breaking a contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incognito2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to dread the start of the program I am in. I don't want to be at this place nor do I even want to do the specialty I'm in (whole different story). I was going to suck it up and complete a year but I know I would be absolutely miserable. Are there any legal ramifications (ethics aside) to backing out of your contract other than your program MAY sue you. Why would they, you can't get blood from stone?

Members don't see this ad.

most places will frown upon it but theres nothing much they can do! they dont have the time and resources to come after you even if they could

ive seen people drop out at the start time and all thruout the year

dont fret it...get out before you are even more miserable and let some1 have your spot who is wanting it

Have you really already signed a contract, or a letter of intent?
In contracts there is usually a section on termination, you could do it as the contract outlines or you could just call them up and tell them you can't come.
I would say that some of this depends on your specialty choice and what you want to do in the future.
After doing an internship in a field that I really didn't want to be in, my bias would be to tell you not to do it. Maybe there is something that you could do in the city that you are already located in, maybe a TY year until you get things figured out? Either way, internship does suck, but not all internships are created equally.
I might be able to help more, but you would need to give more details.
Good luck to you!
By the way, I am leaving my current field and couldn't be happier about that, but this last year was torture!

I can't be specific right now because I know that a lot of my fellow residents read these forums. I have signed a contract for one year. So as of now it's 2:1 that I don't start the program. The only thing I worry about is my fellow interns-to-be. If the program is unable to find someone on such short notice they are the ones that will have to pick up my slack, So obviously the sooner the better.

I would advise you to leave, especially if you have another position available.

As for leaving your program hanging, I know that there are many who would jump at the chance to grab a residency spot,...

Good luck.