Breaking 500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc123456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! My mcat is in three weeks and I have yet to break 500 on my Kaplan full lengths. I'm freaking out. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

My next scheduled practice test is on Thur, so I plan on taking the AAMC one then. I'm going to start the section banks tomorrow night

My next scheduled practice test is on Thur, so I plan on taking the AAMC one then. I'm going to start the section banks tomorrow night

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you studying full time? What other obligations do you have?
Yes! I have been studying since May. I reduced my hours at work to two days a week (Friday and Saturday night). Other than work, I have been studying. I just don't know why I am not breaking 500 yet.

What does your study schedule look like? Are you passively reading, actively learning, doing proper passages or only discretes? Hat trick?

How close are you to 500? We won't judge.

There are so many variables at play, it may be difficult to diagnose a problem without more information. More info please.

What does your study schedule look like? Are you passively reading, actively learning, doing proper passages or only discretes? Hat trick?

How close are you to 500? We won't judge.

There are so many variables at play, it may be difficult to diagnose a problem without more information. More info please.

Basically every morning when I wake up, I do three Cars passages and pull up the explanations as to why that is the answer (after picking my answer). After that I read chapters from my Kaplan books that I have assigned for the day. What I do is I take my time to read and understand the information and jot it down on paper.

Then either during the night or the next day I do the Kaplan q bank questions for that chapter I read and write down the explanations for the answers I got wrong.

*I have read through all the books passively, except for physics and the metabolism portion of biochem. I have a hard time with physics so I'm kinda avoiding that (I know I shouldn't lol). Any tips for conquering physics is super appreciated!!

I am super nervous for this exam and I always think I won't be able to pass 500 :( . Does that have to do with it?

Kaplan FL 1 (diagnostic): 486

Kaplan FL 2: 490

Kaplan FL 3: 494

Next practice exam set for this Thursday

Do you have score breakdowns? I would do an item analysis if you can of your previous FLs to see where exactly the mistakes are. You may find they are concentrated in a specific group of topics.

If you want to modify your approach, I would generally suggest this:

1. Don't correct your answers until the next day. Reference the SN2ed thread for reasoning. The idea is you're too close to see the big picture, and too emotionally involved to really understand why things are right/wrong.
2. Go over ALL the questions, right or wrong. Go over every answer choice, why is it right/wrong, how could you reword incorrect answers to make it correct, or how could you reword the question to make an incorrect answer choice correct.
3. Keep a log of your mistakes, and try to diagnose why exactly you aren't succeeding. Are you misreading questions, misreading answers, not reading all the answers, rushing to select an answer, is it a content issue, etc. Go over your log once a week and see if there are any patterns to the mistakes you are making.

I would also invest some time into SN2ed's "Hat Trick," especially if you are having difficulty integrating concepts between subjects. With three weeks left, if your content knowledge is solid, the Hat Trick plus timed passages are your best bet.

If there are large gaps in your knowledge, and I'm going to be frank, you said you've been avoiding physics which is really bad with only 3 weeks left. You stated in another thread that you're already in the process of completing secondaries, so you really just need to take the exam now.

Your practice exams are showing growth, and Kaplan FLs are notorious for being inaccurate representations of your projected score. I wouldn't stress too hard at the Kaplan scores. If you can, I would do the AAMC FL1 this Thursday, and then report back with your score.