my mental clarity is noticeably better. Diet and exercise work wonders as well.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
SDN isn't for medical advice.

Dec 18, 2014
Sleeping somewhere on Route 12
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I found that tea is awesome for the brain. In addition to having caffeine tea also has L-theanine which, i believe, stops you getting jittery and stops you from crashing. Plus you don't run the risk of having odd vitamins or supplements in your body, tea's been verified safe for thousands of years!
Published study on tea and its mental alertness effects: http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/17 Suppl 1//167.pdf
Some abstracts (papers behind paywalls :( ): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21040626 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25714035

also +1 to exercise!

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
SDN isn't for medical advice. Consult your PCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.