Breaks during step 1 exam (test in 2 days)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I havent seen the option to take breaks in the NBME practice exams. So on the real exam how exactly do you initiate your breaks. Is there a button or something at the end of each block?

Members don't see this ad.

Once you finish a block a screen will pop up that allots 30 seconds to choose to either go on break or continue onto the next block. Additionally, after EVERY break you will have to put in your CIN (candidate ID number) in order to access the block. Try to be back at least 30 seconds before your alloted break time so you can type your CIN because the timer is ticking even while you type in your information. I got subtracted 20 seconds on my last block because I overshot my break and rushed to put in my CIN.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought we had like a total of 1 hr break time and that it was up to us to choose how to divide it up- is that completely wrong?

Yes, you are correct. You will have up to 1 hour maximum. What I meant was if you take smaller breaks in between block is when you have to put in your CIN when you come back from break, as well as when you come back from lunch. For example, here was my break-down
Tutorial: Skip
Block 1
5 minute break
Block 2
10 minute break
Block 3
5 minute break
Block 4
10 minute break
Block 5
lunch (20-25 minutes)
Block 6
5 minute break
Block 7
Go home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly -- skip the tutorial if possible and maximize your break time. My biggest tips:

1) PEE EARLY, PEE OFTEN!!! Few things suck more than being 1/3 through a block and realizing you have to pee really bad.

2) Hydrate and snack continuously -- high protein preferred. Beware carb crashes.

3) Bring Tylenol. I took 500mg before the first block and 1000mg at the halfway point. You will get a headache from staring a screen for so many hours. Be prepared.

4) Play the long game -- remember that your score will be made or broken in the last blocks of the exam when you are at your most exhausted. Plan and use your breaks so you get to this point with lots of energy. For me this meant frequent walks outside during breaks to get some sunshine, and lots of food/drink.

5) Don't forget to pee.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
what exactly is the tutorial? Also to clarify- so pretend after block 1 I want to take a 25 min break (just hypothetically)- I would be able to do that? Or is there a limit on maximum break that one can take?

what exactly is the tutorial? Also to clarify- so pretend after block 1 I want to take a 25 min break (just hypothetically)- I would be able to do that? Or is there a limit on maximum break that one can take?

The tutorial is basically just showing you how the interface works. If you've used uworld/nbme's you shouldn't need to use it except to go to the part where you make sure your headphones/sound work.

AFAIK there's no limit on break time as long as you're within your overall allotment, and time you have left over at the end of blocks is also added to your accumulated break time counter.

if you have a legitimate prescription for adderall or provigil, then you wont need any breaks other then needing to drink water and peeing.

if you have a legitimate prescription for adderall or provigil, then you wont need any breaks other then needing to drink water and peeing.

Don't want to hijack the thread with this question, but this just came to mind. Do you know whether I'll be given a hard time for taking Ritalin into the testing center (prescribed for ADD). What I mean is: would I have to get it cleared ahead of time, or would I be okay as long as I bring them in the original labeled pharmacy bottles and don't put them in a ziplock or something?

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone confirm that the 15 minute thing from the tutorial still gets added to your total break time if you fly through it? I heard rumors that they got rid of that this year.

Don't want to hijack the thread with this question, but this just came to mind. Do you know whether I'll be given a hard time for taking Ritalin into the testing center (prescribed for ADD). What I mean is: would I have to get it cleared ahead of time, or would I be okay as long as I bring them in the original labeled pharmacy bottles and don't put them in a ziplock or something?

They didn't check any of the belongings I placed into my locker. I mostly had food and a water bottle. I brought a single tablet of Motrin in a sandwich bag because I thought it would look weird if I brought the container. But anyways, they never checked it.

I don't think they would stop you from taking your medications during the breaks.

Can anyone confirm that the 15 minute thing from the tutorial still gets added to your total break time if you fly through it? I heard rumors that they got rid of that this year.

Yes, the 15 minutes get added to your break. I took it last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to offer some suggestions.

Make sure to factor in the actual amount of time you can actually spend in your break.

What I mean is your ideal schedule of 5 minutes between each block may not be so easy to manage. At least that's how I found it. The problem is it can take 2 sometimes, 2.5 minutes to go thru the security check (metal detector, pulling up sleeves, finger prints etc).

Oh and don't wear pockets! My friend warned me of this- because then you would have to let them check your pockets too everytime you come back -- which would waste more time!!

During my first break I went to the bathroom, had some water, an then went through the check, got back an entered my CIN. I think 8 or 9 minutes had passed!!!

The next two blocks I took breaks but remained sitting at my station.

I took a long break for lunch when I had 1 block left. Before that I went out briefly, stayed near the lockers, had a snack, some water, and went back in. I didn't go out. My most feared scenario was running out of break time and having my block time get cut short!!

I just wanted to offer some suggestions.

Make sure to factor in the actual amount of time you can actually spend in your break.

What I mean is your ideal schedule of 5 minutes between each block may not be so easy to manage. At least that's how I found it. The problem is it can take 2 sometimes, 2.5 minutes to go thru the security check (metal detector, pulling up sleeves, finger prints etc).

Oh and don't wear pockets! My friend warned me of this- because then you would have to let them check your pockets too everytime you come back -- which would waste more time!!

During my first break I went to the bathroom, had some water, an then went through the check, got back an entered my CIN. I think 8 or 9 minutes had passed!!!

The next two blocks I took breaks but remained sitting at my station.

I took a long break for lunch when I had 1 block left. Before that I went out briefly, stayed near the lockers, had a snack, some water, and went back in. I didn't go out. My most feared scenario was running out of break time and having my block time get cut short!!

I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere, but can you leave the test room with a block still going? Like if I finished a block with 10 minutes leftover could I just take a quick break without ending the block?

I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere, but can you leave the test room with a block still going? Like if I finished a block with 10 minutes leftover could I just take a quick break without ending the block?
IIRC they interpret any time longer than 5 minutes during a block without user input as a testing irregularity.

That would be considered irregular activity, which is not good because they'll write you up for that. I remember I went out once and I was asked whether it was a scheduled break or not and she said, "Good, if it wasn't I would have to write you up."

Although you can leave a block unfinished with the "lock" feature, it is only to be used in EXTREME EMERGENCIES.

The tutorial will cover how to use the lock feature. Basically if you don't use the mouse for a certain amount of time the exam will go into an unauthorized break automatically anyway. However, you can choose to stop a block in the middle by "locking" but your time will NOT stop. When you come back, say 5 minutes later, you will have lost 5 minutes from your block time. Plus you'll be noted down for irregular behavior... Overall, NOT a good idea.

In this scenario you would just click to end the block and the extra time would be added to your break time. But you have to click to end it, don't just leave it going as others have said.

When can you write notes on the marker board they give you? I have heard conflicting answers to this. Some said you can only start writing things as soon as the real time counter starts from when you enter the tutorial.

Others said you can write before you input your info/start the real tutorial.

Once the proctors seat you inside the actual test room, can you write down equations,2x2's,etc before you enter your identification info or rather, before the clock starts from the tutorial??

Is there any official usmle documentation on this?

According to USMLE.org-Examinees testing on or after the week of May 11, 2015: (http://usmle.org/step-1/)

Step 1 is a one-day examination. The testing day includes 308 multiple-choice items divided into 7 blocks of 44 items; 60 minutes are allotted for completion of each block of test items. On the test day, examinees have a minimum of 45 minutes of break time and a 15- minute optional tutorial. The amount of time available for breaks may be increased by finishing a block of test items or the optional tutorial before the allotted time expires.

In this scenario you would just click to end the block and the extra time would be added to your break time. But you have to click to end it, don't just leave it going as others have said.

According to USMLE.org-Examinees testing on or after the week of May 11, 2015: (http://usmle.org/step-1/)

Step 1 is a one-day examination. The testing day includes 308 multiple-choice items divided into 7 blocks of 44 items; 60 minutes are allotted for completion of each block of test items. On the test day, examinees have a minimum of 45 minutes of break time and a 15- minute optional tutorial. The amount of time available for breaks may be increased by finishing a block of test items or the optional tutorial before the allotted time expires.

Nice, thanks guys. So there's actually benefit to finishing early. Is there a running timer of your break time somewhere?

Nice, thanks guys. So there's actually benefit to finishing early. Is there a running timer of your break time somewhere?

Pretty sure there are two timers: one active during each block, i.e. 6o minutes each, and one active for the entire day once you enter your ID/pin/whatever it's called counting down from eight hours, i.e. seven 1-hour blocks + 15 minute tutorial + 45 minute break. So when you skip the tutorial or end a block early, there wouldn't be a specific listing of how much extra time you've accumulated, just your total time left minus however many blocks you have left x60 minutes.

4) Play the long game -- remember that your score will be made or broken in the last blocks of the exam when you are at your most exhausted. Plan and use your breaks so you get to this point with lots of energy. For me this meant frequent walks outside during breaks to get some sunshine, and lots of food/drink.

Good luck!

Anybody ever thought about how f'ed up testing for 8 straight hours is? I was so exhausted at the end of the day I almost passed out in the car driving back home.

I figured 5-min break is not manageable since you have to check in and out. So can you just sit in front of the computer for 5 mins and go to the next block by yourself?