Break during dedicated or nah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, this is a bit of a silly question, so I don't want to ask my classmates it. I'm starting my dedicated studying for step 1 in early May, and I'm scheduled to take it June 22nd. Is it crazy to consider spending a weekend+ not studying at Bonaroo (June 7-10)?
I'm not a particularly neurotic person by med student standards and sometimes I can be overlax with things like this which is probably why I'm considering it. Do you know of/or personally did you take any breaks during dedicated to do something non-medically related, just for fun, especially that close to the test date?
Anyways like I said I know it's a silly question but I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb decision so any input is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

For step 1 I took a long weekend off to travel to a destination with friends in the middle of my dedicated. Just tried to get decent sleep while there and not too heavy of drinking so I could be fresh and ready to jump back into the studying after getting back. I didn't regret it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did plenty of fun things and often took whole weekends off. For my students I make sure everyone does at least one day off a week, I think you need breaks to not get burnt out! To motivate yourself, make sure you take an NBME early.

Reactions: 1 user
go...

I'm in Canada, and even though we don't even cover tons of step1 material (our preclerkship is more step2 focused, rather than memorize the biochem pathway) people are WAY more relaxed about studying, yet seem to score really well from what I've heard. Like multiple weekends off. So its possible....despite what people here seem to say