Bringing Profolio/Briefcase to an interview --- Yes or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike0817

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should a guy bring a profolio/briefcase to an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been on 2 interviews so far, and haven't seen anybody with one.

I think a portfolio would be ok. A briefcase would be a little too cumbersome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they're pointless, but if it makes you feel comfortable carrying stuff around during the interview day....

Definitely no on the briefcase, didn't see anyone else either.

I brought a portfolio with extra resumes, a pen, and pad of paper....call it habit from job interviews. Plus, gave my hands something to do without looking too awkward.

From the pharmacy interview/ graduate school interview seminars that I been to, the speakers said there is nothing wrong with bringing a portfolio. Theres nothing wrong with putting a "cheat sheet" in your profolio, jotting down notes on the questions that might be asked and notes on what you might want to bring up/ say in the interview. Theres also nothing wrong with listing several questions on that cheat sheet to bring up after the interview.

When they ask you..."do you have any questions?"
From the seminars...they said, theres nothing wrong with going into your profolio to look up a question.

But thats just from what I've been told, by very knowledgeable people that have conducted interviews for pharmacy, pt, med, and dent. schools. Of course, your not going to use your profolio durning the interview though.

Yes to the portfolio. Almost everyone had them at the two interviews I've had so far.
Briefcase may be a bit pompous, I'd say no.

Portfolios are common at interviews. I only used mine to store things but it also made me feel a little bit more comfortable throughout the day.

I brought a portfolio to the interview only because I was told I should. It also let me make notes that were pertinent to the application cycle, so it`s definitely handy. Some people had briefcases, but they looked out of place.

Thank you for everyone opinion. Correction...portfolio...not "profolio" :)

I brought a portfolio to all my interviews so far. I kept notes in it for when I had downtime. Hasn't been essential or anything, but it's nice having something familiar to hold. I would say about 1/4 to 1/3 of the interviewees had one, and nobody has brought a briefcase that I've seen.

I bought a portfolio from my school. I bring it to all of my interview. I agree to the Yes to portfolio. Besides what was mentioned above, such as having something your hand to keep you busy, listing notes for yourself, its really handy and makes you look professional. But what I like most about it is every interview I would always see the Logo of my school, while not all have made this far. I kinda feel that I am representing my undergrad school as well while I'm also thankful for the school and professors that helped me. So yeah, I don't know if this "sentimental" thing would work for you but it pumps me up.

At most, bring a 25 cent folder from walmart to keep papers in. What in the world would you bring a briefcase for? Everyone will just be thinking: (1) What in the hell does he have in that briefcase? or (2) What an idiot, faking like he's got all kinds of important documents in that dam briefcase.

Just bring something like this:

leatherport.jpg

I'd say yes to a nice portfolio, pad, and pen. I'd treat the interview like in any other professional manner. A portfolio shows you are prepared, even if you don't use it IMO.

okay, this question is for ladies: do you bring anything to interview? I brought a small purse to keep wallet in, pen, toiletries. I saw one girl with a huge bag which i thought was not necessary. Or it is better to just arrive empty handed?

okay, this question is for ladies: do you bring anything to interview? I brought a small purse to keep wallet in, pen, toiletries. I saw one girl with a huge bag which i thought was not necessary. Or it is better to just arrive empty handed?

I just sounded what you mentioned above. :laugh: I think it's uncool (if I were to ask cartman) but I had no choice and I sucked it up since I'm traveling I kinda squeezed everything in one bag + I didn't want to go back to the hotel and pay extra $$$ + I didn't drive either (I used shuttle and get to interview the driver about the city). Small bag is fine, if you want to look stylish or to keep your hands with something. Just don't carry bags like LV or you know those flashy thingy. It's not a fashion show.